Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PocketPower: Plug and Play for the 996TT ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 04:45 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Divi996TT
Vishnu:

Thanks for the info regarding "PocketPower". Seems that you are going to be one of the first tuners to offer this service in the USA.

WCE:
Great letter. I know that someone will have this installed in their 996tt and we will be able to get a better idea of the performance.

Divi
Hi Divi,
We're in the process of becoming a forum sponsor right now. Once we're set, I'll go ahead and post up more info with dyno graphs
-shiv
Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Doesn't a GIAC reflash cost $2000-3500?

-shiv
It depends on the program and the options chosen. We also have the ability to flash 5 programs at a time as well as use that same controller to switch your Audi or VW. Might be some merit to letting customer flash their own software however it seems that an additional day is required to ship the unit back and forth. Also how does the software deal wiht the ECU counter that the dealer can read?

This product sounds similar to the Diablo that came out about 3 years ago. If I saw a picture of it I could verify if it the same product.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Divi996TT
Track Day

Stephen:
Was the " Diablo" good for the 996TT ? There is a picture of the "Pocketpower" at their site: http://www.milfordmicros.co.uk

Divi
Old 12-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

I'm confused at times to why anyone would in this part of the lifecycle of the 996TT use or purchase anything other than proven technology...

The 996TT has been out since 01 and there are several reliable tuners that have been at this for years.. They have played out all the issues and have rock solid packages. Their package prices have come down a little and I would imagine when the 997TT hits they will come down a little more.

Yes these new products may be cheaper.. and I'm not saying they may not turn out to be dependable. But you have tuners that have over 20K-30K on there packages with no problems and in some cases even more miles than that. So why not just spend a little more and go with the proven tuners and bypass any tuners learning curve? IMHO of course...

I fully believe that people should spend their dollars on what makes them happy... Not what others say.. So to each is own in the end..
Old 12-21-2005, 12:51 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

No, doesn't appear to be the same unit. Same theory though.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Divi996TT
Track Day

Oh, of course we have to wait until we get performance data and dyno runs. I believe there is always a market for people that dont live close to a giac/upsolute dealer ( eventhought, there is the option of mailing it). Me, I dont live close to one and not sure if I want to get the ecu out. Dont know if by me getting it out, would leave a trace that I was there( Working under the backseat).

Divi
Old 12-21-2005, 10:15 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

\Dont know if by me getting it out, would leave a trace that I was there( Working under the backseat).

Divi
No not at all. But if you flash an ECU and the system can not reflash the counter then the dealer will know something has been done to it. Also some maps will create a DME cross reference error. It says "data tampered with" All of which alerts the dealer you have been playing What those issues. We have carefully addressed each of these. I have a PST2 so I am constantly testing to make sure that watchful eyes will not know
Old 12-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Oh, of course we have to wait until we get performance data and dyno runs. I believe there is always a market for people that dont live close to a giac/upsolute dealer ( eventhought, there is the option of mailing it). Me, I dont live close to one and not sure if I want to get the ecu out. Dont know if by me getting it out, would leave a trace that I was there( Working under the backseat).

Divi
At the time I did my flash the closest GIAC dealer was in Kansas City... Hmmm some guy that posts here on occasion... I took it out sent it to him and he turned it around the same day he recieved it..... It does not matter where you live...
Old 12-22-2005, 02:55 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gary (Fl)
I'm confused at times to why anyone would in this part of the lifecycle of the 996TT use or purchase anything other than proven technology...
Advances and improvements do occur in every field. It's what improves the overal state of the art. Implying that something has reached its ultimate potential paints a pretty dull picture, doesn't it?

We don't want to disrespect any given product. We just want to provide the best possible product that we think is feasible. "Best" is a pretty broad term and will interpreted differently by different people with different priorites. I will say this though: This product is spearheaded by a very diverse team of people, with a lot of cummulative knowledge, covering a wide range of expertise. I think users will see what we are doing soon enough and will be able to determine if it addresses their needs. Gosh, I hate obtuse answers But there is more info coming very soon...

Regards,
shiv
Old 12-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Advances and improvements do occur in every field. It's what improves the overal state of the art. Implying that something has reached its ultimate potential paints a pretty dull picture, doesn't it?

We don't want to disrespect any given product. We just want to provide the best possible product that we think is feasible. "Best" is a pretty broad term and will interpreted differently by different people with different priorites. I will say this though: This product is spearheaded by a very diverse team of people, with a lot of cummulative knowledge, covering a wide range of expertise. I think users will see what we are doing soon enough and will be able to determine if it addresses their needs. Gosh, I hate obtuse answers But there is more info coming very soon...

Regards,
shiv

Wish you the best in your efforts !!

I understand that technology is always changing... I make a living in the technology field... There is a point of diminishing returns though... You can get packages today for the 996TT that put down over 700HP to the wheels.. Anything inbetween has been done by many..

Take the 993TT.... By this time everything that can be done is out there and proven... I was just making a point that IMHO we are getting very close to the same on the 996TT.. The 997TT will bring new life to tuners...

I'm not implying anything about your product and if people are not willing to continue to advance technology, where would we be today...

So keep on truckin...
Old 12-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Regarding the Vishnu product:

I had the priviledge of viewing/experiencing the 996TT Vishnu product yesterday (12/21). The features and benefits add immense value to the well laid smooth horsepower and torque increase. It's so painless, and doesn't require shipping components to various destinations and the related labor and risk of upgrading turbos, overboosting for the sake of numbers, etc. The ease of use design, packaging and performance are superior.

From a software and development standpoint, the Vishnu product is unique and VERY INTERESTING. Clearly, the overall time spent mapping, testing and load testing for results is beyond what I've seen from the other software suppliers.

I understand they are working to accomodate all post MY2000 Porsche models and have a solution underway for the GT3.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:34 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Thanks for the kind words Austin. I just finished mapping the car that you saw the other day. Here are the results:

The car:
Bone stock 2002 996tt. 21k miles on clock. No mods whatsoever. 91oct gas. As tested on our in-house Dyno Dynamics AWD dyno which seems to be a bit more conservatively calibrated that other dynos around (mustang, dynapack, dynojet, etc,.) The car was *not* converted to 2wd. For 2wd Dynojet equivalence, mulitiply the numbers by ~1.22. Or to avoid confusion by comparing dynos with different calibrations, comparing % gains at various engine speeds may be more useful (ie. 42% gain in whp and torque at 4800rpm.)

All-wheel HP and Torque--Stock runs vs. Custom-tuned runs:

Boost and AFR-- Stock vs. Custom-tuned

Here's a pretty pics from today's tuning:

If anyone has any questions, fire away...

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; 12-23-2005 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:59 AM
shiv@vishnu
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
It depends on the program and the options chosen. We also have the ability to flash 5 programs at a time as well as use that same controller to switch your Audi or VW. Might be some merit to letting customer flash their own software however it seems that an additional day is required to ship the unit back and forth. Also how does the software deal wiht the ECU counter that the dealer can read?

This product sounds similar to the Diablo that came out about 3 years ago. If I saw a picture of it I could verify if it the same product.
Hi,
As you stated, this is not the same product as the Diablo. To be honest, I'm not familiar with that product so I can't really make any valid comparisons between the two.

And to address your comments, there are a number of advantages associated with letting the customer flash their own car. And just one of them is that they don't have to tear into their interior, rip out their ECU, send it to a tuner and turn their $130,000 car into a 3500lb lawn ornament for 2-3 days Another being that they don't have to pay extra $, or invest extra time, to update their ECU file to accomodate additional future upgrades. I still don't understand why a "stage X" program is one price and a "stage Y" program is another, more expensive, price. In my opinion, the price of a ROM file should be standardized, regardless of what upgrades it is calibrated for. And updates/improvements to the ROM file should be free and easily attainable by the end user.

As for map switching, being able to switch to a "stock" ECU file should do just that-- switch to a completly stock ECU rom file. Right down to the last bit of information. How this can be done if the ECU is internally equipped with map switching abilities? I'm not trying to be argumentitive... I really don't know. As far as dealership scrutineering is concerned, the ROM file needs to be 100% standard. The approach we have taken assures that this is indeed the case.

As always, there are pros and cons associated with any approach. It's up the customer to see which one best fits their needs.

Cheers
shiv
Old 12-23-2005, 09:47 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Very similar concept. The program was preloaded you had two choices stock/performance and the unit was shipped to you. You flashed your own car to stock/performance as needed. The unit concept never caught on after people could not get programs beyond the initial tune.

As you head down the tuning road with these cars you will. I also do standalone on older Porsches. Tuning one program and tuning one EFI conversion is not the same. The TT has over 2700 maps in it! Not the 2 major ones that you are use to seeing in the AEM conversions etc. When you go to write for the K24 programs you will see that there are some issues that need to be addressed not in the main maps. When you go to tune a GT2 verses a TT the maps are not in the same place. Software versions switched in mid year and the same program will cause the Cruise not to work. There are various reasons why. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to tune a car, the development that has to go into that tune and how many will be sold. In time the price comes down as people buy. As seen in our product the last couple of years.

To farther your question why? Because things like a clear DME trace is found. Meaning it can be map compared on all levels and shown not modified. The reset counter is unchanged in count. All of these become issues that take time and patience to find in a string of 2700 maps. You will also find that with some turbos you will need to change boost map overshoot offset. Now this is something that only 20% of the tuner companies can address accurately on all levels. Remapping of the Egas response and data delivery is changed. All of these things take time, research and knowledge... to do so is costly. It is more than just HP.

Lastly, warranty is for life, the largest set of dealer backing in the industry. (at least in the US) In that dealer network some very well respected engine builders and shops. Support is unreal. Problems will occur in any product. The ability to correct them on the fly is what is important.

Also FWIW software updates with in the same versions are always free....for life.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Woodster
Drifting

I agree with Stephen about problems may occur and the ability to deal with them is
of utmost importance!

Marty K

Quick Reply: PocketPower: Plug and Play for the 996TT ??