Sponsored by:

Price for K16 Modified Turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 02:19 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Marty,
It slides into the edge of the top. Pop it back up and look, you will see it can really only go one way.

That is all good. You guys should work on your own stuff. It is simple, you break it you will learn from that and not do it again. Then the next guy that says "hey how do I" you will be able to help him and so the torch passes on. Reading about and watching your wrench do things does nothing to promote working knowledge. It would be like someone telling you what turkey in the oven on Thanksgiving smelled like rather than experiencing it for yourself.

Alex,
Yea, well you should be. What I am doing about it I don't know. The stretch then snap. Tore the hell out the crank and bellhousing. Of course all the guys are making fun of me because at the time we thought I blew the clutch. We all about fell over when I got the tranny out. This happened back in July..

The good thing about all this is that we got you to chime in and talk about real life experiences and drives rather than answering intake and CEL questions
Yes, the real world stuff is fun. I agree. Much better than the CEL stuff
Old 11-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

It is never a win/win situation. If you supply baseline "stock" dyno runs with the same car, and same engine and then apply whatever mods you see fit to do. Then run you runs, but not on a 8 second sweep.. Pull a 25 second run and see where you are at..

On a good dyno, Maha, Mustang, DynaPack, and so forth.. You can dial the load at a selected RPM.. So an operator could infact pick a RPM and load.. Lets say 500HP at 5500.. You could hold hold it there until the engine runs out of gas, or you kill your engine..

In the end it is to be used as a comparison.. The customer needs to first decide on the weight of these test and a relationship that he has with his tuner.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:47 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stephen,

I really value your participation.

Here is were I currently stand on my 993tt. This was with the front diff connected!

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...id=61513&stc=1

Aside from some minor headbutting this has been a excellant thread.

Folks Stephen's car is the real deal. I have never seen a car spin the tires on the rims so bad before.

Tom
Old 11-11-2005, 04:48 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD

Alex,
Yea, well you should be. What I am doing about it I don't know. The stretch then snap. Tore the hell out the crank and bellhousing. Of course all the guys are making fun of me because at the time we thought I blew the clutch. We all about fell over when I got the tranny out. This happened back in July..

Yes, the real world stuff is fun. I agree. Much better than the CEL stuff
Yeps, I'm scared to see what happens. The car is running better and better with a few tweaks and improved gas since I ran the 10.6 @135. Hopefully I'll require a parachute soon
Old 11-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Red9
Racer

Sharkster, at the risk of repetition, have you outlined your current mods on a thread somewhere?To Stephen and Kevin and others with knowledge--- it is very interesting to read and see all these views dabated. I too live over a stretch of water and a long way from Germany and experience with many engines seem to see them losing at least 10% of stated numbers -- curiously about the same difference seems to be apparent for engines out of the US on their journey!
Having reason locally to dyno car for an official type accredited reading I have often gone from one dyno to another at the local Porsche dealer only to see much higher numbers on the Porsche Dyno.The Porsche Dyno seems to align with generally stated numbers for Porsches standard numbers. It would be easier to keep customers happy that way. On the other hand , the conservative dyno that I use regurlarly is closely aligned in numbers to others I have seen the same engine on.
There is no answer to comparing dynos long distances apart.What is comparable is the shootout comparison done at same dyno ,near enough at the same time. Whether any of it translates to usable HP is another question . I might add-- shearing flywheel bolts would be a fair indicator!
Old 11-12-2005, 03:18 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Red9
Sharkster, at the risk of repetition, have you outlined your current mods on a thread somewhere?To Stephen and Kevin and others with knowledge--- it is very interesting to read and see all these views dabated. I too live over a stretch of water and a long way from Germany and experience with many engines seem to see them losing at least 10% of stated numbers -- curiously about the same difference seems to be apparent for engines out of the US on their journey!
Having reason locally to dyno car for an official type accredited reading I have often gone from one dyno to another at the local Porsche dealer only to see much higher numbers on the Porsche Dyno.The Porsche Dyno seems to align with generally stated numbers for Porsches standard numbers. It would be easier to keep customers happy that way. On the other hand , the conservative dyno that I use regurlarly is closely aligned in numbers to others I have seen the same engine on.
There is no answer to comparing dynos long distances apart.What is comparable is the shootout comparison done at same dyno ,near enough at the same time. Whether any of it translates to usable HP is another question . I might add-- shearing flywheel bolts would be a fair indicator!
Hi Red,

Well there's a lorrrrra parts and it's late In a nut shell I have the EVO GT800 kit with some extras. PLus I have a full JRZ and ERP race suspension set up. Brembo GTR brakes etc.... etc... I'll dig up some old threads in a bit to see where all that info went! My car has had all kindsa of things on it but that's where it sits right now. 10.6@135mph in the 1/4 which to date is the quickest in the US that we know of.. I'm sure there are quicker 996TT's that haven't posted times but that's all we know...
Old 11-12-2005, 06:21 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
10.6@135mph in the 1/4 which to date is the quickest in the US that we know of.. I'm sure there are quicker 996TT's that haven't posted times but that's all we know...

Here you go sharky, here is one which may give you a run. This is the car which set the Nurburging "production" car record.
It has RS Tuning engine and puts out Flywheel engine dyno measured RS Tuning HP 612PS @ 6790 and 580lb/ft @4300
Its obviously not a drag car but measured at:
0-62mph 3.5s
0-124mph 9.5s
0-186mph 22.5s
Don't know the weight ?

Last edited by TB993tt; 11-12-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Woodster
Drifting

TB,
did they happen to run a quarter mile?
Nice power to the ground!
MK
Old 11-14-2005, 12:27 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Here you go sharky, here is one which may give you a run. This is the car which set the Nurburging "production" car record.
It has RS Tuning engine and puts out Flywheel engine dyno measured RS Tuning HP 612PS @ 6790 and 580lb/ft @4300
Its obviously not a drag car but measured at:
0-62mph 3.5s
0-124mph 9.5s
0-186mph 22.5s
Don't know the weight ?

If he's making 900hp, and this car is making 612, I doubt it would be much of a run! Am I missing something?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:13 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigCarrot
If he's making 900hp, and this car is making 612, I doubt it would be much of a run! Am I missing something?
Not to the wheels it isn't! Then again, mins is back to being close to full weight and that one looks to be lightened I'm hoping my trap speeds will come close to 140mph so we'll see...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:49 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Yeah, but I figure you're making a lot more than 612!

Quick Reply: Price for K16 Modified Turbos?