1)K16-24
2)K26
3)K27
Old 11-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Signal-9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, lets try this again then...

C) is the K16/ K24 , im trying to base that off the turbine fin structure and spacing, and to me looks like the smallest turbine of the bunch..and most resembles the X50/GT2

that will then make

A) the K26

and

B) the K27 which to me like the largest outputter of the bunch
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Noted.. Next.. Come on guys..
Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Red9
Racer

I will have another go at the obvious.Still do not no why it is not so.
A is K27 B is K 16/24 C is K 26 . D is K24 GT2 !
Old 11-09-2005, 02:20 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Red9, what is your reasoning, any one else..
Old 11-09-2005, 03:06 AM
Red9
Racer

Kevin,
I am looking at the relative size.Is that what you wanted me to say as I dissappear in the quicksand of ignorance?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I already went to Engineering school once......I know a sucker pin placement when I see it
Old 11-09-2005, 01:25 PM
DT04R
Intermediate

Hmmm...Newbie here (though not new to Turbo cars)

C looks like the fin arrangement on a K26 to me, A with the physically larger wheel is the K27 and the K16k/24 hybrid is B.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:10 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Why not look at all available compressor wheels. Mitsubshi, Garrett, KKK Etc.

Appearances can be deceving. You must go by the flow maps. That is the ONLY way to select the proper compressor. You must then decied which frame you want to use. The ones that are "bolt" on are the K16's and K24's. The same compressor wheel will behave the same way in each housing. The main difference will be the "boost threshold" and top end power differences due to the frame used. Read my above thread.

The term "lag" is not really correct for the onset of boost under WOT. They are two seperate things. I suggest that those that really want to learn about this stuff read the many different books available. If you make well informed choices you will never be disapointed with the results. Also consider the source of the information and how it affects them. Remember people I don't sell anything. I just try to pass on facts and knowledge to help you guys make the proper choices.

Tom
Old 11-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Maps aren't everything, they are a guide, they will point you in the right direction. However, many turbochargers have been built with good engineering, but have failed when ran on an engine. Each engine is different, the 930 CIS engine behaves differently than the 4 valve 996TT engine. In the end the tuner must make the selection and build the turbocharger and install it.. Many times one has to go back to the drawing board.

Red9 is correct with the compressor wheel selection.

A is a K27 the smallest inducer in the group.

B is the K16-24 and sports the largest inducer, it also has a peak 80.5% efficiency

C is the K26, is a tad larger than the K27 but it also has the lowest efficiency of the bunch.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Tom,

It is not my party here, but if it helps, I have owned, seen and driven a full fledge 540 hp FVD (your reference) engine, and I can tell you that it has substantially more lag than the stage 2 ZC that I have also driven. If you are saying that the K16 hybrids don't have less lag than the K24s, you are wrong (not "IMO" ), have you driven any properly tuned K16 ZC hybrid car?
Originally Posted by K24madness
Also consider the source of the information and how it affects them. Remember people I don't sell anything. I just try to pass on facts and knowledge to help you guys make the proper choices.
Tom
You cannot possibly pretend that you know more about turbochargers than Kevin?

This comment can be perceived as critical of Kevin's information provided or his products. If I recall correctly, you badly wanted Kevin to build a set of K24 hybrids for you and he declined, why would you now imply that he is not objective in the information he provides? ?

I owe Kevin nothing, and he owes me nothing, I don't care whether his turbos are better than others as I do not even have them, but if there is one sponsor on this board that has been under relentless scrutiny, then that must be him, and he has always been open to have his products tested and results shared in private with the people he likes, or he does not dislike rather.

We are on the same side here Tom, we only want to talk turbos, while keeping information accurate and giving credit where we should.
Cheers
Old 11-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Jean, Kevin's products are first rate (and also not totally infallible either).
Kevin is an absolute expert, no doubt about that.
Tom is very, very knowledgable guy (self taught) and UNBIASED (does not sell anything to
anybody relating to Porsches)! It is very easy for Kevin (who's knowledge I respect) to talk
circles around 99% of us. However, he will not "spin" anything over and around Tom. I agree with Oak,
and Tom on " Lag" as pertaining to 996Turbos and K-24's is almost nonexistent and irrelevent to
me because the motor is so "torquey" anyway with its variocam, etc. It is some much less lag as compared to my 930, my 91 C2 turbo, and my 993Twin
Turbo with Kevin's stage 2 ZC, ect. turbos on it!. It is like saying the new Viper just does not
put down the power like the new Corvette (11.8 vs 12.1 quarter mile)...
All of this discussion benefits all of us, and I always enjoy and do not necessarily agree with the board sponsors and also, like you am willing to
say something about it. Tom has a low cost, high performance solution for those who want to call him, he makes nothing from it.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodster
" Lag" as pertaining to 996Turbos and K-24's is almost nonexistent .
Marty,
I can tell you from my Corvette ownership that the stock 996TT DOES have significant lag, from a standing start, and other times as well. Its a PITA at times.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark
Marty,
I can tell you from my Corvette ownership that the stock 996TT DOES have significant lag, from a standing start, and other times as well. Its a PITA at times.
I agree.

Although I like my Turbo *far* better than the Vette and the FI Mustangs, those cars will jump *right now* on throttle application - something a Turbo in stock form will not do because of it's turbo lag.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:58 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

I definitely agree! I raced a new Z06 last week, and one of the reasons he beat me is that he hit the gas and went while my turbos spooled. I hate turbo lag!

Quick Reply: Price for K16 Modified Turbos?