Sponsored by:

INSTALLED PSI 480 ECU !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

I wouldn't expect much difference in performance but it will be interesting to hear your impressions on the different setups. A couple of safe rolling starts should give an idea I guess.
Speedaddy, are you a tuner? You sound like you are talking from experience.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

I'd suggest doing at least one rolling start from low rpm (2000-2500 maximum) in either 2nd or 3rd gear.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:26 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish there was someone with an Upsolute chip nearby! I'd love to see how it stacks up!
Old 10-22-2005, 07:55 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill in Atlanta
Dock,

Sent you a PM regarding a quick drive tomorrow a. "RxDoc" and I are meeting at 8am on Sunday to compare our cars. Join us if you can.

anyone else in Atlanta, PM me for details.

Bill

Hey Bill:
See you tomorrow at 8. Starbucks at Johns' Creek next to the gym. I will be wearing the Black TT.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Bill in Atlanta
Advanced

Thumbs up The Result

I want to thank RXDOC for meeting today to drive and compare cars. As a background, both cars began life as standard (K-16, 415 hp) 2002 Turbo's. The cars are equipped the same (sunroof, sport seats,etc.) and are in stock condition (seats, spare tire, tool kit...no efforts to lighten the cars).Both cars have upgraded suspension (RXDOC=PSS9, mine with H&R) and both have SSK (RXDOC with Techart undercar,mine with B&M in-tunnel).

RXDOC's car is equipped with Techart kit (ECU, intake, exhaust)..my car has the PSI k480 upgrade (ECU+BMC filter, stock intake and exhaust). Both cars had similar amount of fuel.

We conducted 5 runs in a safe, private location, 3 runs from +/- 40mph in 2nd, thru redline in 2nd,3rd and 4th, and 2 runs from 3rd-5th gear.

The result: A tie. Whoever got the jump (usually 1.5 car lenghts) held that amount until the end.

The interesting part: we drove each others' car, and the 2 kits have a different approach to the same end...the Techart car built boost slower, and had a big "push" at the top end, hitting 1.2 bar. The PSI car built boost quickly to 0.9, and held there with an occasional surge to 1.0 bar. Fortunately, we have the best application for each of us; top end for RXDOC's use at the track, nice, quick boost build for my street driven car. Needless to say, I am happy with my PSI kit.

RXDOC is a true enthusiast (between us we have 43 years of Porsche ownership) and I appreciate him taking the time for our "meet and greet". See you at Road Atlanta next weekend.

Bill

Last edited by Bill in Atlanta; 10-23-2005 at 09:03 PM. Reason: corrected year model of car
Old 10-23-2005, 10:46 PM
msb2tg
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to thank RXDOC for meeting today to drive and compare cars. As a background, both cars began life as standard (K-16, 415 hp) 2002 Turbo's. The cars are equipped the same (sunroof, sport seats,etc.) and are in stock condition (seats, spare tire, tool kit...no efforts to lighten the cars).Both cars have upgraded suspension (RXDOC=PSS9, mine with H&R) and both have SSK (RXDOC with Techart undercar,mine with B&M in-tunnel).

RXDOC's car is equipped with Techart kit (ECU, intake, exhaust)..my car has the PSI k480 upgrade (ECU+BMC filter, stock intake and exhaust). Both cars had similar amount of fuel.

We conducted 5 runs in a safe, private location, 3 runs from +/- 40mph in 2nd, thru redline in 2nd,3rd and 4th, and 2 runs from 3rd-5th gear.

The result: A tie. Whoever got the jump (usually 1.5 car lenghts) held that amount until the end.

The interesting part: we drove each others' car, and the 2 kits have a different approach to the same end...the Techart car built boost slower, and had a big "push" at the top end, hitting 1.2 bar. The PSI car built boost quickly to 0.9, and held there with an occasional surge to 1.0 bar. Fortunately, we have the best application for each of us; top end for RXDOC's use at the track, nice, quick boost build for my street driven car. Needless to say, I am happy with my PSI kit.

RXDOC is a true enthusiast (between us we have 43 years of Porsche ownership) and I appreciate him taking the time for our "meet and greet". See you at Road Atlanta next weekend.

Bill
great run!! who does techart use for their programming and their intakes?
his car was at 550 and yours at 480, i am impressed, i have not done any runs on my car with anyone but if anyone close by has a good similar set up to mine let's go for a run, i'd like to see where my car stands as well.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

...the Techart car built boost slower, and had a big "push" at the top end, hitting 1.2 bar. The PSI car built boost quickly to 0.9, and held there with an occasional surge to 1.0 bar.
A couple of questions...what was the lowest rpm used to start a run, and at what rpm did the TechArt hit 1.2 bar?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:14 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jean
RXDOC....Techart have very very good products, I am only a bit sceptic about that hp figure with stock turbos
It does not happen often that I quote myself Stock K16s will keep you below the 500ish hp figure, they can raise the boost to 1.2Bar, it will still not translate into torque, merely hot air.

RXDOC I am not saying this to criticize, but they are wrong, I would point them to this thread and ask for explanations if you paid the price of a 550 kit. I know people in their German HQ, let me know if you need me to put you in contact.

The PSI car seems to be running well where it should.

Thanks for sharing the drive. I thought there was a GIAC car as well?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:07 AM
Bill in Atlanta
Advanced

Dock,
You must show up before you can ask more questions..
Old 10-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Bill in Atlanta
Advanced

Jean,
I think both cars are close to the same power...RXDOC can confirm what was done, but I believe it is a "Stage 1" ECU in his car, the only real difference is the TA exhaust, which sounds terrific (best part of the run : when he got the jump and I got to listen to that exhaust at WOT

Bill
Old 10-24-2005, 10:34 AM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
It does not happen often that I quote myself Stock K16s will keep you below the 500ish hp figure, they can raise the boost to 1.2Bar, it will still not translate into torque, merely hot air.

RXDOC I am not saying this to criticize, but they are wrong, I would point them to this thread and ask for explanations if you paid the price of a 550 kit. I know people in their German HQ, let me know if you need me to put you in contact.

The PSI car seems to be running well where it should.

Thanks for sharing the drive. I thought there was a GIAC car as well?
Bill, thanks for showing up Sunday morning. I had a great time!

Jean, no offense! I am VERY happy with ONLY 500(+ or -) HP! I was just going with TechArt "claims". The previous owner paid ($8600++) for the upgrades (thank you, PO).

The cars were pretty even on every run it was whoever got the jump, maybe it was my inexperience! This was my very first time doing this type of runs! Ever! The cars probably put out similar HP. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't be doing it too often!

I am off work today, Monday, as I am spending the whole day getting the car ready for two track day this weekend (brakes, brake fluid, harness, etc). Now if get passed often (or ever) at the track, I will be greatly offended.

I think Bill is correct about where the power increase shows up with these two cars. PSI has the power down low for some "stop-light" action. I think my car has the "longer legs" with accelaration improving north of 100MPH. Something we couldn't (shouldn't) be exploring on public roads. This the feature I really enjoy on the track, as you have this incredible acceleration above 100MPH. Makes other cars seemlike they are standing still!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Bill in Atlanta
Advanced

One thing I wished we had done was to run the cars down to low rpm ( ie, 2k) in 4th and then WOT thru redline in 5th.

Would also be great to see how a "stage 1" car runs against an X50; X50 vs. GT2; 997S vs. GT3........

Bill
Old 10-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RXDOC
I think my car has the "longer legs" with accelaration improving north of 100MPH.
Since both cars have the same gearing, why would speed make a difference if you were both in the same gear?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:43 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Since both cars have the same gearing, why would speed make a difference if you were both in the same gear?

What does same gearing have to do with the rate of acceleration from, say, 100-150? So all cars "geared" the same should post the exact same times running 100-150?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I am VERY happy with ONLY 500(+ or -) HP! I was just going with TechArt "claims". The previous owner paid ($8600++) for the upgrades (thank you, PO).
OK, since you got me wondering everytime I read this thread, I decided to check it out and either shut up for ever (some of you might wish so ) or understand where things are not making sense...and I found it.

Techart does NOT offer a 550hp kit for the 996TT with stock turbos period.
The kit that you have Dock is the 470 ps Kit, consisting of the typical air filter and its CF housing with a Motronic upgrade...Cost is 6800 Euros, close to what the PO paid at the time. The next stage has modified K16 turbos and pushes to 530PS. One more, the stock K24 turbos that come on the X50 will give you max. 510 HP with the Motronic upgrade.
... The cars probably put out similar HP.
They do! A 470PS kit of Techart is very similar to the 480PS kit of PSI.
I think Bill is correct about where the power increase shows up with these two cars. PSI has the power down low for some "stop-light" action. I think my car has the "longer legs" with accelaration improving north of 100MPH.
I think it is more butt dyno than a scientific test ..In fact, looking at the dyno charts, I guess it is the opposite, the PSI car should be somewhat slower at the low end, not that it matters, both cars run the same. Both cars are using the K16 turbos, and both cars have very similar torque configurations..After 3000RPMs is where they start picking up vs. stock turbos.

I hope the above clarifies the results. We have to see a GIAC car run against these 2 now. Cost effectiveness, bang for the buck, etc..
Jean

Quick Reply: INSTALLED PSI 480 ECU !!