Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marketing 101:
Do I drive 1000 miles roundtrip to have my ECU flashloaded at I/A or send my
ECU via UPS to PSI for Programming?? I know what is cheaper and that is if my
time is worth nothing (which it isnt). PSI has a limited # of specific programs that are designed
for certain applications. They are not trying to be all things to all people and do not have ANY claims that are not backed up by runs on a MAHA DYNO. PSI also has the lowest claims. The one I have works very well. Nothing gets soldered with PSI, although I know of horror stories of the wonderful soldering and wiring system hack jobs with upsolute. (maybe they flashload now?). Extra $900?, is a fair question, you (we) need to drive both and see. We also need to have a "Rennlist Shootout" with everyone invited and do some legal runs, dyno runs, etc. Side by side all under the same conditions.
MK
Old 10-19-2005, 01:13 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Marty,
All GIAC flash dealers do mail order and bench flashing. 90% of the ECUs we do come in UPS. It was an expense that was huge to buy a TT harness to flash them, but has proven to be well worth it. I also have bench harnesses for all the Audis, VeeDubs and all Porsches including the early 996 and Boxster. I hope I didn't give you the idea we don't do flashing on the bench.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:29 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnyg
Dock,
Why don,t you hook up with RX doc and Bill for some coffee. No ones manhood is being challanged only out to see how cars compare. I encourage each of you to drive each others cars also. No clutch ruining mind you just actual drivers input. I have driven RXdoc's car once at Road Atlanta but really did not get to get on it too hard. We were not on the track but on the road out in front of Road Atlanta. It is quick. I don't know about you guys but I run with whatever wants to. Win or lose you get to "see". I don't adovcate unsafe traffic playing mind you but it is not like it takes these cars long to go from 50-130. Let us know what happens. I am in Augusta GA and if any one wants to beat up on a ghey PSI 480 tip call me and lets "see". I know there are tons of cars that will smoke mine but I'd be curios to run stage 1 or 2 to compare. Good news is that any of us that have a tt much less a chipped one is already enjoying a damn fast car. Be careful and be honest.

John:
All I wanted to do was put in a good word for Neil and PSI.
The thread has turned into one of those "Bench Racing" threads on 6Speedonline!
Your idea is good, but unless you drive down to ATL and run with me, I don't think it's going to happen. I have been a Porsche owner (7 different Porsches) in Atlanta for 18 years, a TT owner for 2 years. Not too many TT's ever come out to play.
So when can I expect you?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:36 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woodster
Marketing 101:
Do I drive 1000 miles roundtrip to have my ECU flashloaded at I/A or send my
ECU via UPS to PSI for Programming?? I know what is cheaper and that is if my
time is worth nothing (which it isnt). PSI has a limited # of specific programs that are designed
for certain applications. They are not trying to be all things to all people and do not have ANY claims that are not backed up by runs on a MAHA DYNO. PSI also has the lowest claims. The one I have works very well. Nothing gets soldered with PSI, although I know of horror stories of the wonderful soldering and wiring system hack jobs with upsolute. (maybe they flashload now?). Extra $900?, is a fair question, you (we) need to drive both and see. We also need to have a "Rennlist Shootout" with everyone invited and do some legal runs, dyno runs, etc. Side by side all under the same conditions.
MK

I like your idea! I will leave now heading for MPLS. Just give me some directions!
BTW, I live about 6-7miles from PSI. I have known Neil for many years, from back when he was with Roock, I have been up to PSI and highly recommend him.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:53 PM
johnyg
Instructor

RXDOC,
I know what you mean. I let my buddy Rolo drive my car for 10 minutes and he has people wanting to race. I drive it 3 times a week to work with little action. I will call you when my car is going to Jim Ellis for service and we can get together. Either this or we will see each other at a DE next year at Road Atlanta. I can't make the one in Oct. because I am doing the Disney thing with the family that whole week. Rolo said the best time he had at Road Atlanta was running with you. I guess your wife has not swayed your decsion to keep the car. It is a nice car with lots of extras. If you are ever down here for seminar, masters or whatever give me a shout.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:23 PM
RobynC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, Dock, my car is not stock anymore. It is now a PSI 480 car.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Speedaddy
Track Day

Not a fair comparison between the different software. PSI is whole different ball game. Not just a matter of replacing a few files in the factory program. Perhaps the additional cost is due to the time and effort put in to write a complete ECU without faults? How about full factory warranty intact with zero issues?--only way to check for software is to drive the car. Common sense will tell you that producing great power with low boost translates to reliability, etc. Is it worth the extra money for that piece of mind to not have to worry about replacing mass air flow sensors and dealing with frequent check engine lights? The list goes on, but talk is cheap...the proof is in the pudding. Drive different cars or go head to head, whatever, drive some cars on the road not with a calculator.
The old saying definitely applies--You get what you pay for.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedaddy
Not just a matter of replacing a few files in the factory program.
Are you saying GAIC just replaced a few files in the factory program?

Common sense will tell you that producing great power with low boost translates to reliability...
What exactly are the max boost differences between the PSI and GIAC programs. And from what I've read, it seems PSI jumps the boost up very early in the rpm range...is this not true?

Is it worth the extra money for that piece of mind to not have to worry about replacing mass air flow sensors and dealing with frequent check engine lights?
What software vendor and what specific stage is producing the requirement to replace the MAF, and generating the CEL's? Has the program actually damaged the MAF, or does it really just need cleaning?

Just wondering...
Old 10-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not a fair comparison between the different software. PSI is whole different ball game. Not just a matter of replacing a few files in the factory program. Perhaps the additional cost is due to the time and effort put in to write a complete ECU without faults? ....
Care to explain yourself Speed Diddy? Please, don't be shy to get very technical. What is the magic to spinning the wheels in the tires in 3rd!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:47 AM
johnyg
Instructor

Talking

PSI chip only boost most to .9 and holds it. It does boost quickly though. Some with exhaust will see 1.0 or 1.1 peak then setlle back to .9. Neil tell me that the boost guages in some cars are not very accurate. The ecu controls boost not this guage. I was also told that the entire program is rewritten. I have had no issues or cel and car pulls great on 93 pump gas. I think all chipped cars do make noticable hp improvement but some do do it by boosting higher while others do it more in the timing and fuel curves. I am no expert but this is what I have heard. Doubt you can go wrong with any of these chips put all I know is what I have I like very much. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Not to beat a dead horse, but I concur with Johnny,
With exhuast mine peaks at 1.1 bar and holds 1.0 bar and like
so many others have said, any of these "chips" will make a noticable
improvement, but like RUF (and I believe PSI) has shown, it is all about
THE AREA UNDER THE CURVE, BABY!
MK
Old 10-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Speedaddy
Track Day

"What is the magic to spinning the wheels in the tires in 3rd"
LOL
Many are surprised by the difference the program makes. Glad to see excitement in these posts.

The best advice I can give is if you get a chance to drive different cars around, please do and come to your own conclusions.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by johnyg
... some do do it by boosting higher while others do it more in the timing and fuel curves.
It seems to me that PSI and GIAC Stage 1 programs both sustain 0.9 bar - so no difference there. I'd like to know what the timing differences are between the two programs, but that will be hard to nail down.

BTW, I don't think the only thing GIAC did was turn up the boost...
Old 10-20-2005, 06:56 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
It seems to me that PSI and GIAC Stage 1 programs both sustain 0.9 bar - so no difference there. I'd like to know what the timing differences are between the two programs, but that will be hard to nail down.

BTW, I don't think the only thing GIAC did was turn up the boost...
Exactly.. they did whole lot more than just up the boost A whooooole lot...
Old 10-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Bill in Atlanta
Advanced

Default Atlanta Turbo Meet

Dock,

Sent you a PM regarding a quick drive tomorrow a. "RxDoc" and I are meeting at 8am on Sunday to compare our cars. Join us if you can.

anyone else in Atlanta, PM me for details.

Bill

Quick Reply: INSTALLED PSI 480 ECU !!