Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What other toys do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 07:53 PM
epocsirhc
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Moburki, are you still involved with SUMO racing? It is amazing to see how popular it has become in the Northeast. At local trackdays its amazing to see just how many(myself included) are running amongst the liter bikes.

Last edited by epocsirhc; 12-03-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:42 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,917 Likes on 2,977 Posts

Originally Posted by moburki
Switched to sumo after years of roadracing. My childhood passion was all things motorsport, but two wheeled roadracing was my dream. I made it come true somehow in my later 20's. Sumo was a great transition when I realized I just couldn't fund a real campaign roadracing. Sumo was a blast, new techniques, and much, much cheaper to enjoy. I was able get my glory (lol) in 2007. This shot is before in the early 2000s. Good times riding dirt on slicks, backing it in, and sending it through the air!
I suspect your right leg is in the forward position like that due to the seating position on the bike, perhaps even the bikes geometry - seems so very un-natural to me to ride foot forward, for if anything were to go sideways, could be rather painful...
Old 12-04-2020, 12:28 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by epocsirhc
Moburki, are you still involved with SUMO racing? It is amazing to see how popular it has become in the Northeast. At local trackdays its amazing to see just how many(myself included) are running amongst the liter bikes.
No, I stopped in 2009. I got into to it just as it emerged in the very early 2000s. Dedicated a lot to it. Was directer of tech for many years here at UMC sumo course. I ended up doing some shoulder damage in a low speed wreck. After that life just kinda moved on. Spent 10 years living my childhood dream. Got rewarded in 2007 with a couple Am championships. Still consider my privateer racing to be one of my greatest accomplishments. I just get lost in the desert for days now. And cruise the big bikes for fun .

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I suspect your right leg is in the forward position like that due to the seating position on the bike, perhaps even the bikes geometry - seems so very un-natural to me to ride foot forward, for if anything were to go sideways, could be rather painful...
I started sumo racing in the knee down position, roadrace style. That was what I knew. It worked pretty well. Eventually, the faster guys were leg out. I had to learn to do it to keep up. Turns out, the leg does act as a counterweight, and allows you to "push" the bike down to extreme lean angles. There is no room for your leg to be tucked anyway. I went through pegs like crazy, even with peg sliders. Remember, we were hitting motocross sections on the dirt too. So, leg out for sure out there. Just adapted for the tarmac. Like you say, geometry of the bike allows it to work. Similar dynamics either way.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:32 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by epocsirhc
No, I stopped in 2009. I got into to it just as it emerged in the very early 2000s. Dedicated a lot to it. Was directer of tech for many years here at UMC sumo course. I ended up doing some shoulder damage in a low speed wreck. After that life just kinda moved on. Spent 10 years living my childhood dream. Got rewarded in 2007 with a couple Am championships. Still consider my privateer racing to be one of my greatest accomplishments. I just get lost in the desert for days now. And cruise the big bikes for fun .

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I started sumo racing in the knee down position, roadrace style. That was what I knew. It worked pretty well. Eventually, the faster guys were leg out. I had to learn to do it to keep up. Turns out, the leg does act as a counterweight, and allows you to "push" the bike down to extreme lean angles. There is no room for your leg to be tucked anyway. I went through pegs like crazy, even with peg sliders. Remember, we were hitting motocross sections on the dirt too. So, leg out for sure out there. Just adapted for the tarmac. Like you say, geometry of the bike allows it to work. Similar dynamics either way.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:33 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It does look pretty fun, leg position and all - is this a national sport now, or still grassroots?
Old 12-04-2020, 12:55 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

It started to gain a lot of traction in the later 2000s. AMA pro class, and a real tour, and with real sponsorship. Then the crash in 2008 all but killed the sport at the pro level. It never really died, but it went back to grassroots. I think it started to make a come back in the last decade. It's a real cool sport, great spectator sport too.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:02 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2008 killed a lot of things...

Makes me want to revisit the GROM... it looks very entertaining, and with small displacement, lowered geared bikes, competition should be pretty good. I would think the skill set would be a little easier than trying to pilot a liter class GP bike...
Old 12-04-2020, 02:22 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So in order to do this correctly, after I brought the truck back from Alberta, I had it polished in order to remove bugs and have a good seat for the ceramic to bond to, then spent 9 days adding 5 coats of ceramic to windows, body and wheels. The curing process is now completed, and I am thinking it looks pretty friggin' awesome, and should be way easier to maintain now this is on it. Love how it looks wet.

I used Avalon products, pretty happy with them.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
moburki (12-07-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 02:34 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 792 Posts

I'm glad you opted for those understated Enkei wheels instead of the typical brodozer wheels you are usually forced to choose from for trucks.
sdematt (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 02:37 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

Jesus, the car looks amazing.

I may try the Avalon - we'll chat offline about it.

-Matt
Old 12-04-2020, 02:41 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
I'm glad you opted for those understated Enkei wheels instead of the typical brodozer wheels you are usually forced to choose from for trucks.
I like the BroDozer, though...

Thank you, I am somewhat of a wheel maniac so wheel choice, is wheely important to me...
Old 12-04-2020, 02:43 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdematt
Jesus, the car looks amazing.

I may try the Avalon - we'll chat offline about it.

-Matt
Jesus had little to do with it ... I have a solid 40+ hours into this, plus buddy who polished it. I am, suffice to say, very happy with this Avalon product, so we will see how it lasts over the next year.

PS - it's on sale at the moment...

Last edited by 2fcknfst; 12-04-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:05 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Got this in today.... All aluminum, built in 10kw generator, pure awesomeness.

kamlung (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 12:59 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

Show us the inside!
Old 12-15-2020, 01:07 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdematt
Show us the inside!

Quick Reply: What other toys do you have?