Widowmaker Project - Building a GT2 Clone - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Widowmaker Project - Building a GT2 Clone

Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 PM
TheDeckMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyBird View Post
Awesome build. I haven't driven my car in about a week and now I'm deing to go for a drive after reading this.
Thanks for the complements! Glad to inspire you to get out and enjoy a fun drive!

Where do the weekends go? Projects always seem to take at least two to three times longer when people stop by the garage to chat or needing some quick advice. This weekend was more about wrapping up a lot of little things to get some major things done before the snow flies. The big plans were to move some things around the garage to better utilize the space, the main focus would be on the area between the lift and the stairs into the attic which still was being under utilized.

This area bugged the hell out of me as it was not large enough to either put a lift or even just a car due to how it ended up being laid out. The front part of the garage I had originally placed the Bridgeport and Lathe as it was close to the main breakers. However this is the higher traffic area when moving cars in and out, it offered a much more usable space to say park projects that are not being worked on or the cars that are regularly being driven.

First thing was to move all the little things that had gravitated this area and since neither the mill or lathe were being used yet, they had become a bit of a flat-ish surface to store things. Once things were cleared out, the bridgeport moved out of the way first.

The next step I laid out where the lathe was going to sit and marked with painters tape.

Then the easy part of lifting up the lathe and putting it into position.....now if I could only find those 4x4's that I used as dunnage. The moral of this story is not to use all your for summer evening camp fires Lucky for me I found 3ft left over behind a lot of other stored building materials. Of course the saw was up in the attic from that entire project so this was like continual challenges of a poorly organized plan.

Once I cut up a couple 10" sections to go under the casting to prevent the forks damaging the sheet metal I was able to get the lathe up in the air.

Next was to move the bridgeport into position, which lucky for me resulted in not much clearance to sneak the fork truck back out Good thing I had not started with the baseplate extensions for the lift otherwise it would not have fit. But more on that later.

Then a local 928 owner stopped by needing some insight on how to wire up some 996 seats into his 928. He made the brackets and got the passenger seat installed without issue.

However the driver seat on a 996 with power and memory is a bit harder to do. So we pulled the computer box off and then compared to the 996 wiring in the Turbo to figure out how to fool the key signal. About an hour later he was back on the road and I was able to turn my attention to the wiring of the machines.

My old man stopped by to lend a hand, in another life he spent it doing lots of machine wiring controls, we were able to get the lathe and mill up and running. Now time to chase down some other tooling for work holding. Ordered up some new R8 collets and a power draw bar setup for the bridgeport.

https://imgur.com/SfLcRHX https://imgur.com/hDNbdEV Next battle was a free broken spring compressor that had been left outside for several months until offered to me. So of course it was rusted solid, mind you I have been spraying it with some Kroil every week for several months, so with a little more Kroil and some heat it freed up. Note fork trucks work great as a work surface as they do not move around when you need to put some good old fashion brute force to something.

https://imgur.com/kjdRZeL Being that the mill and lathe were stored for several years, there is some surface rust that will have to be dealt with, no big deal with some soft 3m pads and WD40.

Up next for these is to drain the oil out of the lathe gear boxes and replace with fresh oil, make sure the DRO's are calibrated and should be good to cut some chips!

Look at all that space!

The base plate lifts have always bugged me from not having a cross support overhead to prevent the lifts from pulling in. As an additional safety increase, I picked up some extensions to bolt to the base plates that increase the amount of lag bolts you can put in. While my intention is to get to making my own cross brace at some point in the near future, it could be several months until that happens so might as well just install these.

Of course my hammer drill had been borrowed by my old man doing his house project, so another hour and a half trip to go get that to wrap it up late Sunday night.

Moral of the story, even with setbacks you can still manage to make good progress in two days. While more things crossed off the "pre-winter to-do list" would have been nice, some small victories are good enough to warrant a glass or two of whiskey at the end of the day.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
2011 Rennlist F1 Champion
Rennlist Member

Sweet.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:03 PM
Medevack1
User

nice!!!!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:55 PM
ms4cd
User

Great thread, thank you for sharing.
Where did you source aluminum carrier? Have a part number you can share?
Old 10-17-2018, 04:51 PM
TheDeckMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera View Post
Sweet.
Originally Posted by Medevack1 View Post
nice!!!!
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by ms4cd View Post
Great thread, thank you for sharing.
Where did you source aluminum carrier? Have a part number you can share?
Per powdrhound's thread https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ight-loss.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: