Widowmaker Project - Building a GT2 Clone - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Widowmaker Project - Building a GT2 Clone

Old 10-03-2018, 06:10 PM
TheDeckMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Widowmaker Project - Building a GT2 Clone

It all started many years ago that I fell in love with 996 GT2's when they came out. Knowing myself that I cannot leave anything alone I set about searching for a good base for my build which I figured would take several years to get the car to my personal build of a 996. In 2014 I set out looking for a lower mileage 996 Turbo with no stories, some of the musts were that it had to have a black interior without any carbon/wood.

I eventually found this one with 50k miles on it that just had a new GT2 clutch kit and a pair of new K16's installed and was within driving distance.

After picking her up first thing was to put some H&R RSS coil overs in, do plugs and updated coil packs, port the headers and install the 3" X-Pipe. So I headed down to my buddies garage to use his lift.

Post coil-over and exhaust install.

2016 Brought on suspension, brakes and some body modifications.

Next up was to install some GT2RS IC's, machine up some rear toe links and solid LCA bushings.

Made up a tool for pulling the LCA bushings out

Test fitting bushings on a spare arm

RSS Roll bar and GT2 seats

Some 350mm front brakes

How she rolled around in 2016/17 and not much was done in 2017 as I moved my business and bought a house which was a lot to get done in a year.

This spring was the big changes to dropping the front diff, installing some stub axles and installing the GT2 decklid. In the new garage I was able to finally install a two post lift which was such a nice break from working in a double deep single row garage on a scissor lift.

As you can see, now have plenty of room for projects!

Dropped the steel carrier for the aluminum one

RWD

Dropped the GT2 decklid and front bumper off for paint

Got the GT2 Decklid on

Next up was to pull the front apart and replace the front radiator and items with the GT2 stuff

As it turns out I forgot to order two hoses which resulted in me having to make up some spacer tubes to extend the coolant pipes. Got notice that they would be 4 weeks out and that was not going to work as I was headed to a yearly gathering with all my Corrado friends at the end of September and with a week to go it was rush time. The good news is that by the time I am ready to do the motor drop this winter to weld the coolant fittings and install the LSD they will be here.

The US Mill Works Plate bracket is a work of art!

With the cool brisk air and leaves changing up here in the north, it was time to make the yearly pilgrimage to Ocean City, MD to catch up with all of the Corrado/OG VW folks. Even with the show officially being moved to Atlantic City, we have always kept renewing our rentals just after New Years so it is set in stone for another year. The other half is new to the car community so this would be her first year so we set to leave mid Thursday afternoon.

With the shake down complete and weather looking fairly good, the 996 would be what we would be taking.

Of course there were some requests for some New England Beers so the frunk was filled to the brim. Alas there was one casualty as loading some Building 8 cans, one got punctured by the amp bracket resulting in a face full of beer That 4 pack became a holiday 3 pack.

This being the 996's fourth trip to Ocean City and my 11th year the trip is normally the same stops along the way. Having done this trip many times, normally I plan out my coffee and fuel stops accordingly to break up the trip. In past years the 996 averaged about 18-20mpgs, at the first stop where I normally fill it only took 6 gallons of fuel resulting in a fuel economy of 25.4mpgs with the right foot out of it. This is not a bad bump for ditching the front diff/axles when converting to rear wheel drive.

Some of the weekends pictures

Oh look a Corrado, a running driving G60 that drove from Massachusetts is not something you see every day!

Friday night we had some fun with getting a food truck to feed our party

Saturday we checked out the MK2 and MK1 Meets

Roses

Catching up with Jeremy and his clean Cayman

MK1 Meet at Pickles

Beer and food time

Saturday night from 56th was fun hanging out and having some beers, catching up with friends was absolutely fantastic as usual.

993 RUF?!

Sunday we headed out at 7:45am to beat the traffic back with only needing two fuel stops.

Nothing like getting back to the hills of Western Massachusetts with the leaves changing colors

Home safe and sound, but needing a good cleaning! Now it is time to begin winter preparations around the house and garage. Then the fun can start on the next round changes to the Widowmaker Project.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:50 PM
32krazy!
Addict
Rennlist Member

did you install spacers behind the impact bumpers so you can use a tow hook if needed? theres also spacers thru the chimney stack to allow the ductwork to angle properly with the center radiator
Old 10-03-2018, 06:51 PM
Dock
Super User

Do you know how much total money you have invested in your 996 Turbo?
Old 10-03-2018, 07:06 PM
TheDeckMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock View Post
Do you know how much total money you have invested in your 996 Turbo?
Yes, not enough to buy a GT2. Plus I like doing this as building cars is therapeutic.

Originally Posted by 32krazy! View Post
did you install spacers behind the impact bumpers so you can use a tow hook if needed? theres also spacers thru the chimney stack to allow the ductwork to angle properly with the center radiator
Yes, I installed the spacers in the back of the impact bumpers which end up being 10mm to allow the rebar to fit in the right spot. Simply spin out the plate bracket and the tow hook goes right in.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Dock
Super User

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
...not enough to buy a GT2.
That's not why I was asking.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:29 PM
TheDeckMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock View Post
That's not why I was asking.
I have a folder/excel sheet with all the parts, install date where ordered from ect. Makes it easy if ever looking back to do another build at some point and know what it will run to do it again. General rule of thumb is to never add them up.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Dock
Super User

I have a folder/excel sheet with all the parts, install date where ordered from ect. Makes it easy if ever looking back to do another build at some point and know what it will run to do it again.
That's a great approach when doing a build.

General rule of thumb is to never add them up.
Oh, I agree. I thought that maybe you had by chance added it all up. That kind of data helps give people a general idea of what they'd be getting into with a project like this. If someone can do their own custom work (for example milling) it can save big money sometimes.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Rvca3112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ahhhh another guy who’s gone through the vag rankings. I love it. How was h20i? I always wanted to go but never liked ocean city other than seacrets. Plus all the car towing makes me a little apprehensive about going
Old 10-03-2018, 09:25 PM
2fcknfst
User

The first car I took apart and rebuilt was an 81 Sirocco - bravo to you for being able to find the time to do it right; coming up through VW myself, I do appreciate the 'therapy' of this kind of work.

I, too, love owning a lathe - does it make things easier!

Fantastic job, I cannot wait to see what you do next.

Cheers,
Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 PM
Carlo_Carrera
2011 Rennlist F1 Champion
Rennlist Member

Quite a build, nicely documented. thanks.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 PM
cy911tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great write up, photos, and really nice build! Congrats. I am in the process of doing my own 996tt to 996 GT2 tribute build with some of the same mods, some a little different. Very jealous of your machining abilities.

It is a very slippery slope and you could not be more correct, never add up the cost. However, it is highly therapeutic and is worth every penny invested.

Look forward to seeing more of your progress down the road, I need to get some pics of mine uploaded as well.

Cheers!
Old 10-04-2018, 01:56 AM
Nzo
User

Thanks for posting, car looks great. Must be very satisfying to be able to fab your own parts like that!
Old 10-04-2018, 03:18 AM
pfbz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great post! Thanks...
Old 10-04-2018, 09:59 AM
TheDeckMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rvca3112 View Post
Ahhhh another guy who’s gone through the vag rankings. I love it. How was h20i? I always wanted to go but never liked ocean city other than seacrets. Plus all the car towing makes me a little apprehensive about going
It was a blast as usual, granted if you do dumb things during the event it tends to land you with a ticket. Lots of the cars towed were the non-vag folks that show up with cars with stuff that would fail most if not all state inspections. As an old school VW guy, OEM+ was always where most of the builds have gone. Seems like there are quite a few of us that came up from the old MK2/Corrado/Ur days that are now into Turbos.

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst View Post
The first car I took apart and rebuilt was an 81 Sirocco - bravo to you for being able to find the time to do it right; coming up through VW myself, I do appreciate the 'therapy' of this kind of work.

I, too, love owning a lathe - does it make things easier!

Fantastic job, I cannot wait to see what you do next.

Cheers,

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera View Post
Quite a build, nicely documented. thanks.

Originally Posted by cy911tt View Post
Great write up, photos, and really nice build! Congrats. I am in the process of doing my own 996tt to 996 GT2 tribute build with some of the same mods, some a little different. Very jealous of your machining abilities.

It is a very slippery slope and you could not be more correct, never add up the cost. However, it is highly therapeutic and is worth every penny invested.

Look forward to seeing more of your progress down the road, I need to get some pics of mine uploaded as well.

Cheers!
Without a doubt it can be a slippery slope, having lots of fabrication and machining tools does take the sting out of it for sure.

Originally Posted by Nzo View Post
Thanks for posting, car looks great. Must be very satisfying to be able to fab your own parts like that!
Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
Great post! Thanks...

Old 10-04-2018, 12:53 PM
theprf
User

Seems like there are quite a few of us that came up from the old MK2/Corrado/Ur days that are now into Turbos.
Guilty as charged.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: