Flooded in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:34 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I would not repair but instead push to have the car declared a total loss and get the money and run away from the car.
+1
Old 08-29-2017, 01:26 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry for all the stress/problems, I would pray for the car to be totaled and would have no interest in buying back unless to track.

Last edited by rmc1148; 08-29-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:28 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a hard one to swallow but, it seems you're taking it in good faith that it's only a possession. Even though still hard to deal with. I wish you the best with this!

Macster,
Are you saying the brakes are bad bc of the ceramics being submerged? I would think the calipers would be fine. Also what about the transmission?

I'm curious what a buy back price would be from the insurance company.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:21 PM
chris9595
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry to see this - that photo is nauseating. Stay safe these next few days - we are out west hoping the reservoir overtopping doesn't add to the problems....
Old 08-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Raffey1
Instructor

So terribly saddened for your situation and for that of your friends and
neighbors. Was thinking of Porsche of West Houston, hoping their cars are not all flooded too. Stay safe.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the precise same car same color combination.

Very sorry for your loss Was that the highest the water was or did it get any higher It's amazing how just about 6 inches could make all the difference. 6 inches lower than that picture and you might've been ok.

Originally Posted by Jones R
The insurance rep immediately called the Range Rover a total loss and issued a check today. As for my turbo, the decision is still out for review. The reimbursement amount for the RR was right around the "Very Good" level condition indicated in by NADA.

If the turbo comes back with similar results (IF they even decide to total it), that will hurt pretty bad. I really liked this car and it would actually be difficult to find a replacement.

The city of Houston and other areas of Texas are having a rough time right now, and the real struggle hasn't even begun. It is very hot and humid here and the amount of mold and rot that will come from this event will be monumental. When the sun finally comes out the heat will make everything much worse.

Airports are closed for the week and transportation around or out of the city is difficult if not impossible for some.

Hopefully next update will be a little more positive. Wish me luck!

Thanks again
Jay

--here is a photo of my favorite car before the flood

Old 08-30-2017, 12:11 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

I've repaired a number of flood cars including 996; OP needs to determine if fresh vs salt water which is most important, then how 'dirty' the water is, is it acceptable to him/her or not...get the soft surfaces out ASAP and cleaned. While not ideal, electronics can sit in fresh water as long as not operated. O2's probably should be replaced.

It all depends how attached you are to the car and valuation...

Originally Posted by Macster
While I have never been in a flood I've been up close to flood waters. Several times over the years the flood water came right up to the front yard. (A front corner of the lot was in the "flood zone" in fact.)

Flood water, even just "rain" water, is nasty stuff. Full of dirt, sewage, all the nasty stuff that pets and livestock -- if one lives in an urban area -- leave laying around. Manure collection ponds can be flooded and the contents combined with the flood water.

There can be oil or fuel on top of the water from flooded vehicles, lawnmowers, farm equipment, underground storage tanks.

Cans and bottles and containers of whatever fluids home owners/businesses had laying around get washed out and spilled into the water. Paint, paint thinner, pesticides, other chemicals, and so on.

In some areas the water can be loaded with sand. (Years ago a bad flood hit a bit north of where my parents lived. Sometime later Dad wanted some sand for his garden and found an ad in the local paper for "free sand". Dad drove to the guy's location, a farm, which had suffered from flooding. The farmer had cleared one field of sand, scraped it into a pile. It was feet high piled in a mound and hundreds of feet long. Dad filled up a couple of garbage cans with some sand which didn't even put a dent in the sand.)

Like I said flood water is nasty stuff.

I would not repair but instead push to have the car declared a total loss and get the money and run away from the car.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:24 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

So sorry for all you Texans...
Going to be a bunch of bad cars coming up on the market this winter, buyer be ware!
Old 08-30-2017, 12:25 PM
hodie21
Instructor

Cars are replaceable. People aren't. Stay safe and I'm sure you'll find a replacement soon. Agreed upon value insurance is a must for the 996 TT. For some reason book values are way below what people actually buy and sell them for.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:55 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hodie21
Cars are replaceable. People aren't. Stay safe and I'm sure you'll find a replacement soon. Agreed upon value insurance is a must for the 996 TT. For some reason book values are way below what people actually buy and sell them for.
Some types of agreed value insurance, most probably the insurance that is most affordable, have various restrictions placed on the use of the car. My 996 TT for example has "Classic Car Insurance" on it from Safeco. Classic Car requires that the car be at least 10 years old, which would not be a problem for this vehicle. On the other hand, annual mileage is limited, there are limitations on how much the car can be modded, how and where and how much it is driven, how it is garaged, etc. I am not familiar with the other types of agreed value insurance, but I would guess that if they are less restrictive, the premiums are higher. It's important to know what you are buying into, because your usage pattern could in effect void the insurance if the insurance company becomes aware of it.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:55 PM
hodie21
Instructor

Originally Posted by champignon
Some types of agreed value insurance, most probably the insurance that is most affordable, have various restrictions placed on the use of the car. My 996 TT for example has "Classic Car Insurance" on it from Safeco. Classic Car requires that the car be at least 10 years old, which would not be a problem for this vehicle. On the other hand, annual mileage is limited, there are limitations on how much the car can be modded, how and where and how much it is driven, how it is garaged, etc. I am not familiar with the other types of agreed value insurance, but I would guess that if they are less restrictive, the premiums are higher. It's important to know what you are buying into, because your usage pattern could in effect void the insurance if the insurance company becomes aware of it.
Agreed. My policy is based on around 5000 miles a year. It is much more expensive insurance but worth it if you total it. I went through Hagerty. There main thing they want to know is that it is not your primary vehicle for daily use.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:00 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
So sorry for all you Texans...
Going to be a bunch of bad cars coming up on the market this winter, buyer be ware!
sorry for your loss Jay. I hope you and your family are safe.

I hope all RLers in Houston are safe.

Last edited by wolfgang1; 08-30-2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: unintentionally insensitive - modified post
Old 08-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just saw on the news here in Sweden that they've found a toddler holding on to her dead mother. Her mom was struggling to keep her child safe and ended up losing her life. The body was apparently floating and that's how the toddler survived. Unbelievable how disturbing this is!

Just tragic, poor people! Be happy that it's only a car, no matter how much we love these machines, in the end it is just that...a machine.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:04 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Berra
Just saw on the news here in Sweden that they've found a toddler holding on to her dead mother. Her mom was struggling to keep her child safe and ended up losing her life. The body was apparently floating and that's how the toddler survived. Unbelievable how disturbing this is!

Just tragic, poor people! Be happy that it's only a car, no matter how much we love these machines, in the end it is just that...a machine.

Exactly. Terrible. I'm surprised people are even taking about a car here. It sucks but material items can always be replaced.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
Exactly. Terrible. I'm surprised people are even taking about a car here. It sucks but material items can always be replaced.
Everyone is talking about a car here because that is the topic of the thread!

I think everyone understands the tremendous loss people are suffering from in the area, but don't come in here trying to make everyone feel bad for talking about a car when it is well known larger losses have happened.

The OP is in no way trying to detract from what happened, only asked for fellow's advice / opinions.

@OP - hope it all works out and as others have said, hope your loved ones are all OK in the area as well!

Quick Reply: Flooded in Houston