Sponsored by:

The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 01:05 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by engerman
Was thinking about bidding on the track car (bat). But am slightly unsure about maintenance. Found a video of it on BBI’s YouTube. Seems to have been converted to a 4.0 roughly 10 years ago, would this mean the engine is due for a rebuild, this is on the assumption of it being treated like a cup car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HEVLUajOXx0
What's your intended use? Race? HPDE? I think on a racecar I would be most concerned with the leakdown/compression numbers as well as oil analysis. If you plan to race it then I would want to know how many hours and plan a rebuild around 80-100 hours preventative. The racing hours is strictly based on what I have read around here with no direct experience so hopefully others weigh in.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:05 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
Well, sounds like I'll be picking up a sparsly optioned 2004. 55k miles, completely stock, has all the big maintenance done (lines, lsd, clutch, etc) for $67k. Two owner car but the last owner has owned it since 900 miles. 100ish range 1s and zero range 2s. No accident history. Seem like a decent deal?
Yes, very good deal. One owner that long, who drove it that much, is a very, very good sign. Don't have to reveal the color until its a done deal but if its a special one that the market likes (blue/white/yellow/grey) you may have even hit a home run.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:07 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Yes, very good deal. One owner that long, who drove it that much, is a very, very good sign. Don't have to reveal the color until its a done deal but if its a special one that the market likes (blue/white/yellow/grey) you may have even hit a home run.
It sure sounds like its Drola's car based on the specifics.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:17 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
It sure sounds like its Drola's car based on the specifics.
I don't think so. Drola's car is not sparsely optioned (lots of carbon and literally more leather with deviated stitching than I have ever seen on a 996 (even the lower center console, console lid, door thresholds, and steering wheel surround). Plus, drola's has more miles.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:49 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
I don't think so. Drola's car is not sparsely optioned (lots of carbon and literally more leather with deviated stitching than I have ever seen on a 996 (even the lower center console, console lid, door thresholds, and steering wheel surround). Plus, drola's has more miles.
Whoops! Thanks for the correction.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:05 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 254 Posts

@brontosaurus Yes that is an excellent deal, good luck with the PPI

Last edited by Patrick3000; 01-22-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:56 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by engerman
Was thinking about bidding on the track car (bat). But am slightly unsure about maintenance. Found a video of it on BBI’s YouTube. Seems to have been converted to a 4.0 roughly 10 years ago, would this mean the engine is due for a rebuild, this is on the assumption of it being treated like a cup car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HEVLUajOXx0
I liked that car and tried as hard as I could to diligence it. Seller refused to provide any info, almost to the point of deliberate obstruction (probably 20 emails back and forth over 4 days). Could not figure out how to let me see the car in person; I was only 50 miles away. I do believe he’s an older gentlemen that didn’t actually know the specifics, but refusing to provide any documentation of the rebuild until “after the auction” was concerning. He didn’t know if the gearbox had an LSD and was unsure about hours on the motor. He did know that it ha sat in a warehouse for 10 years with fuel in the lines......and only runs on 110. I felt that was important information that should have been provided. Someone buying the car for DE is going to be pissed once they realize they’re going to have to chase fuel around (and pay $10/gal vs $3.40), not to mention the expensive prospect of tearing apart the fuel system before it should be run. The ABS and all safety equipment will need to be addressed too.

I did my best to contact Betim at BBi but he avoided me like the plague. Two phone messages and an email.....crickets. That concerned me quite a bit and prevented me from even thinking about bidding. The seller said he contacted him to let him know to expect my call. Hmmmm.

In the end I believe the buyer will need $20k or so of preventative maintenance before hitting the track, which probably won’t be done because the buyer wasn’t provided the proper info. My guess is the buyer will be deeeeeeep into this thing before it’s said and done.

I was able to track down lap times (he had run with my race club), and the car was very slow....almost 2 full classes off pace. That can certainly (and to a large part) be down to driver skill, but it’s still data he deliberately withheld, even after being asked directly.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:59 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Wow. That's brutal and if true needs to be posted in the BAT thread if not already. That sort of discourse in the for sale auction is what makes BAT the platform it is IMO.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:03 PM
DaveGT3996
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree. Post on BaT so the buyer can make a measured decision, If payment hasn't already been transferred.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:04 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Everyone sees a GT car and gets their hopes up. Sometimes a luck out and other times not. Trust me, your story is minor compared to a few that have been on there. Look my name up and you’ll see one that I commented on....a 2004 STi. You think you had a bad experience.....
Old 01-22-2021, 06:25 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

As good it as it sounds to post, the contract is legally binding. You won’t have any recourse since the transaction took time for disclosure/inspection and the verbiage in bidding.

Auctions are treated totally different than that of face to face purchases in a court of law. As mentioned prior a few pages back, someone notated a fairly nice case stating such.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:52 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Wow. That's brutal and if true needs to be posted in the BAT thread if not already. That sort of discourse in the for sale auction is what makes BAT the platform it is IMO.
Originally Posted by DaveGT3996
I agree. Post on BaT so the buyer can make a measured decision, If payment hasn't already been transferred.
I considered posting the comments and potentially killing the auction, but I am not a fan of the BaT armchair bandits. Most comments are crass and extremely uniformed and I’m simply not interested in contributing to the spectacle. I will concede that occasionally very important info is uncovered, but BaT nearly universally allows the auctions to continue and some unfortunate soul gets caught up in the fever and ends up with a money pit.

Simple fact of the matter is that most of my take away is my opinion. It’s an opinion formed from a lifetime of racing, 22 years exposure to Porsche and 8 building and driving a 6, but still my opinion. As alluded to in my previous post, I’m not sure the seller was trying to “get one over” on the auction, just that he’s old and probably doesn’t know much about the car or care to deal with the “technological” side of selling a car. He may have thought the info I deemed vital was simply unimportant.

In the end I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to hurt a person I wasn’t convinced was amoral. I would have still bought the car at $48k knowing everything I know. If I truly thought he was running a con I would have out’ed him......and still bought the car. Had I taken that path I think it would have said more about me than the seller.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by mehoff

I did my best to contact Betim at BBi but he avoided me like the plague. Two phone messages and an email.....crickets. That concerned me quite a bit and prevented me from even thinking about bidding. The seller said he contacted him to let him know to expect my call. Hmmmm.

Perhaps that's why he avoided the call.
He did not want to answer "hard questions"

Be well
The following users liked this post:
TopPorscheFan (01-27-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 08:36 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Perhaps that's why he avoided the call.
He did not want to answer "hard questions"

Be well
Possible liability with no upside. Understandable.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:45 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Originally Posted by mehoff
I considered posting the comments and potentially killing the auction, but I am not a fan of the BaT armchair bandits. Most comments are crass and extremely uniformed and I’m simply not interested in contributing to the spectacle. I will concede that occasionally very important info is uncovered, but BaT nearly universally allows the auctions to continue and some unfortunate soul gets caught up in the fever and ends up with a money pit.

Simple fact of the matter is that most of my take away is my opinion. It’s an opinion formed from a lifetime of racing, 22 years exposure to Porsche and 8 building and driving a 6, but still my opinion. As alluded to in my previous post, I’m not sure the seller was trying to “get one over” on the auction, just that he’s old and probably doesn’t know much about the car or care to deal with the “technological” side of selling a car. He may have thought the info I deemed vital was simply unimportant.

In the end I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to hurt a person I wasn’t convinced was amoral. I would have still bought the car at $48k knowing everything I know. If I truly thought he was running a con I would have out’ed him......and still bought the car. Had I taken that path I think it would have said more about me than the seller.

You oppose the system of bidding in an online auction where discourse (no matter how improper) is allowed. Yet you would entertain the thought to capitalize on “outing” people for gain. You realize you cannot have your cake and eat it as well. I don’t care if you’re nobody in the Porsche world or Mr Mezger. As a side, you should spell his last name correctly. I made the mistake when I first joined the p-club. But you’re a legend and didn’t.

You either move on with times, or propose a better system and hope people catch on. I’m thinking you’re not in for the latter....

If you truly think you could have bought that 996 for 48k, I think you might need to take a trip back to 2011-12. But I’ll entertain your reasoning next time Carweek in Monterey occurs. Drop me a line. I’ll supply the brew.

Quick Reply: The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...