996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021 | 11:16 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

I'm glad you haven't bought it yet... Enough said.
Old 10-14-2021 | 11:44 AM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Really wish the seller would leave a bit of meat on the bone for me.

I love the idea of bringing it back to life, it’s just a hard decision.

Most ppl are saying it can be fixed…but it’s a process, I’m new to Nashville, and don’t have a big network here.

Old 10-14-2021 | 11:47 AM
DaveGT3996
Advanced

Seems like you have more reasons for negotiation now...
Old 10-14-2021 | 11:51 AM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Originally Posted by DaveGT3996
Seems like you have more reasons for negotiation now...

Said the Canadian dollar moved, he has no more room to move, and he’s got a line of people ready to buy it.

Old 10-14-2021 | 02:16 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

So how much is the list of things you mentioned above? Plus the cosmetics and the stuff that you should do while you are at it... And now another possible $15k? Sounds to me this is going to be an over six figure projects.
Old 10-14-2021 | 03:45 PM
ChaoticSquare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
Said the Canadian dollar moved, he has no more room to move, and he’s got a line of people ready to buy it.
The number of people/dealers (on all goods) that have used the "I have a line of people" on me only to continue to sit on the product is high. Perhaps he does, perhaps he doesn't, do you want THAT car? Is that the color you want, or are you being driven to it because it's rare? I didn't look at cars that weren't white or polar silver as that's what I wanted. The cats may be bad, which is another $5k of parts unless your state doesn't test in which case it's a much cheaper fix.

Last edited by ChaoticSquare; 10-14-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2021 | 04:38 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by ChaoticSquare
The number of people/dealers (on all goods) that have used the "I have a line of people" on me only to continue to sit on the product is high. Perhaps he does, perhaps he doesn't, do you want THAT car? Is that the color you want, or are you being driven to it because it's rare? I didn't look at cars that weren't white or polar silver as that's what I wanted. The cats may be bad, which is another $5k of parts unless your state doesn't test in which case it's a much cheaper fix.
A line of people that I would hope would not buy it blindly.and due their due diligence too, or perhaps be reading this thread. Add it all up for us with the known costs including refinishing the paint and wheels, and other known costs, then another column with the maybe needed costs.

The pictures of melted and warped stuff trip me out, along with peeling clear coat. 996 paint holds up well. If it's throwing codes and has a melted box, who lets their car get that way?

Love the blue color, but be honest with yourself about the value of that. It's .50 cents a mile on Porsches. GT cars are less than that, but not immune to it.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 10-14-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2021 | 04:50 PM
2000m2
Racer

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
I suspect that "line of people" has gotten a lot smaller with the information in this thread, even if they are not Rennlist members.
Old 10-14-2021 | 06:29 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

I'm still in the "probably should buy it camp," but it really depends on the price. Without knowing the entry cost, its hard to give advice. I bought my rough example for a price that made sense for me, but would not have paid much more (because I knew what it would it would take to make it right). But, I will say, I concur with Upscale Audio. I have never seen peeling clear coat like that on an original paint panel. Something is up with that panel. It must have been repainted, otherwise, the rest of the paint should be showing similar issues. It looks like the kind of peeling you get when a painter just tapes the trim and doesn't remove it when doing a spot repair, so that you are left with an exposed (or nearly exposed) edge that is susceptible to future peeling/erosion of the clear coat. Likewise, that heat damage is just bizarre. Very, very atypical for a modern Porsche (unless it was external damage, such as from a rodent, which is my guess if its no longer heating up like that).

One final thought. While I am also typically skeptical when a dealer says "other folks are waiting in line," I wouldn't discount that in this case. Its a rare/cool color and there aren't exactly a lot of "driver" examples on the market, and I can tell you that I personally know of about 5 folks actively looking for such a car. If Indie passes, I doubt it would be available for another week while the next man up dives in. Indie is cautious and that is great, but I bet the next guy won't be nearly so. Tough choice! If it were me, I'd make my "best and final" offer and be prepared if the answer is "no" and move on. But you better make sure your best and final is truly your best and final, otherwise if the answer is "no" and you lose your chance, you are going to regret it (I'm a civil litigator, and go through these types of decisions all the time in the litigation mediation context).
Old 10-14-2021 | 08:32 PM
ChaoticSquare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
One final thought. While I am also typically skeptical when a dealer says "other folks are waiting in line," I wouldn't discount that in this case. Its a rare/cool color If it were me, I'd make my "best and final" offer and be prepared if the answer is "no" and move on. But you better make sure your best and final is truly your best and final, otherwise if the answer is "no" and you lose your chance, you are going to regret it (I'm a civil litigator, and go through these types of decisions all the time in the litigation mediation context).
Absolutely. You ask yourself what you’re willing to pay, and that’s the offer. Then if you get it you’re happy, and if you don’t you sleep better. I’m a bit of an oddball as I previously negotiated for a living and hate doing it in my personal life. I don’t get “steal of a deals”, but I don’t ever feel I’ve missed out on things I’ve made offers on.
Old 10-14-2021 | 11:56 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
I'm still in the "probably should buy it camp," but it really depends on the price. Without knowing the entry cost, its hard to give advice. I bought my rough example for a price that made sense for me, but would not have paid much more (because I knew what it would it would take to make it right). But, I will say, I concur with Upscale Audio. I have never seen peeling clear coat like that on an original paint panel. Something is up with that panel. It must have been repainted, otherwise, the rest of the paint should be showing similar issues. It looks like the kind of peeling you get when a painter just tapes the trim and doesn't remove it when doing a spot repair, so that you are left with an exposed (or nearly exposed) edge that is susceptible to future peeling/erosion of the clear coat. Likewise, that heat damage is just bizarre. Very, very atypical for a modern Porsche (unless it was external damage, such as from a rodent, which is my guess if its no longer heating up like that)..
Or the clear coat could have been damaged if the car was parked outside for years and years and this was the side facing the sun. But it's not like it was living in Arizona.
Old 10-15-2021 | 12:37 AM
94526GT3
Advanced

My opinion. We all have them… From what I have read we expect upcoming paint work and maintenance including lines, flywheel etc to be $15-20k for this car before the electrical issue was found. For $65k to slowly fix these issues is a new brainer BUY THE CAR!

Now though you cant even have this car parked on a trickle without waking up every hour fearing it will burn down the garage. I would pass on the car unless you can get that fixed. If an estimate is another $5-20k to fix it now your total maintenance is $20k to $40k so worst case your spending $105k for an almost 100k mile car. There are so many ways you can spend $105k on a car even though this is a rare cobalt blue… but with almost 100k miles…

Id take the 997.2 listed with 60k miles for $115k instead. Although my wife would kill me if I bought another Porsche…

The following users liked this post:
sithot (10-19-2021)
Old 10-15-2021 | 11:19 AM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by 94526GT3
My opinion. We all have them… From what I have read we expect upcoming paint work and maintenance including lines, flywheel etc to be $15-20k for this car before the electrical issue was found. For $65k to slowly fix these issues is a new brainer BUY THE CAR!

Now though you cant even have this car parked on a trickle without waking up every hour fearing it will burn down the garage. I would pass on the car unless you can get that fixed. If an estimate is another $5-20k to fix it now your total maintenance is $20k to $40k so worst case your spending $105k for an almost 100k mile car. There are so many ways you can spend $105k on a car even though this is a rare cobalt blue… but with almost 100k miles…

Id take the 997.2 listed with 60k miles for $115k instead. Although my wife would kill me if I bought another Porsche…
That is a deal. But the dealer may have gotten wise as they may have it call for price I think. They have a 5 day / 250 mile refund. It was a press car so had some hard use early on.

2010 GT3
Old 10-15-2021 | 11:24 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 94526GT3

I agree with all of this.

I stopped by and saw that 997.2 yesterday, snapped a few photos, didn't drive it. They hadn't even detailed it yet. Track rubber still on rockers and front bumper, yellowed clear bra halfway up the hood, roll bar, OZ wheels. Sounds like it was also a former press car according to the sleuths in the 997 gt3 for sale thread. Right up my alley honestly, I love drivers. But, just not sure its worth nearly 50% over my driver 996 gt3. Anyone with experience in both?
Old 10-15-2021 | 02:23 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by craina
I agree with all of this.

I stopped by and saw that 997.2 yesterday, snapped a few photos, didn't drive it. They hadn't even detailed it yet. Track rubber still on rockers and front bumper, yellowed clear bra halfway up the hood, roll bar, OZ wheels. Sounds like it was also a former press car according to the sleuths in the 997 gt3 for sale thread. Right up my alley honestly, I love drivers. But, just not sure its worth nearly 50% over my driver 996 gt3. Anyone with experience in both?

To me the 6-3 vs. 7-3 decision comes down to how much you value aesthetics and "flex appeal." That's because if you are just talking about money per performance, I don't (personally) feel the cost delta is worth it. It doesn't take much in the way of mods for a 6-3 to keep up with a 7.1-3 (I've had both...996 was more fun and touch quicker than my stock 997, albeit with a little less torque, meaning that one has to wring out the 996 a bit more to keep up). Keeping up with a 7.2 is a taller order, but again, they can be close, so the question is "how much do you want the updated cosmetics?" None of these cars are really "fast" by modern standards, so for me it really comes down to value (and, plus, I love the rarity and "almost classic" status of the 996). A driver 996 can still be had for around 70, but a driver 7.1 and especially 7.2 are MUCH more.
The following 2 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
craina (10-16-2021), SupraSaiyan (10-15-2021)

Quick Reply: The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...