Sponsored by:

The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 05:46 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I saw this as an 80's car minimum from the start. .
if someone is willing to pay in the 80's for this unloved silver car, then that bodes well for me
Old 01-02-2021, 08:49 PM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
if someone is willing to pay in the 80's for this unloved silver car, then that bodes well for me
Are you still thinking of selling Craig? I thought sanity had prevailed a few weeks ago and you had had second thoughts.....
After selling my 23k mile GT3 last September, I still have regrets, even though my (new to me) GT4 is a really good car - a GT3 it is not .
Old 01-03-2021, 12:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
But with these cars becoming more collectible, things like "not being dried with a diaper" is a story because they want to stick it in their garage and smell it once a month....
That will not matter when their value gets fully recognized. No one cares today whether a 73 RS or a 964 RS has been dried with a diaper or has had clean suspension and wheel wells 30 years ago.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:49 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGT3996
I was outbid yesterday and I'm gonna pass on this one. Too many owners and history for me.
I passed at 65.5k for the same reasons...
Old 01-03-2021, 03:39 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 219 Posts

Regarding the high number of owners - when I was shopping for a 6GT3 I found many cars with really low miles and oddly high numbers of owners. It appears there were folks who bought these cars early on and realized pretty quickly that a 996 Turbo was probably more the direction they should have gone. The Gt3 was too focused (read harsh, loud, and difficult to drive fast on the street) compared to the all wheel drive Turbo. I don't know if that's true but I looked at one that was at a Porsche dealer and the salesman said he was selling the car for the third time with the prior owners having traded the car for turbos. I'm not sure it matters. That car sold while I was on the test drive. I ended up with a one owner car but it had the highest miles of any GT3 I looked at. Given the choice I might have gone for the lower mileage multi owner car but only if the lower miles meant better condition and maintenance. I think its a big picture decision. Some Porsche notables have speculated that the 6GT3 will be the water cooled Carrera RS. I'm not going that far but I'm not selling my 6GT3 either.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:09 PM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Just posted this on the listing on BaT... kinda like it, so cross-posting here in case any of us aren't also completely BaT obsessed... enjoy!

Shall we all just add to the praise for the 6GT3?

I got tired (as someone previously mentioned) of driving my raw, loud, smelly (all good things!) 70RSR 3+ hours to SoCal tracks (mostly out in the HOT desert) and took some time off of big tracks until I was ready to buy an RV, tow rig, and had time to travel and race…

In the meantime, picked up a neat 2001 996 C2 (RTRO996 because of the houndstooth seats, etc) and started down the slippery slope… added a take off GT3 suspension, new wheels, started shopping for roll bar, seats, etc. At that point, I (wisely) realized I could spend a small fortune making a (not quite) GT3 clone… that would never be worth more than a heavily modified 996 C2.

Blinders off, I decided to sell on the 70RSR, RTRO996, and just buy myself a GT3 (Duh)! Found an amazing 2004 Slate grey (now SL8GT3, one of 11 in ’04/’05), with euro GT3 seats, tequipment roll bar, full headers-back Fabspeed exhaust, upgraded alcantara steering wheel, harnesses, etc… AND the original seats, steering wheel, exhaust, etc neatly wrapped and stored in case anyone ever wanted to return to stock… less than 25K original miles.

This car is everything the 70RSR is… every time I turn the key, its an opera (Cry of the Valkeries!), its an event, its an occasion… even if I’m just running an errand. Driving to the track is practically relaxing… stereo, AC, comfy seats… Wow, it’s like living in the 20th Century! At the autocross or the track (and it does like big tracks, like Big Willow) the thing is a beast. Has ALL the nannies you could want (ABS), so a big upgrade from the 70RSR in terms of tech ;-) and the power to weight ratio is right on, the engine just zings to 8,200 rpm making the most glorious noise as it hunts anything (and I do mean anything) else on track. Rewards great car control, placement, braking and throttle application (like the old 70RSR), and will let you know unceremoniously if you get it wrong. Get it right though, and you know you’ve accomplished something almost no-one gets to experience these days — mastering a machine that is practically unbeatable when driven well at the limit, and that will try to kill you if you mess up… that’s when you feel 100% alive!

So yes, to all the comparisons to early air-cooled hot rods and factory racers, and yes to the barely civilized but immense usability. And yes to the market just starting to wake up to the inherent value of these very limited production, .1 and .2 GT cars… the ones that started it all… everyone that has come after has been somewhat more, and also somewhat less at the same time. We’re never going back to this rawness, this purity, and this passion, even if we may have streaked ahead in terms of raw speed and ease.

So that’s my GT3 story… hard to imagine at this point that I will ever buy another car like it (although, I do hang out on BaT enough to know that’s not true ;-) Whoever buys this will have punched their E-ticket ride (yes, I’m old enough to know what that means first hand). You’ll only regret it if you don’t take the plunge!
The following 3 users liked this post by cag4:
André 3.0 (01-04-2021), joejenie (01-03-2021), paddlefoot64 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:11 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Regarding owners, I have 0 concern about number of owners. On my 997 GT3, I'm the 6th owner. Have been in contact with the previous 5 owners. Have records back to 2013. All of them over maintained the car.

On this car, the rotors look to have seen some track use. That cracking appears to be more than what a street car would have.

The rollbar being tequipment is actually nice. I'd remove it on my car, but I'd keep it most likely.

The seller could have easily painted those seat backs to match the build sheet, but clearly didn't want to do that and if anything, I guess I'd rather have the car as is and then decide what I want to do.

The engine replaced carfax record is an interesting one. Shows the engine being replaced in 6/2009, then the oil leak on the carfax in 7/2009, but the record uploaded looks to be for the oil leak in 7/2009. I'd want more info on that.

I think this is probably a $70-80k car as it sits. Engine replacement would personally concern me for future value, since there will always be questions about that, if I could get info from the dealer on when/why that was done, that'd be helpful, but some dealers don't keep records past a certain amount of time, unless they are warranty claims in Porsche's system. I would say that BAT is not a good indicator of the market though. Have seen cars sell for way more, or way less, than they should. Like mentioned in a previous post, all depends if the right people are in the room that day. That may or may not happen. BAT seems to require their sellers to have relatively low reserves, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one is close to reserve.

For some context, I'm a 997 GT3 owner, so I have 0 to gain or lose from what this auction does, but figured I'd give my insight. Obviously though I'd like to see this one do well, it helps the entire GT car market.

Best of luck to anyone buying this one.
The following users liked this post:
engerman (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:13 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
Are you still thinking of selling Craig?
Yes
But
3 months
or
3 years
?
Old 01-03-2021, 07:07 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by 94526GT3
Yup I was thinking the same price range. And if this happens good luck finding any cleaner 6gt3 at or near 70k again.
Millenia Motors in Longwood Florida has one for $67k. I can vouch for the owners of the dealership. Good friends who I’ve used for a few purchases and sales. I wish I was in the position to pick up their 6-3, but have 3 Porsches and am building a new home so need all my cash. https://milleniamotors.com/2004-pors...-32750/6800123
Old 01-03-2021, 07:07 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

Oops, $70k not $67k.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:21 AM
engerman
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Regarding owners, I have 0 concern about number of owners. On my 997 GT3, I'm the 6th owner. Have been in contact with the previous 5 owners. Have records back to 2013. All of them over maintained the car.
Agreed, service records > owner count (unless 1 owner). I suspect full service records will be as valuable (if not more) than a low owner car long term.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:22 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Millenia Motors in Longwood Florida has one for $67k. I can vouch for the owners of the dealership. Good friends who I’ve used for a few purchases and sales. I wish I was in the position to pick up their 6-3, but have 3 Porsches and am building a new home so need all my cash. https://milleniamotors.com/2004-pors...-32750/6800123
Seems like a fair price if everything checks out. Interesting choice with the silver paint on the interior. Seems a bit out of place with the black/yellow theme. Wonder if that the "custom tailoring" option on the buildsheet.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:34 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 97 Posts

I have no idea how many owners my car has had.
Like NO idea.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:51 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
At $70k, this seems like a deal if the PCCB brakes are good. It was reportedly checked out by a Porsche dealer so I would think they checked the rotors with the special tool.

Bob
Old 01-04-2021, 04:09 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

BAT 39K mile silver version SOLD $77k plus fees. What's BAT's buying fees? Not bad (buyer or seller) for a mid mileage driver.

Quick Reply: The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...