Sponsored by:

Have I made a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:18 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Have I made a mistake?

So, I recently bought a beautiful low mileage '04 GT3 and I had my first real drive in it today. Now I'm thinking I may have made a mistake!?

I just moved back to Canada after living in Germany and England for almost 10 years. Over there I had a '96 993 C2 with lots of track focused modifications. I visited many big name European tracks, including the 'Ring in and did many 'bucket list' driving tours (Stelivo, Romba pass, etc.). I loved driving the 993 (once the suspension was upgraded) but the whole time I had it I thought to myself... instead of spending all the money upgrading the 993 I should have just bought a GT3 and been done with it.

When I found out I was moving back I sold the 993 thinking this was my opportunity! I bought the GT3 in the middle of winter so I only drove it for a few kms to check it out and I guess during the test drive I was still intoxicated with the power and idea of actually owning it.

Now after driving it (on shockingly bad roads compared to Germany) I'm just not feeling the love. Sure it's fast and handling is supreme but it's missing something... I know it's a cliche but the older cars just offered something different -at least to me.

Maybe once I get to the track I will change my mind and maybe I just miss driving my 993 in its natural habitat and I'm being sentimental.

I guess the old saying is true "...the grass is always greener." What to do?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 PM
kurtkrum
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue....but when you get on a track your tune will change.

You need however to get a rebuilt limited slip and you need an alignment before you get to the track. These two issues always plague 6GT3 handling and are key to performing well on the track. Get a Guard rebuild on your LSD. Also get a few rear suspension bits so your alignment stays intact at the track - I got RSS toe links wth bump adjustment and an eccentric lockout and I am a happy camper.

The car is harder to drive than your 993 - but after a weekend at the track you're going to love it.

By the way...the 996 GT3 is a pure sports car compared to the models that have come after it....maybe the last of the pure porsches. You will grow to love this. I'm keeping mine forever...
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

996 gt3 is very boring for street use. San Francisco roads suck dogdoo- never liked the ride. On track totally different ball game. Mike
Old 04-07-2013, 12:11 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

I agree with the previous responses. I had a 964 with several nice performance mods and it was loads of fun on the street and pretty decent on track. The old air cooled cars have a great sound even at low and medium revs; they’re lively and fun at the kind of modest speeds you can exploit on a good back road and they’re full of character overall. As pure street cars they’re hard to beat.

A 996 GT3 is only ho-hum as a street car – the suspension is pretty rough on anything less than perfect roads; it’s performance envelope is high enough to make it feel uneventful at street speeds; you’d have to be crazy to drive it anywhere near its potential on any public road, and at low and medium revs it doesn’t sound as good to my ear as the old cars. But get it on a track and run it up to 8000 RPM’s and it’s a whole different ball game. Not only is it faster than the old cars, but it’s more thrilling too. In fact, you’ll appreciate it more on the street once you’ve felt it on the track. Knowing what it’s capable of, you’ll feel as if you have a tiger on a leash every time you drive it on the street.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

if you are more than 500rpm below max rpm fuel cutoff, you have NOT driven a 996gt3.
every gear, you need to get there. then you understand why 993 is such a boring car. yes, i have had several 993 modded to wazoo, and driven 993RSCS as well.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 AM
alexl911
Pro

I guess I'm just going to have to add something else to the garage.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:47 AM
kk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Honestly.. unless you really plan on tracking the car, I'd move to something else. If you're not into it, you're not into it. I'd hate to see you spend thousands on maintenance and upgrades on a car that isn't right for you.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

6gt3 is a bad car for street. 993 is so much a better car for street. Gotta say 6gt3 lives and breathes track- nothing else. Mike
Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

^ agree. But, don't discount it until after a couple track days.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, 6gt3 suspension makes for an unpleasant ride on less than perfect roads.
But who buys one for the street only? Street + track makes it worth it.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:53 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I went from a heavily modded 993 to my GT3. The 993 is a wonderful car, and does have some charm that is missing from the GT3. As has been said above, the GT3 isn't a great street car, especially if you have roads like we have here in Michigan. It is much more expensive to maintain and to mod. As a track car, it runs circles around the 993. Just decide where your priorities are before you dump $$$ into the GT3.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:12 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sort of in the same situation other then I still have my DE prepped 993 in my garage, well actually my trailer but anyway... Chuck and others have also told me once I drive the 6GT3 on the track there will be no doubt which to keep. I am going to drive both of them on the track back to back in May at Tremblant. I know the 6GT3 will be faster and allow me to hang on a bit closer to the rest of the pack of GT3's I run with but if its not that much more fun then I will be keeping the 993 and eventually letting the 6GT3 go.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 343 Posts

Hey Alex,
You have a great car, I say at least drive it this year as you were planning on using it, and keep modifications to a minimum unless you really feel the track-bug biting hard. I'm on the fence which is better street car, air vs. water, aircooled's have more charm but IMO don't offer the performance unless a Turbo model and more scared of using it due to depreciation and possible damage/wear, watercooled's are faster and 'better' overall but do lack the character at normal speeds.
Drive it for this year and come spring next year see if you are excited to pull it out of storage, if lacking excitement, drive a 993 and see what fits the bill, let me know if you decide to sell
Cheers,
Old 04-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
I'm sort of in the same situation other then I still have my DE prepped 993 in my garage, well actually my trailer but anyway... Chuck and others have also told me once I drive the 6GT3 on the track there will be no doubt which to keep. I am going to drive both of them on the track back to back in May at Tremblant. I know the 6GT3 will be faster and allow me to hang on a bit closer to the rest of the pack of GT3's I run with but if its not that much more fun then I will be keeping the 993 and eventually letting the 6GT3 go.
Carm, you gotta drive the car and work the suspension for the car to give back. Unless you do, the GT3 is ho hum. If you do ... woweeeee it's fun.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:40 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Carm, you gotta drive the car and work the suspension for the car to give back. Unless you do, the GT3 is ho hum. If you do ... woweeeee it's fun.
Chris, lets ride in each others GT3 in May at Tremblant so you can show and teach me what you mean. We can take a tour in the 993 as well

Quick Reply: Have I made a mistake?