Sponsored by:

Have I made a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
Chris, lets ride in each others GT3 in May at Tremblant so you can show and teach me what you mean. We can take a tour in the 993 as well
I gotta sign up but should be ok for the May DE at Tremblant.

I have a fresh set of tires but will have to get my brain back into the swing of things.

Chris R. can pedal his GT3 around Tremblant pretty fast as well.

Respect the car and it will give back. It is very rewarding to drive fast.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:05 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Carm, you gotta drive the car and work the suspension for the car to give back. Unless you do, the GT3 is ho hum. If you do ... woweeeee it's fun.
Agree 100%. ALL the posts above are spot on... The 6GT3 really performs in the performance zone near red line. On the street, that limit is now possible - unless you don't have a problem going to jail.

I purchased my 6GT3 as a 50/50 car back in 2006 - but after one track day it became obvious that it should be dedicated track toy. Once I made this decision, it has been hard to let it go. After 7 years, my set up is know where it needs to be, and the grin on my face after a track day takes weeks to wear off... Nothing like it, IMHO. Sure, a cup car would be nice - but for the money, nothing beats a 6 GT3...

My $.02,
-B
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 PM
kfitzpat9
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Like others, I'd recommend keeping it for a year and not investing anything major into the car. It will most likely go up in value, or stay flat worst case, and you may grow to like it if you can find some decent roads. I've owned an 1980 SC, a 993, and currently have a 3.6 turbo and a GT3. To me the GT3 feels more like the SC did (nimble, lightish, good feedback, connected) as compared to the 993 and 3.6 turbo which feel heavier, although the low end torque is better.

They are all great cars in their own way, but it depends on what you're looking for. I'd say you hang onto it for awhile and definitely get it on the track.......a smooth one preferably
Old 04-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Maybe it's the sound. 996 GT3s don't sound good with the stock split exhaust banks. Merge the two banks together and enjoy the improved 997-esque sound. Having owned a 996 3.6, built a 4.0, and now a 997.2, this is absolutely the first mod I would make to a 996.

I don't agree with the "only good for track" comments. Aside from the brutal suspension, the car is nimble with instant response. The power is not excessive. It's still the best tool for taking a freeway off-ramp at speed, or carving up a nice mountain road.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Maybe it's the sound. 996 GT3s don't sound good with the stock split exhaust banks. Merge the two banks together and enjoy the improved 997-esque sound. Having owned a 996 3.6, built a 4.0, and now a 997.2, this is absolutely the first mod I would make to a 996.

I don't agree with the "only good for track" comments. Aside from the brutal suspension, the car is nimble with instant response. The power is not excessive. It's still the best tool for taking a freeway off-ramp at speed, or carving up a nice mountain road.
Can you recommend an exhaust system that's still street/track legal? I've seen lots of bypass systems on the forums but no way they would pass here in Canada. When I was in Europe, even a stock GT3RS would no longer pass the noise test at most tracks!

I agree with your comments but a) we don't have any nice mountain roads where I live and b) the draconian speeding laws mean that going anything over 50kmph on public roads is an instant license suspension, seizure of the car, a huge fine and just to rub it in they leave you at the side of the road!

I should have had a GT3 in Germany!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

No mountain roads? Sieze car for speeding?? Holey Moley. Why would anyone buy a GT3 where you live???
Old 04-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

You want a catalytic converter that merges together, like this:

You can get them from GMG, FVD, etc. The sound level should only be slightly louder than stock due to the higher flowing catalytic converters. No reason to replace the original mufflers.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I went with the SpeedTech 996 GT3 Exhaust system:
https://rennlist.com/forums/10105387-post17.html

I chose it due to its weight savings and the fact that its noise level is within the limits of the tracks I attend (Tremblant and Calabogie). John the owner of the company was also very nice to deal with.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:48 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3'er
No mountain roads? Sieze car for speeding?? Holey Moley. Why would anyone buy a GT3 where you live???
We have the roads, Alex just isn't looking hard enough, yet
Ontario has horrible road rules, tax grabs is what we call them. Find the 'right' roads and let'er go....closest track is 45mins away too...
Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Alex, the 996 GT3 is an acquired taste on the street. Mark my words, you will love it. Just give it some time. The only problem is that the gearing is so long that exploring the rev range very quickly takes you to illegal speeds.

The only reason you would "have to add something else in the garage", is if you mod the car to the point where it is no longer streetable. Kind of where I am now.

Carm, once you drive the 6 on the track, you may not need to do a back to back. See you in Tremblant.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust

Carm, once you drive the 6 on the track, you may not need to do a back to back. See you in Tremblant.
Well since everybody else including my Wife is telling me the same thing I will just have to expect that to be the case See you next month in Tremblant.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:45 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

The 996 GT3 is meant to stimulate all the senses. On the street, it's hard to do that , on the track is where everything comes alive with sight, sound, feel and a little bit of fear knowing that there are no electronic nannies to save you.

In addition to everything that has been said, a set of r compound tires in absolutely necessary for this car on track. I've found that driving the 6GT3 on street tires doesn't do this car justice -- the sticky rubber lets it shine.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
The 996 GT3 is meant to stimulate all the senses. On the street, it's hard to do that , on the track is where everything comes alive with sight, sound, feel and a little bit of fear knowing that there are no electronic nannies to save you.

In addition to everything that has been said, a set of r compound tires in absolutely necessary for this car on track. I've found that driving the 6GT3 on street tires doesn't do this car justice -- the sticky rubber lets it shine.
Totally agree Pete. Once I put some R comp Nitto NT-01s on the car she became a beast. The chassis melded with the tires grip to become a track machine.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete

Well said!!!! As I have only had the car for a little over 1 year and have only done 5 DE's I wanted to accrue a bit more experience with the car before making the switch to R-compound tires. I look forward to possibly switching after another 5 or so DE's.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
and driven 993RSCS as well.
where did you do this, kind sir?

Quick Reply: Have I made a mistake?