Sponsored by:

Have I made a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 03:25 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDrew
Only 2 dissapointments for me on my 6gt3: wheels and exhaust. I do not care for the deep pitch on the 6. The exhaust note on the 7gt3 is much better (higher pitch). I changed my mufflers to Cargraphic and it is better (louder) but still not great.

I would love to get this sounding like a 7gt3. Is that a possibility without spending $5 to $8k to do it?
Fabspeed catless xpipe helps.
Speedtech has developed a nice exhaust too.

I will be trying a center outlet cup car exhaust this season.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:18 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

^The SpeedTech one in that video is the one I am getting, the full system with sport cats.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
So you and Francois were at Mosport some time last week?
3-day weekend with BMW Trillium. You should have come out, it's incredible value for instructors.

BTW, the GT3 is very much a momentum car, albeit with more power than you would expect from a typical momentum car. No point and squirt here, it's all about finesse and subtlety.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:43 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
3-day weekend with BMW Trillium. You should have come out, it's incredible value for instructors.

BTW, the GT3 is very much a momentum car, albeit with more power than you would expect from a typical momentum car. No point and squirt here, it's all about finesse and subtlety.
Ah, okay I will keep that in mind for next year. See you in Tremblant later this month.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 AM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3'er
No mountain roads? Sieze car for speeding?? Holey Moley. Why would anyone buy a GT3 where you live???
why would anyone want to LIVE in an environment like that?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 AM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nycartdealer
why would anyone want to LIVE in an environment like that?
Because I'm planning on taking it to the track!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
So, I recently bought a beautiful low mileage '04 GT3 and I had my first real drive in it today. Now I'm thinking I may have made a mistake!?

I guess the old saying is true "...the grass is always greener." What to do?

What to do indeed? Mooty, LVDell, 996FLT6, KK2, others please read and respond?

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
996 gt3 is very boring for street use. San Francisco roads suck dogdoo- never liked the ride. On track totally different ball game. Mike
I'll start to explain here.
I first started looking @ P cars 6 years ago when my wife bought a Cayman S and opened my eyes to "sports cars". Up till then I was perfectly happy riding my bicycles and driving subie wagons

A neighbor had a SY 04 "3" with interesting build spec's. I nearly bought it, but am glad I did not because he wanted way too much $$$, nearly $80k!
I mentally masturbated for a YEAR and ended up buying a very sweet 993 4S, photo below.
I've gone through the suspension / ride height mod phase, have 4 sets of wheels and 3 different tails to install as my mood changes.
I've done many AX / DE and some TT days, but driving on the track is not really a priority. I'd rather ride my bike or fly my wingsuit. <No flames please, we all love different things>.

As much as I like the looks / sounds / aesthetic of the 993, I'm getting "bored" with it.
Not so much because it's not racey enough, more so because I've had it for 5 years and I'm ready to try something different.

Well that original 04 "3" is still F/S at what seems to be a reasonable price for an unmolested car still owned by the original dude who just happens to be a P car mechanic = primo condition.

Am I crazy to buy it knowing that I can't keep both the 993 and the 996?
I don't have the room or the $$$ to keep both cars.

Originally Posted by mooty
if you are more than 500rpm below max rpm fuel cutoff, you have NOT driven a 996gt3.
every gear, you need to get there. then you understand why 993 is such a boring car. yes, i have had several 993 modded to wazoo, and driven 993RSCS as well.
993 = boring? Well I said the same thing above.

Originally Posted by kk2
Honestly.. unless you really plan on tracking the car, I'd move to something else. If you're not into it, you're not into it. I'd hate to see you spend thousands on maintenance and upgrades on a car that isn't right for you.
Fair point. if I buy the "3", I'm going to drive as is while I decide which car to keep. No 996 mod's / upgrades / improvements (other than a good alignment) during the discovery phase.

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
6gt3 is a bad car for street. 993 is so much a better car for street. Gotta say 6gt3 lives and breathes track- nothing else. Mike
Bad for a DD. or bad for occasional driver? Why? Hard to believe stock "3" ride quality is any worse than my modded 993 (Bilstein P10's, fat anti-roll bars, RS engine mounts blah blah blah.

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I went from a heavily modded 993 to my GT3. The 993 is a wonderful car, and does have some charm that is missing from the GT3.
. Just decide where your priorities are before you dump $$$ into the GT3.
Understood as explained above.

Originally Posted by kfitzpat9
Like others, I'd recommend keeping it for a year and not investing anything major into the car.

They are all great cars in their own way, but it depends on what you're looking for.
bingo!

Well after this typing exercise, I've pretty much talked myself into buying the "3" for the discovery phase.
Gotta make up my mind ASAP since the car goes on the real market this weekend.

PS, did I tell you that I LOVE the sound of the "3" when on cold start engine map? They sound GREAT for those first 20 seconds or so.

Thanks

Craig
Attached Images    
Old 05-31-2013, 08:37 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you made a mistake? Well, the mistake was not thoroughly understanding what you were getting. When you butter your toast do you use a butter knife or a scalpel? Me? A butter knife. Why? Because it's the right tool for the job. Same analogy with the cars PCNA has given us to choose from. If you want a street car that *might* see the track, you need to buy a Carrera, Turbo, etc. as that is the proper tool for the job. The street is the toast and those cars are butter knives. However, take them to the track and you realize you brought the wrong tool. Sure they are great fun but so was sex in our teenage years....so we thought. Then you had that crazy sumer fling with a cart girl from the local golf course and did things to you that you didn't realize were possible. SHE is the 3. Point is, and car is *good* on track until you experience the RIGHT tool for the job.

I don't go to the track much these days (3-4) times a year so when I was looking for another car to add to the stable, it was a no-brainer. Another 3. This time though I went with the 7-3 because it is SOOOOOOO much more suited to the street than the 6-3 but is also very capable on track.

I drive mine much more on the street than I did my 6-3.

What you really need to figure out is what the intended purpose for the car truly is and then you will know if you made a mistake.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 AM
kk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

You need to really drive the car and be honest about its uses.

a 6 gt3 is not a restaurant car. It''s not a movie car. It's not a gym car. It's not a bring to work once a week car.

The 6 gt3 is a bring to track car. The only time I drive it on the street is when I have no destination and can hit lonely back roads for an hour or two.

It's completely under-utilized on the highway. It's not miserable, but like dell said.. butcher knife on toast.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:45 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kk2
You need to really drive the car and be honest about its uses.

a 6 gt3 is not a restaurant car. It''s not a movie car. It's not a gym car. It's not a bring to work once a week car.

The 6 gt3 is a bring to track car. The only time I drive it on the street is when I have no destination and can hit lonely back roads for an hour or two.

It's completely under-utilized on the highway. It's not miserable, but like dell said.. butcher knife on toast.
This is my opinion as well ie unless you are going track the GT3 regularly you will be making a mistake. I drove my GT3 at the track last week, it was a 3 day event. I also drove the GT3 to the track because my Trailer wasn't ready. This means I had to drive there with street tires, actually I used the street tires from the 993 so I was down a tire size on the GT3. Anyway I had so much fun with the GT3 on the track that driving it on the street after that seems like a total waste of time. I wish my 993 was not so track dedicated so I could use it on the street and focus the GT3 even more for the track. In short if my 993 was more like yours it would not be for sale, the only reason I am considering selling it is because it is a track focused car but the GT3 is an even better track focused car. Don't buy the GT3 if you are just going to use it as a street car.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHI
Fabspeed catless xpipe helps.
Speedtech has developed a nice exhaust too.
http://youtu.be/ks5rT9iP4Qc

I will be trying a center outlet cup car exhaust this season.
I have that exhaust on my 6GT3 and it sounds fantastic, especially under load on the race track.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:02 AM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a '74 Carrera with the RS motor to a 996 GT3. The Gt3 reminded me of my '69 911S, except the air conditioning really worked. The shifting is much easier than on my '74 Carrera with the 915 transmission. I don't find the GT3 to be anywhere near the modded air cooled cars I've had over the years. It is more supple than my '74 Carrera, especially over highway dividers. It doesn't foul plugs. It gets way better gas mileage. I can get in wearing a suit and get out without showing a sweat. You do need to pay attention. You really can't fuss with a phone. The occasional run up to redline on the street, wow! It is in short, a treat on the track or off.

Last edited by eab3@bellsouth.net; 05-31-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 AM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a '74 Carrera with the RS motor to a 996 GT3. The Gt3 reminded me of my '69 911S, except the air conditioning really worked. The shifting is much easier than on my '74 Carrera with the 915 transmission. I don't find the GT3 to be anywhere near the modded air cooled cars I've had over the years. It is more supple than my '74 Carrera, especially over highway dividers. It doesn't foul plugs. It gets way better gas mileage. I can get in wearing a suit and get out without showing a sweat. You do need to pay attention. You really can't fuss with a phone. The occasional run up to redline on the street, wow! It is in short, a treat on the track or off.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread guys. I think my brethren 6.2ers are spot on with their responses.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDrew
Only 2 dissapointments for me on my 6gt3: wheels and exhaust.
+1

Originally Posted by FFaust
Great point. I have been tempted by a 997.2 RS, or even a new 991 – but the “momentum car” aspect of the 6.2 keeps me learning. No nannies!

Originally Posted by LVDell
Have you made a mistake? Well, the mistake was not thoroughly understanding what you were getting. When you butter your toast do you use a butter knife or a scalpel? Me? A butter knife. Why? Because it's the right tool for the job. Same analogy with the cars PCNA has given us to choose from. If you want a street car that *might* see the track, you need to buy a Carrera, Turbo, etc. as that is the proper tool for the job. The street is the toast and those cars are butter knives. However, take them to the track and you realize you brought the wrong tool. Sure they are great fun but so was sex in our teenage years....so we thought. Then you had that crazy sumer fling with a cart girl from the local golf course and did things to you that you didn't realize were possible. SHE is the 3. Point is, and car is *good* on track until you experience the RIGHT tool for the job.
+1

Originally Posted by LVDell
I don't go to the track much these days (3-4) times a year
This is like telling me that the Pope is no longer Catholic. Say it ain’t so Dell! I still have dreams of buying your perfectly modded SY 6.2. IMHO, other than thusly's 6.2 RS clone - it was weekend track-toy perfection.

-B
Old 05-31-2013, 10:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Say it ain’t so Dell! I still have dreams of buying your perfectly modded SY 6.2. IMHO, other than thusly's 6.2 RS clone - it was weekend track-toy perfection.

-B
Trust me, so do I but Joe wouldn't sell it back to me. I had to move on

Quick Reply: Have I made a mistake?