Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosiers R6 Vs Kumho v710

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 04:05 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The very last cycle before the V710s wear out - they feel just a bit harder.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:22 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
The very last cycle before the V710s wear out - they feel just a bit harder.

So how many heat cycles do you get? From what I understand most get 14 or so out of the hoosiers.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Avg about 16-18, usually more.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I got to 38 hc's before v710's corded I rotated and flipped once and that's driving to/fro track. I have -3.2 front and 3 rear camber with slight toe in rear and zero toe front. Will last longer if trailered. Mike
Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I got to 38 hc's before v710's corded I rotated and flipped once and that's driving to/fro track. I have -3.2 front and 3 rear camber with slight toe in rear and zero toe front. Will last longer if trailered. Mike
If the grip is close to the Hoosiers and it doesn't drop off much at 35+ heat cycles, then I really need to try the Kuhmos. I can get 25ish heat cycles out of the Hoosiers (incl rotating and flipping) but the last few cycles are slippery and not particularly rewarding. I've also got a very similar setup and only trailer the car with Hoosiers. For whatever reason, every time I've tried to buy the Kumhos through (3 different) local tires shops, I'm told they are out stock incl Tirerack. Are they really that difficult to get ?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Boinkus44
If the grip is close to the Hoosiers and it doesn't drop off much at 35+ heat cycles, then I really need to try the Kuhmos. I can get 25ish heat cycles out of the Hoosiers (incl rotating and flipping) but the last few cycles are slippery and not particularly rewarding. I've also got a very similar setup and only trailer the car with Hoosiers. For whatever reason, every time I've tried to buy the Kumhos through (3 different) local tires shops, I'm told they are out stock incl Tirerack. Are they really that difficult to get ?
Steve, I'm with you, we need to find a source for these locally; I would like to try a set.

An update on my 1st ever set of Hoosiers: Had 20 hc and got them flipped on the wheels. Did the 6th Gear day at Mosport Wed with them.

Turns out that Brad had my new set of Hoo's at the track, so I gave him a set of wheels to mount them on. Was 3:30 when I got the wheels, so I figured that I would treat myself to some laps on the fresh set.

Good thing, cause when I removed the old ones, one front was corded

Yeah, traction was a bit low, but I certainly did not expect them to cord. I'll watch more closely from now on.

BTW, after 6 days at Tremblant and Calabogie, I had forgotten how bumpy Mosport was, lol. Took me a while to get my sea-legs back.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6

Seriously? That's like 9 track days.

How close are they hoosiers as far as grip goes?

How far is your drive to the track. I'm assuming it doesn't rain ever in your part of the world
Old 09-04-2011, 01:26 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Thill is about 140 miles each way which when I was running kuhmos was majority of the track miles there. The grip is very close to Hoosiers. Maybe .5 diff in a 2 minute lap maybe less. Mike
Old 09-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by FFaust
Steve, I'm with you, we need to find a source for these locally; I would like to try a set.

An update on my 1st ever set of Hoosiers: Had 20 hc and got them flipped on the wheels. Did the 6th Gear day at Mosport Wed with them.

Turns out that Brad had my new set of Hoo's at the track, so I gave him a set of wheels to mount them on. Was 3:30 when I got the wheels, so I figured that I would treat myself to some laps on the fresh set.

Good thing, cause when I removed the old ones, one front was corded

Yeah, traction was a bit low, but I certainly did not expect them to cord. I'll watch more closely from now on.

BTW, after 6 days at Tremblant and Calabogie, I had forgotten how bumpy Mosport was, lol. Took me a while to get my sea-legs back.
Francois,

Good thing you discovered the cording when you did. Curious though because we have the same setup and I've never corded the Hoosiers and have run all my sets to 25ish HC's. Definitely the grip is dropping off big time at that level, but squeezing out a few more HC's helps justify the cost. All the more reason though to try the Kuhmos.

BTW, all the changes I made to the car recently really made a difference. I was much faster than any previous time before braking for the bus stop, - and that is with the increased drag of the big wing. Fuel consumption was off the charts though - 2 x 25 min sessions drained a tank Unfortunately I broke a stud sometime during the 1st day, so I missed the last two days. Will definitely run the same event next year. LOTS of track time (the Ferrari guys run a pretty flexible event), and a blast sharing the track with Scuds and Challenge cars.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:01 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boinkus44
Unfortunately I broke a stud sometime during the 1st day, so I missed the last two days.
Why did the broken stud take you out of action? Did you not have any spares?
Old 09-04-2011, 03:20 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Steve, what studs do you run? I've had a few let go also lately, and have been talking to ACS, who have been nothing but the best. I wish all vendors were like this.

Re the cording: I had just flipped the tires following 6 days at Le Circuit and CMP, so maybe the outsides (which were now on the inside) were worn thin by the time I hit Mosport. I tried to bring it up with Gianni, but he was not impressed, so the conversation kind of stopped there. Maybe I should not have flipped them??

Well that's very good news that the mods were noticeable And thankfully not just in the gas tank.

Lots of Italian iron at the 6th Gear day too.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Why did the broken stud take you out of action? Did you not have any spares?
I had a spare set but they were sitting in my garage. First trip I can remember that I didn't pack spares. Being a Ferrari event, there were very few Porsches and none of the Porsches had a spare stud or wheel bolt. Even if I had brought a spare, don't know how I could've extracted the broken piece. Talked to 2 local shops and both said they couldn't get to it on Sat and also spoke to Brad Reiser and we just couldn't make it work logistically, so basically pooched for Sat/Sun. Lesson learned.....
Old 09-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by FFaust
Steve, what studs do you run? I've had a few let go also lately, and have been talking to ACS, who have been nothing but the best. I wish all vendors were like this.

Re the cording: I had just flipped the tires following 6 days at Le Circuit and CMP, so maybe the outsides (which were now on the inside) were worn thin by the time I hit Mosport. I tried to bring it up with Gianni, but he was not impressed, so the conversation kind of stopped there. Maybe I should not have flipped them??

Well that's very good news that the mods were noticeable And thankfully not just in the gas tank.

Lots of Italian iron at the 6th Gear day too.

FYI, the studs were Apex Comp race studs. As for your Hoosier's cording, I've always flipped them after 4 or 5 days (12-15 HC's) and they hang on for another 3 days or so. How much camber are you running ?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:49 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

3.2 front, 2.9 rear, and wear seems even.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:15 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Let me see, if I had a lighter car, oh I don't know, say a cup car, it would be easier on tires and brakes, right?

Quick Reply: Hoosiers R6 Vs Kumho v710