Sponsored by:

GT3 Competitiveness in TTS with NASA

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 Competitiveness in TTS with NASA

I know this is not meant as a HPDE or track forum, but it seems all the GT3 folks hang out here. I've searched and searched for good (reliable) lap times but they seem to be all over the place. Figured I'd post and get it from the horses mouth.

GT3 seems to fit perfectly in the power to weight ratio and I have to think suspension doesn't give anything up to any of the other cars. I can't really run slicks, my best option is Hoosier A6s, which are still pretty damn sticky.

So here are the times from around the tracks here:

VIR - 1:59 (one time), however 2:01-02 is pretty common
CMP - 1:39s
Road Atlanta - 1:29
Charlotte (Ex Lowe's) - 1:40s

How attainable are these times, if at all in a GT3? Has anybody hit these? I know Dell has done 2:03 at VIR, but not sure what was done to his car (although I did email him). How about RA for those who frequent down there?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 01-02-2011, 10:29 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's almost easier to list what WASN"T done to LV Dells car rather than what was. His car was about as close to a race car as you can get and extremely well set up in addition to it's go fast parts.

That car could make anyone look good on track (no offense intended to Dell, just trying to say how GOOD that car is set up for track use).

I think Dells car is now on the West Coast, but don't know if the new owner is as an accomplished driver as Dell is (I believe Dell also raced other cars at one point, so he is very good driver too) that car is the blue print to how one should mod a 996 GT3. What a beast!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Hmmm. I was hoping it was stock with Nittos If it's that well done and doing 2:03s than it might be less competitive than I initially thought..
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess it would depend at what stage he was when he did that time. IMHO the thing with the GT3 is the weight. If you could lighten the load by stripping it, putting bigger beef in terms of tires all around, it would undoubtedly drop seconds.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A properly setup GT3 could be a winner in TTS with a good driver. You would need to get it down to about 3,000 w/driver with 340 whp which is basically stock then it should kill in TTS. I would run R6's not the A's as they just don't last very long....
Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Alex, back when I had my GT3 it did 2:08s at VIR. It was a really 'stock' setup with R888s and PFC pads.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:05 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Thanks 9.5 - I'm hoping to hear back from Dell, plus he's very close by, probably a good guy to know!

Jr - I hear As are worth a second or two at the track. Since this is time trial I only really care about a few laps, it doesn't need to last a 30-45 sprint race

Rob - thanks. I actually watched your video on Vimeo and I know you can drive, even if it's in to my rear bumper Congrats on the win at RA by the way, too bad I missed that race.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's the breakdown on the mods to Dell's car from his old for sale posting. I believe his 2:03 was on SLICKS however they were old slicks so I'm sure there was more time in the car. Other than dropping weight you can't get much more performance out of the car.

Interior:
Full Leather
Painted Console
Yellow Belts
Schroth ProfiII-6 Belts (driver and passenger)
Porsche Tequipment Harness Rollbar
Euro GT3 Fixed Bucket seats with crest in headrest
Sub bars on both seats with Brey Krause F/E mount and F/E
Aluminum Pedals
997GT3 custom alcantara shifter for 996 (made by Gert at Carnewal)
Cup Steering Wheel
Quick Release for Wheel with Momo hub and optional spacer
I/O Port Camera Mount

Exterior:
Clear Bra (front bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors)
4-ply tear-offs on brand new windshield
4 and 8 degree rear wing shims
Underside rear chassis tow hooks
Cup Splitter
Radiator Screens
Fabspeed Bypass Pipes (will also include stock mufflers)
Custom made magnetic door numbers (if you want them)

Brakes:
PFC Direct Drive 2-piece front rotors
Motorsport rear rotors
PFC pads all around
Castrol SRF brake fluid
Conversion to BBS Studs
Braided Steel brake lines

Engine/Transmission:
Copans built tranny with cup gears (not cheap but unbelievable on track!)
Cup LSD
Cup Race Clutch
Cup Race Flywheel
(including Cup guide tube, clutch fork release bearing, pressure plate, flywheel bearing)
**this is over 10K worth of work that was just done in June**

Suspension:
Moton Double Adjustable Clubsport dampers with QD’s at all corners and monoball shock mounts
Hyperco Springs 900F/1100R
Eibach Zero Rate helper springs at all four corners
Motorsport upper rear control arms (dog bones)
Motorsport lower rear control arms with full monoball assembly
Motorsport front control arm bushings and spherical bearing bushing
Motorsport front and rear toe arms with bump steer adjustment
Adjustable drop links front and rear

Also of note, I was recently looking to purchase a similarly prepared car that also ran 2:03's at VIR but was also on full race slicks (Pirelli)

I don't know how fresh A6's might compare to a slick but maybe you'd get a comparable time. Both of the above cars that ran 2:03's were well driven. Maybe on the very edge with fresh A6's you could see the :01 or :02 at VIR

Another comparison, Peter's GT2 ran a sub 2:00 lap at VIR without slicks but has 100whp over a GT3.
http://forums.rennlist.com/marketpla...hp?product=504

Andy

Last edited by AudiOn19s; 01-03-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

...and finally since Nationals are coming back to Mid Ohio this year the TTS winner the last time out at Mid Ohio (2008) was Danny Popp who turned in a 1:31.2 on the Pro course at Mid Ohio.

I hate to knock the GT3 at all but seeing as though Mid Ohio is my home track I'm just not sure I can see a GT3 on r-compounds touching that time.

Those 'vette's are pretty tough to beat in TTS and TTU

Last edited by AudiOn19s; 01-03-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:58 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Alex, sorry, I just saw your email. I have been swamped this past week. My wife is back to work and the kids are with the nanny so all is right with the world once again.

As far as my car. Yes, it was prepared very well. With that said, the car was only modded suspension-wise and Andy posted above a good list of the car from when I sold it. The interior was still 100% untouched with it as delivered back in Aug of 2003 with the exception of an upgraded shiftknob, the euro GT3 seats, cup wheel, and the Teq rollbar. All my work was done to the suspension, gearbox (regeared 3-6), clutch and flywheel (cup), and LSD (cup clutch packs).

I ran the car on PS2's then Nitto NT01's then R6's and finally went to used Yokohoma scrubs from Bob Chick in 250F 280R

The last time I had the car on track I decided to to "take it easy". I did until Matt (930man) in his modded GT2 that Peter now has, and another friend Jim (JMac) in his C6R decided they wanted to run. Well, the last thing you can do is let your friends down so we had some serious fun that day. I honestly believe that I would have never hit that 203 had it not been for the blazing fast carrots I was chasing. You should have seen the straight line speed they had. We would be practically even at Oak Tree and Hogpen but then they'd have me by several second to the end of the straights! The tires that day had 20 HC's by me alone already on them and then however many heat cycles they had when I bought them used. If I had the car for one more event (or even that one) with the opportunity to run a new set of slicks in the proper sizes that I am pretty confident I could have approached that 2 min threshold.

The time was ONLY possibly if 3 things were working together:
1. Proper upgraded parts
2. Proper setup (alignment, corner balance, etc)
3. Driver Talent

I am by no means the fastest guy out there but I am fairly confident I can hang up front all things being equal. And while my car had some great pieces on it, it could not make anybody look good contrary to previous statements. You can have #1 and #2 from above with the best of everything possible, but if #3 is not there then you will be much slower. Everything happens so fast for the 2 min lap at VIR and there must be total understanding of how to drive this beast and also the talent to proactively correct what will happen. Reactive does not work in this car. I spent several years in that car and more laps at on track than I care to count which was the only reason I could do that. I knew that car backwards and forwards. Today? I'm slow and just have fun on track as I got out of the game pretty much after the second kid came along in Fall of 09.

I honestly do not see a 6GT3 breaking 2 minutes without having the word CUP no the rear decklid. However, had I gone through with the transformation of gutting the car, caging it, and getting the weight way down to make it a baby cup (i.e., the word cup on the back ), I have no doubt I could have broke 2 minutes.

Where did you get the time you listed for those tracks? And for what car?

Running a 159-202 or better at VIR on Hoosiers is not going to happen unless it is a baby cup.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Thanks everyone. At the end I'm not after a national title, just wanted to guage how close the car would be.

Dell - those are the times current TTS folks are running. At VIR it's Wally in his Corvette, same for RA, CMP it was a Subaru. Basically, Corvette is the car to beat. They are right at the 8.7 to 1 ratio required by the rules, but have a lot more torque than a GT3 car.

For the record, I'm buying VA144's car, so it's already well on it's way with track mods, but doesn't have cup car gearing, etc. At the end of the day if the car can get to 2:04-05 on regular and consistant basis I'll be happy.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Vic's car? (va122)

No reason why you can't get to a 204-205 on a consistent basis once you learn the car and get it setup properly for your driving style, etc.

I have no idea what is/isn't allowed in "TTS" to run on the car.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Oops, correct, Vic's car. Messed up the numbers.

Basically, anything is allowed as long as you stay within power to weight of 8.7 to 1. You do take a penalty for running slicks, but seeing how I'm unlikely to get to the max without gutting the car (which I don't want to do) I may try running Hoosier slicks (they have a nice contigency for time trials).
Old 01-03-2011, 11:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Is it based on the hp from a dyno or the published hp? If from a dyno, I'm assuming the GT3 dynos in the 325-350 range?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Correct. Actual dyno. Take a penalty for slicks of 0.75. So at 340 hp you have run minimum weight of 3213.

Quick Reply: GT3 Competitiveness in TTS with NASA