Sponsored by:

GT3 Competitiveness in TTS with NASA

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I know Tom very well. He's a good friend of mine as well.
Dell, Tom is a friend of mine who I haven't seen in some time. Almost since he first got his GT3. Is he ever on Rennlist? I'll PM you my e-mail. If you bump into him I'd greatly appreciate it if you could pass it on? Thanks!

-KJ
Old 01-11-2011, 12:16 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrok
I won TTS in the Great Lakes region (mid-ohio) in 2008 and 2009 in a pretty stock 6GT3 but it was only because of scoring points all season. I could not compete with the C5/C6 Vettes at any track. The Vettes always seemed to have lots of problems so I came in 2nd and 3rd alot and always scored points. I always seemed to be a couple seconds behind the Vettes. I'm sure a better driver could get closer to them but they have torque and tires that are hard to deal with. They would run 295F/335R A6's with huge wings and just sail by me. They just stick like glue. Plus Danny Popp is not human, I'm convinced he is an alien.
Yeah. Oddly enough I'm getting rid of my C5Z for this car, but you can't compare my stock car to those things. I've seen the build sheets on some of the faster ST2 cars and they are getting close to a well built GT3.

Point is I'm not looking to win it, otherwise I would've bought DRM ST2 car that recently sold for just a tad over 30 grand. Just wanted to see if I'll be in the ballpark and reasonably competitive. I feel like the answer is yes.

For the record, Danny said he feels certain that he can run a 1:57 at VIR full this year. I can't see a GT3 doing the same even completely done up. Cup cars are just tad faster than that.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 188 Posts

Where is 4porsch in all this? He's tearing up the West Coast tracks in Dell's 6 GT3. Lots of fun turning 1:37's at Laguna in a "street car" on R compounds.

Good times
Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

Mr Gordon runs 1:35s there in basically the same class. So it's similar situation as our east coast tracks.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 AM
jrok
Racer

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Yeah. Oddly enough I'm getting rid of my C5Z for this car, but you can't compare my stock car to those things. I've seen the build sheets on some of the faster ST2 cars and they are getting close to a well built GT3.

Point is I'm not looking to win it, otherwise I would've bought DRM ST2 car that recently sold for just a tad over 30 grand. Just wanted to see if I'll be in the ballpark and reasonably competitive. I feel like the answer is yes.

For the record, Danny said he feels certain that he can run a 1:57 at VIR full this year. I can't see a GT3 doing the same even completely done up. Cup cars are just tad faster than that.
Oh don't get me wrong, I had the time of my life driving against those guys, there are many pictures of 6-8 Vettes all lined up at the front of the grid with my GT3 sitting in third. I could beat most of them on any given day, but I could not beat the good guys that knew how set them up and drive them.

There is a practical reason why C6R's and RSR's were in different classes -- until they restricted the Vettes to make it more equal. The same situation exists in TTS. A really good driver in a TTA Vette could beat half the field in TTS. I was the TT Director for 3 years and on paper it looked closer, but with the torque, tires and aero of the Vettes, it became a mighty task for a mortal. I did win in the rain alot though.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

You're right. Our local TTA guys are wicked.

New ticket in TTS/ST2 for Corvettes is to build a monster of an engine and than tune it down to be at 8.7 to 1 on power, however their torque is out of this world since it's not measured and is essentially unlimited.

None of that matters though. I've been looking forward to getting one of these for a long time and want to enjoy it. Maybe when the time is right I'll get something different or the rules will change.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wally cracked 2min this weekend...

http://www.vimeo.com/20208440
Old 02-23-2011, 09:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Good god that camera angle about made me throw up.

Any info on the car, etc?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM
ace996
Instructor

C5Z06, I believe a ST2/TTS car...well under 400rwhp. Uses aero to his advantage...slower down straight but can plant the right foot where others cannot.
A6 HoHos sized 315 all around.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:06 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

I don't know Wally's exact suspension setup, but I know he worked on it for awhile. His hp is under 400, but torque is actually over. Built transmission with trick gearing. Etc. His car is well put together.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
I don't know Wally's exact suspension setup, but I know he worked on it for awhile. His hp is under 400, but torque is actually over. Built transmission with trick gearing. Etc. His car is well put together.
Yep good car and driver. No longer has leaf springs so double A arms and if memory serves me double adj konis.

I also run TTS in my 3rd gen Rx7 and lets just say I'm no threat to Wally
Old 02-24-2011, 02:37 PM
ace996
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Yep good car and driver. No longer has leaf springs so double A arms and if memory serves me double adj konis.
Even stock, there's double A arms, but the coilover conversion from the leaf springs is the hot ticket for most.

I'm currently running an '01 Z06 (480rwhp) and can't seem to shake the 6GT3 infection...difficult change to rationalize, but rational is something I've never really been accused of being...
Still trying to fight this but I'm starting to gas out and the round is far from over...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Ace - try not to drive one. I did and now got rid of my 04 C5Z in favor of 6GT3. It is awesome!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996
Even stock, there's double A arms, but the coilover conversion from the leaf springs is the hot ticket for most.

I'm currently running an '01 Z06 (480rwhp) and can't seem to shake the 6GT3 infection...difficult change to rationalize, but rational is something I've never really been accused of being...
Still trying to fight this but I'm starting to gas out and the round is far from over...
Clearly I don't have a clue about corvette susp hehe.

However if you like the sensation of driving then it's hard to like corvettes but if you want to go really fast it's hard to ignore them.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:28 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Jerry,

What times are you running at Mid-O? I assume without the chicane...

Quick Reply: GT3 Competitiveness in TTS with NASA