Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire choices.. PS-2 vs. NT-01 (or any other R-compound)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:40 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Oh yes....bad in wet....by all means then you don't want them. Did I mention I have data from my Nittos with about 40 heat cycles on them and I pulled 1.25g in a corner? Not a single-frame peak value either. Not bad for a cheap "introductory" R-comp. Yeah, you don't want them.
I got caught in rain/thunderstorms 2 weeks in a row on these tires... While they are a little skittish, they weren't scary by any means driving through the pouring rain, maybe i'm just a nut case though (use to burn the tires off my M5 and then go into winter without changing them LOL)

I am starting to love these tires as they wear down... 2 weekends at Monticello, they are getting faster and faster, grip is pretty consistent but yea i'm still over driving them since i'm use to slicks or r6's, but really not bad for the price and for an r compound you can use on the street AT ALL.. Highly recommended
Old 08-05-2010, 03:22 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
I stopped worrying about G-points since newer studies proved they don't actually exist

John
lol! Look harder.

Originally Posted by iLLM3
I got caught in rain/thunderstorms 2 weeks in a row on these tires... While they are a little skittish, they weren't scary by any means driving through the pouring rain, maybe i'm just a nut case though (use to burn the tires off my M5 and then go into winter without changing them LOL)

I am starting to love these tires as they wear down... 2 weekends at Monticello, they are getting faster and faster, grip is pretty consistent but yea i'm still over driving them since i'm use to slicks or r6's, but really not bad for the price and for an r compound you can use on the street AT ALL.. Highly recommended
Yeah, I think you're at least part nut case.

I've used the R6 before so I know where you're coming from. First day using the R6 it really showed how dead my shocks are. My car was floating over dips at the track like a boat going over another boat's wake. This is less pronounced with the Nittos because these tires lose grip in those cases. Hard braking is another case where the R6 would just grip and hold on....the Nitto chirps several times as I slow down.

....aside from excessive road noise driving to the track on them (when they still have tread left) and not near the grip of R6, they are a fantastic tire.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 PM
CT03911
Banned

I drove NT-01's a few days ago on a two day at Monticello, first experience with them. I am accustomed to MPSC's and haven't gone to Hoosiers.
I was looking for a cheaper alternative to MPSC.
Day one, not the first few sessions like I read here- ALL day one, they were crazy slippery. I really thought I made a $1000 mistake. Pressures right on 36/38 hot (cold for me next time on an average warm summer day would be 37f/36r)
Day two these tires were completely different. Night and day.
I had high grip levels and while they would slide more than MPSC it was very progressive and invited driving at the edge.
I had a blast on them, felt very comfortable and quick and without a doubt was able to refine my car control as never before on MPSC's. On the Cups when they let go you better fix it right now and they do not invite oversteer exploration for me.
The Nitto's allowed me to comfortably and repeatably drive on the edge and feel and play with the car more.
Gotta tell you, I really like them.
Just glad I survived day one breaking them in. That was ugly.
We'll see about wear, how my alignment goes and so forth. Even if I decide for some of these reasons to return to MPSC's I will be a better driver for having Nitto's on now.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I tried Nt-05 for street/rain and they were pretty good. They would take the beating and then some. Driving in the rain was getting fun. NT-01 is also a great tire that communicate and forgive. It wouldn't of been the end of the world if you had moved directly to NT-01, nothing like the MPSC.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.. I will try the NT-01 next time.. for now, I got the AD-08.. getting them mounted tomorrow.. !

Quick Reply: Tire choices.. PS-2 vs. NT-01 (or any other R-compound)