Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire choices.. PS-2 vs. NT-01 (or any other R-compound)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The Nitto, while it is an R-comp is one of the most forgiving as it talks more than most R-comps. However, with your experience (and I am just speculating since I haven't sat right seat with you) would be to stay on PS2's. Until you feel you are maximizing the PS2, which is a phenomenal track tire and probably the best of the high perf street tires. Moving to the Nitto will give you more grip and thus mask any deficiencies you have that would have been highlighted with the PS2. It all depends on how much you want to learn the car. I was very methodical moving from PS2, to Nitto, to Hoosier, to Slicks. I can honestly say that I learned EVERYTHING about the physics of the car and the slip angle of each successive tire because I didn't let myself move to the next step until I felt I maximized the limit and felt I learned everything I needed to learn to be CONFIDENT at the next step.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the tires you will be purchasing will be dual purpose, street and track, then I would definitely go for PS2. Otherwise, they are an expensive tire to learn on IMO (~$1500 + s/h.+ inst) Sport Cups are even cheaper!

Matching GT3 Tire Sets

A cheaper street tire that I have heard decent things about is the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (~$672 + s/h.+ inst)

This will likely be my next set of street-only tires. In my mind, I ask myself, why drop $1500+ for pretty much weekend only, street driving? I certainly don't need them to be quiet or comfy , just reasonable grip. I'll be saving my money (and brownie points) for replacement NT01s

Just another pricing option to consider.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:22 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

It is only "dual purpose" as I will be driving to the DE / autox.. but I do not use the car much other than that. So I don't know if it is considered dual purpose.

I agree w/ you regarding the expenses. That's definitely a factor. However, my issue is that by going to NT-01, would it be less ideal for someone who's still progressing? That's my main concern. You know, like you got to learn to feel the car moving around, etc, etc. (?)

If by going into MPSC or NT-01, it wouldn't be bad for someone who's getting started in tracking.. then for sure I'd go that route, as it is cheaper and have better grip.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:50 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by cfjan
...my issue is that by going to NT-01, would it be less ideal for someone who's still progressing? That's my main concern. You know, like you got to learn to feel the car moving around, etc, etc......
I'll be driving on my NT01s to the track but the distance is relatively short and slow driving, but I know what you are saying. I had to make the same decision recently. I'll defer to those who are instructors, but I think Dell nailed it here:

Until you feel you are maximizing the PS2, which is a phenomenal track tire and probably the best of the high perf street tires. Moving to the Nitto will give you more grip and thus mask any deficiencies you have that would have been highlighted with the PS2. It all depends on how much you want to learn the car.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:19 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I would say stay on street tires at you level. I love NT-01s.
How about street NT-05s?
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Rcomps don't squeal. So once u pass limits......
This is true. I run MPSC (R-Comps) for track days, and have even wear with aggressive camber settings as it is a track-only car. At a high speed track, I get 3-4 days of tread out of the tires. At $1300+ for 4 tires at Tire Rack, DEs are very expensive.

I'd recommend the PS2 route per Dell's suggestion. The audible squeal of aggressive street tires will help you learn the "feel" of the edge much quicker... And it is feel that will guide you through R-Comps and Slicks when you advance...

My $0.02,
-Blake
Old 07-20-2010, 07:13 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 188 Posts

You must be talking about the squeal a cat makes just as the coyote grabs it. I think if I had it to do all over again I would have gone NT01 from the start. The car comes from the factory with MPSC which is probably stickier than the NT01 but heat cycles out before you can wear them out (early on until you can drive on the limit)

Anyhow, the NT05 is middle ground.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the feedback.. sounds like most agree that it is better to stick w/ street tires for now.. the NT-05 sure is a bit cheaper.. !! I might give that a try since people seems to have a lot of positive things to say about the NT-01.. the AD-08 is also cheaper by a bit compared to the PS-2 as well.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with what dell says, but i nearly killed myself on those things as I exceeded their limits and they kept breaking loose at exactly the wrong time. You sound like you're not there yet. Get another set of street tires and when you're done with them move up to an R-Comp. I used street tires for my first year or so...

PS2s are very expensive for how long they'll hold up on the track. I would try the AD008s they are a good compromise. I have no experience with the NT-05 but per Nitto they are a good compromise and hold up on the track. I personally use the nitto NT-o1 and grew into them. They will squeal when you're at their limit before they break loose, so you will indeed learn on them. But it's your choice.

The thing with tires that you have to consider is that with more tire grip the car does more of the work and not the driver, so you'll have to learn on streets to anticipate a slide since it will happen. I know you're not looking for that last 2sec and you want a safe tire to learn.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

I see you are in MA, as is this poster. Something to check into if you *do* decide to go R comps. I don’t know what Yellow is; we don’t have that group in our region. Is that still a student group? I think in general it is frowned upon, but there are no specific rules governing it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...een-group.html
Old 07-20-2010, 02:36 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

In our region, it goes like: Green (instructor required), Yellow (instructor required), Yellow Solo, White, Black, Red (instructor)

I am currently in Yellow instructed group.. so only the 2nd group from the bottom.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Aren't the Advan AD-08's a bit more sticky than the PS2's? I believe a tread rating of 180 for the AD08's compared to 220 of the PS2's. I'm wondering how the advan's would perform on the street. I've driven on Dunlop Direzza star specs and they have very good grip when hot, but don't make sizes for our cars.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Tread rating for NT-05 is 200. So it is right in between..
Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What about grip characteristics when hot on the track and cold on the street when comparing AD08, NT05 and PS2?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:38 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

I would have to leave that to the more experienced folks here.. I have only been on the PS-2.. and am thinking about trying the NT-05.. and then move on to NT-01 next year.. at least, that's the plan..

Quick Reply: Tire choices.. PS-2 vs. NT-01 (or any other R-compound)