Sponsored by:

OK guys... no doubt you will hear about this

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 AM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK guys... no doubt you will hear about this

It was posted on the Pistonheads forum in the UK but the link was deleted due to the Name and Shame policy it has... the last Month has been a bit of a nightmare for me http://996ttstevo.blogspot.com/
Old 06-01-2009, 03:10 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks -- good luck getting it sorted out
Old 06-01-2009, 03:40 PM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Reads like quite a nightmare for Fearnsport too!
Old 06-01-2009, 04:28 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Eh, this is why I always kept hearing that switching from auto to manual is a crazy thing to do on a modern car. I couldn't even read the whole thing.

Note to self: If anyone suggests converting from an automatic to manual gearbox on any ECU equipped car yell at that person and start calling them names. Nothing good will come of that.

Selling the car and buying a manual version is the proper way to do it. If no manual version of the car exists consider another car.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

GT3 -- problem solved :-)
Old 06-02-2009, 03:19 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Having read all this I am in complete agreement with the poster above - this was a plan bound to be costly and fraught with risks - so why bother?
For the cash involved in changing major components and control wiring/hydraulics you could have an upgrade to another car with all the required attributes and none of the risks.

As a satisfied customer of Fearnsport and friend of many other very satisfied customers I take exception to someone embarking on this plan and then whineing when it inevitably goes wrong and takes longer than "planned" and then blames anyone but themselves for that.

Even the other suppliers of components chosen by the OP are hardly the most reliable sources and pose their own risks to completion on time and within budget.

Fearnsport have an enviable, rightly earned and well respected reputation for excellence in their work and customer relationships.

Pistonheads use a No naming and shaming policy which stops this appearing - probably because they felt it was unfair to allow situations like this to damage perfectly respectable suppliers.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:23 AM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Reasons for converting from Tip to Manual

a: The car was way beyond the point of return regarding mods etc.
b: To get the best from the car manual is the way to go
c: The box that was in it had a fair few track miles on it and was due a fresh.

Stevo... your mate Andy at Fearnsport actually convinced me to change the transmission... I am sure I have the text message for that also! All I ever asked was that the car was completed on time for the Oulton RS Day (6th March)... I had a cast iron guarantee from him as the previous year my car taken 4 Months to do... They messed up bigtime (you know it and they know it) how do you explain the text messages from Matt... he actually agrees they messed up... don't know why all of a sudden I am the bad one.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:06 PM
GuyR
Racer

Sorry, but to me it reads like you asked for a pointless, complicated conversion and then expected it to be treated like an oil change. You admit to failing to supply the parts for 3-4 months then moan at the overall timescales and also moan about an ecu supplier outside of their control yet name the whole site against Fearnsport? Why?

I have always used Fearnsport and they've done great work, of course sometimes when the work is complex custom work the schedules don't run to plan, but thats the same for most people out there.

Also publishing private texts is pretty bad form IMHO.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Guy... I know you are very very close mates with Andy

1: At the time I never asked Andy for the conversion, he phoned me the end of last year as he was fairly quiet at the time and I can clearly remember him asking "How about we get on with this conversion the" (we had talked about it the year before)... Yes, I could have turned round and said No to it, but Andy agreed and also agreed to have the car ready for Oulton.

2: What are you on about... there was only 2/3 week delay on the Transmission as Andy managed to get his hands on one I then managed to also get one around the same time... the only thing that was late after this was a Pedal Box and a Dash display (Dash Display arrived 1st week in Feb and the Pedal Box a week after)... how is that 3-4 months when my car was there from 2 weeks before Christmas (I make that 2 Months and 2-3 weeks)... there was no issues with these arriving later anyway as the Engine and Transmission could have been done... It wasn't even touched, infact it wasn't out the bloody car at that point.

3: Matt's very good friend Adam had the ECU since the 3rd of March... do you want me to post this text also? And if Fearnsport supply ECU tuning it's their responsibility to get it right... yes there might be hiccups along the way but there was more than adequate time tio get this sorted out... ffs I have Todd at Protomotive sorting it out now... it only takes him 3 days and that includes him sending me a new ECU.

4: The texts were published to prove my point... if I had gone on the forums without the ammo I would have been hung out to dry and no one would have believed me.

Listen I have now had well over 30 text and emails combined showing me some form of support... I don't really care if people use them or not... I do believe they will do a great job here or there, but they dicked me around bigtime Guy... sorry mate just read these texts again.

BTW what about Robs 996 Turbo a few years ago that went burnt to a shell? I take it was his fault aswell, even though Fearnsports insurance paid out.

Oh and I have had 2 very interesting emails from ex working colleagues of Andy when at Weltmeister (seperate emails) and trust me, it ain't good reading.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Oh can I also add... I have never once started any insults or personal attacks on Matt/Andy or anyone else for that matter... you and your buddies decided to do that on a forum today.

I'm a *****
Old 06-02-2009, 06:11 PM
GuyR
Racer

Steve,

I've suffered in the past badly at the hands of tuners when doing Skylines, so I know what the issues are and have great sympathy for you. Thats why when I tuned my car I went to Ruf as they sold me a complete warrantied package and turned it around in the time agreed.

I cannot pretend to know the details of your scenario, but what is clear is that after your post suddenly the thread on some forums has become a 'hang-em, burn-em' mob and all I tried to do (perhaps badly) was add a little balance.

The wider audience here need to know that Fearnsport have a large number of very satisfied customers and that also IMHO a conversion like this is always going to be fraught with difficulties and time delays.

As for the other attacks, they ain't mine and I think the thread you are referring to on the 'private forum' has now been removed.

I just hope that you get it sorted out.

regards

Guy
Old 06-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Darragh
Track Day

If even half of those points about FS are true it is a disgrace to be honest.

Whatever happened to customer is king and all that?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:24 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Guy... I will be honest... ITS JOBS FOR THE BOYS!

Like many others I run a business too (5 staff) if they were to behave in this manner their feet wouldn't touch the ground and that's honest. Guy I have always liked you mate and as mentioned nothing personal against you or anyone else, but after reading (TBH) silly, childish, abusive posts pointed at me on another forum it was a bit out of order.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 AM
GuyR
Racer

Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
..... but after reading (TBH) silly, childish, abusive posts pointed at me on another forum it was a bit out of order.
Sorry Steve, but I don't recall making any like that (although obviously some are in disagreement about the complexity etc of the project).

I have seen some posts that were abusive, but they were posted by others. I've tried to re-look at them, but the threads have been deleted.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 AM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Quick Reply: OK guys... no doubt you will hear about this