Sponsored by:

GT3 Lightweight Weight Reduction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ dont look at bmi. if u are in your ideal BMI, it really just means you have no muscle at all,
martin, u seen me
my BMI is in the obese category
my doctor couldn't stop laughing.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:01 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

If Mooty is "Obese" then I need to get a job in a side show as a "Porker". I am 6'2", Godzilla sized "thunder" thighs and calfs, weigh 222 and I am clinically obese, BMI of 29.3, but not morbidly obese, now that's encouraging. I would have to get to about 185 to get to a "normal" (Non-Obese) BMI of 24.9. Last time I weighed I85 was senior year of college, not a good college, but college. The chart contained within the URL referred to below, tells me if I cut my calories from present weight maintenance of 3,036 cals per day, down to 1,103 cals per day, I could get to 185 in 80 days from today's date, 5/31/18, around mid-August.

I will have to admit, having recently dropped from 252, that losing 30 Lbs was a lot cheaper than adding CF parts, light weight wheels and Titanium lug nuts. The "secret?" Just consume more calories than you take in. Check out www.supertracker.gov/bwp/index.html It's a great web site that shows you how to calculate your present BMI, and lets you see what it will take re. reduced calories to get to their definition of an ideal body weight and BMI. The web site assumes adding 7,000 calories over your present intake, you'll gain a pound, and cutting out the same # you'll lose a lb. Previous conventional wisdom used 3,500 cals a lb. That works in the laboratory, but not in the real world.

When you look at the cost to go from a set of stock 6GT3 wheels, weighing about 110 lbs front and rear, to a set of 3 piece BBS E88 wheels weighing about 80 Lbs a set, a delta of 30 Lbs, you'll be paying over $4,000 to save this weight. Much cheaper to diet off 30 lbs....the biggest bang for the buck is to go ahead and buy the BBS wheels as a reward for losing 30 lbs, now you have saved 60 lbs, reduced the car's C.G. somewhat with a leaner driver and lower weight wheels that spin up faster and stop quicker.

Lastly, when the Porsche Owners Club, a CA Racing Club, calculates a driver's weight, they use 180 lbs. Hmmm, what are they saying here to us chunky types?
Old 05-31-2018, 10:15 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

Out of interest, can anyone recommend a reliable Li battery? My 6 cup runs a heavy battery which is reliable but why not save 40 lbs if I can.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:39 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Voltphreaks has worked very well for us on all customers' cars.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:26 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Don't mean to be a jerk, but I don't really see the point here. If you ware doing this to get a 'faster' car, then spend some money with a proper driving coach, OTOH, if you just want a light car...

Ray
Old 06-13-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
Don't mean to be a jerk, but I don't really see the point here. If you ware doing this to get a 'faster' car, then spend some money with a proper driving coach, OTOH, if you just want a light car...

Ray
you're making assumptions that we haven't already gone the coaching route :-) ...though I would agree most haven't.

I enjoy constantly tinkering with my car...but honestly I think I've added more weight than I've removed in the last couple of years and just added the carbon hood to offset the rest of the added weight.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:58 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Andy,

I am not really making that assumption, and I agree that most have not taken advantage of coaching. Perhaps I am jealous of those folks whose cars are stable enough to just tinker around, I, for one, want the tinkering to stop so I can drive it :-) So if this is just for the challenge, I could see that.

Ray
Old 06-13-2018, 04:05 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
Hey Andy,

I am not really making that assumption, and I agree that most have not taken advantage of coaching. Perhaps I am jealous of those folks whose cars are stable enough to just tinker around, I, for one, want the tinkering to stop so I can drive it :-) So if this is just for the challenge, I could see that.

Ray
Ha..., if it makes you feel any better, mine is on a lift right now waiting on me to have the time to pull the transmission out to figure out what I broke at my last track day!!! Hope yours comes back together soon and is better than ever
Old 06-13-2018, 05:02 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wow, I hope it is nothing big, we can take this offline, but I have rebuilt my tranny 2x and if you have any questions just ask.Currently am knee deep in rebuilding the motor.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:20 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I have had good luck with Lithium Pro batteries and have used them in a few customer cars.

In my car I moved the battery from where it is, to my trunk floor and then reduced it to a 5 lbs battery.

Like Andy, I like to tinker. This change definitely made the car go better and handle/point better, no question about it.

Quick Reply: GT3 Lightweight Weight Reduction Thread