Sponsored by:

Body in White's 996 GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 02:16 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Body in White's 996 GT3 Journal

This October I bought an incredibly clean 1-owner 19K mile 6GT3 with PCCBs & some carbon interior bits. The car had an RS wing, GT3 Euro bucket and a tequipment roll bar added at the dealer soon after arrival. It is set up for track duty, but only attended a handful of days and was driven cautiously (~130 range 1 over revs). This car spent its entire life very well cared for.

I found a look for 911s that really resonates with me, and I’ve been fortunate enough to order most of the cars in my collection from new to get the specific CXX options to achieve that look. I’m also a big fan of “OEM+” cars, so I thought I’d try something new and document my journey taking this car from 95% to 99% (and selfishly hope I can draw off the wisdom in this forum along the way while adding some content.)

First things, first… the car needs a deep cleaning, decon, compound, and polishing to prep it for PPF and ceramic coating. I started in November and leisurely worked through pieces each Saturday.

The tires had 2005 date codes on them, so I pulled the wheels and sent them to be refinished in gloss black with a silver stripe around the edge (like the XD9 wheel option). While the wheels were off, I pulled the wheel liners and cleaned years of road debris with a high-pressure steamer. It works great to force dirt out of small tight areas, like brake calipers.

Then I moved to the rear bumper, pulled the taillights and bumper to clean the years of dirt that hides back there. I also cleaned up the exhaust with “Ospho” a mild phosphoric acid + steel wool — good stuff, but wear gloves and don’t get it on your paint or any aluminum parts.

While the bumper was off, I compounded out all the road debris marks to clean it up.

All of my cars are white and have black mirrors. I can’t tell you the amount of fighting I’ve had to do with Porsche to get them to CXX paint the mirrors black from the factory. They always do it, but not without a whole big back and forth. Since I missed the boat on the 6GT3 when it was new, I gotta fix the side mirror situation. New mirror caps were back-ordered in October, so I got a pair from a local salvage yard and had them painted.

When removing my stock white mirror caps, I noticed they have a foam seal at the lower edge, presumably to keep water ingress at a minimum. The seal was missing from the mirror caps I just had painted, so I fashioned a new seal out of adhesive-backed foam and installed them.

Remove the stock white mirror caps and installed the newly painted black ones, then wet sanded them with 2000 grit, then 3000 grit sandpaper to remove the remaining bit of “orange peel” in the new paint.

Compounded the sanding marks out with a microfiber cutting pad & Jescar Compound, then polished with a Rupes white finishing pad & Sonax Perfect Finish. Done. Ready for PPF.

The wheels came back from refinishing with a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. They came out great. I always buy new tires when refinishing wheels, because you know who is not going to **** up your new wheels when installing tires? That’s right, the people that just refinished them. Brand new black OEM lugs from Porsche always look like they’ve been in a rock tumbler, so I splurged on a set of titanium lugs in black from Acer Racing. They are beautiful and completely overkill. I ceramic coated the wheels, calipers, and lugs (why not?) in 2 coats of Carpro DLUX and 1 coat of Carpro Gliss.

Up next was a decontamination wash, cleaned all the rubber seals then 2 stage paint correction with Ropes yellow pad + Jescar Compound then final polish with Rupes white pad + Sonax Perfect Finish. The original paint was in great condition given its age and a few track days. The original owner told me he used temporary track wrap on the front bumper for the handful of track days he attended. There are a few tiny rock chips in the front that I’ll deal with just before PPF. I spent a good portion of time on the lower rocker panels as it curves underneath the car, removing old rubber and road debris — I used an old microfiber cutting pad + compound on a Rupes DA polisher to mow the crap down. It worked like a charm, then polished out the panel. Done. Now the car is waiting for the PPF guys to fit me in, in January.

Next up, removing the cage, 6-point harness, etc. and refreshing some of the interior…
The following 16 users liked this post by Body In White:
brontosaurus (12-22-2021), caiseya (12-22-2021), Capt. Obvious (01-03-2022), craina (12-21-2021), engerman (12-22-2021), jfl503 (12-22-2021), lcrain (12-22-2021), LimeyBoy (12-22-2021), Marv (12-21-2021), masti99 (12-31-2021), plpete84 (12-22-2021), RedTele (12-21-2021), Rootwitch (12-21-2021), tgavem (12-21-2021), The Duke (12-22-2021), Turbo Racer (02-15-2022) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

04-20-2022, 11:54 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

The last thing I had to do on this car was pin the coolant lines. I dropped it off at SharkWerks a couple weeks ago and had them, replace all the rubber hoses, pin the coolant lines, replaced the expansion tank, thermostat, water pump, fuel filter & upgrade the LSD with a Guard unit.

I picked up the car today (‘saw @smceo ’s beautiful white 7.1 RS waiting for it’s pinning — what an incredible stance with those JRZs).

All the parts that came off the car looked to be in decent shape, but on a 17 year old car the preventative maintenance is well worth the peace of mind. I was on the fence about upgrading the LSD in this car given the 19K miles on the odometer. How worn could the LSD actually be? I was wrong. I immediately noticed the difference on hard acceleration out of a corner. In fact, I feel so good about the work @sharkster, James and Dan @ SharkWerks did that I’m starting to think about a good time to take my 997.2 GT3 in for the same work + coolant line pinning.

Now there is literally nothing left to do to this car, all my maintenance items are up to date, paint looks fantastic and I’ve got fresh rubber… I guess I’ll just drive the hell out of it! See you all as I rip through the Santa Cruz Mountains! 👋
Old 12-21-2021, 03:00 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

Wow! Great looking car.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:26 PM
keynes
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice. Great car to begin with, now you're taking it to the next level. Keep us posted!
Old 12-21-2021, 03:43 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,480 Likes on 1,833 Posts

If u want to sell the rs wing so u can fo back to stock, lmk. Im on the look out for a used one before i buy one from Getty in the spring.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:32 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Wow unbelievable. 130 range 1s? That’s unheard of. You wouldn’t think the back accents would work when you hear it but the finished product is outstanding!
Old 12-21-2021, 05:01 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 589 Posts

You have done an absolutely amazing job with your new car!!!

Now, please do my car next.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:39 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 381 Posts

My new favorite thread! I love it when I see owners with means who don't mind getting their hands dirty! I derive immense amounts of satisfaction wrenching/detailing/cleaning/improving my cars. Its hard to explain, but I see you may be a kindred spirit in that regard! The car looks stellar. Easily my favorite white 6-3 I've seen. Everything just works together so well while not being over-the-top. I'd be interested to hear how you like the drive of the 996. My experience is well documented...I prefer them to the 997.1 3.6's and feel they hold their own very well in terms of excitement and fun even when compared to the 3.8 7.2's! They just feel so small and nimble and scoot around just enough when pushing it!
Old 12-21-2021, 08:18 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keynes
Very nice. Great car to begin with, now you're taking it to the next level. Keep us posted!
Will do. There is a lot more in store!

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
If u want to sell the rs wing so u can fo back to stock, lmk. Im on the look out for a used one before i buy one from Getty in the spring.
I'm definitely keeping the RS wing. That plus the euro GT3 seats are 2 of the "OEM+" mods I would have done if the car didn't come that way.

Originally Posted by spiller
Wow unbelievable. 130 range 1s? That’s unheard of. You wouldn’t think the back accents would work when you hear it but the finished product is outstanding!
I know, right? I was astonished when I hooked up my PIWIS to verify.

Originally Posted by Marv
You have done an absolutely amazing job with your new car!!!

Now, please do my car next.
Mooty keeps threatening to drop his Orange 992 GT3 off for spa treatment while we both wait for the PPF guy in Jan. Thankfully I have no room!

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
My new favorite thread! I love it when I see owners with means who don't mind getting their hands dirty! I derive immense amounts of satisfaction wrenching/detailing/cleaning/improving my cars. Its hard to explain, but I see you may be a kindred spirit in that regard! The car looks stellar. Easily my favorite white 6-3 I've seen. Everything just works together so well while not being over-the-top. I'd be interested to hear how you like the drive of the 996. My experience is well documented...I prefer them to the 997.1 3.6's and feel they hold their own very well in terms of excitement and fun even when compared to the 3.8 7.2's! They just feel so small and nimble and scoot around just enough when pushing it!
Thanks for the kind words, we are in fact kindred spirits! I've really enjoyed your posts sorting out your GR car.

997.2 GT3 is still #1 for me. The power, ascetics, and rawness are all about perfect. It feels special every time I drive the car -- the only other car that did that for me was my 430 Scuderia.
991.2 GT3 is a video game. Fast as hell, but not that emotional.

I'm still forming my opinion on the 996 GT3, it's raw (already had a few "moments" that have engendered some healthy respect in the car from me), and Porsche was clearly lying about the power output. I'm looking forward to taking a few more drives with the new tires to see how close it will get to the 997.2 for me.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:00 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comparison! Yup, I can’t see myself ever selling my scud for that reason!
Old 12-22-2021, 10:31 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Beautiful car, made even better by the work you've done!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:24 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 352 Posts

Oh man, this is the good content.

Welcome and thanks for taking the time to post this!
Old 12-22-2021, 12:47 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,843 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Body In White
Porsche was clearly lying about the power output.
Congrats and a beautiful example. If you haven't yet, Chris Harris had a great podcast with Andreas Preuninger talking about the entire GT car program and admits that those 996 GT3s had reported modest numbers to what the engines actually produced.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:22 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

One recommendation I just noticed. You need a cup front lip to balance the extra downforce of the rear rs wing. Should help stabilize things ALOT! They are NLA from porsche but there is a vendor currently working up the molds for a reproduction unit.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:26 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,867 Likes on 1,527 Posts

You are definitely the kind of guy I like to buy a car from...
Seriously though, nice job, looks gorgeous.

...cleaned years of road debris with a high-pressure steamer...
Can you elaborate on what you used for this? It's the only tool/technique you used that I'm not familiar with. If you used it for brake calipers, i'm assuming something less aggressive than something like a big hotsy power washer?

Last edited by pfbz; 12-22-2021 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
engerman (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 08:29 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
Oh man, this is the good content.

Welcome and thanks for taking the time to post this!
👍

Originally Posted by plpete84
Congrats and a beautiful example. If you haven't yet, Chris Harris had a great podcast with Andreas Preuninger talking about the entire GT car program and admits that those 996 GT3s had reported modest numbers to what the engines actually produced.
Thanks for the recommendation -- I listened to it today. 'Funny to hear AP admit they sandbagged the power number, I guess that confirms my butt-dyno.

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
One recommendation I just noticed. You need a cup front lip to balance the extra downforce of the rear rs wing. Should help stabilize things ALOT! They are NLA from porsche but there is a vendor currently working up the molds for a reproduction unit.
I actually got a brand new 996 cup spoiler all bubbled wrapped from the original owner in the sale, but it's painted body color -- which isn't going to work for me. Out of curiosity, where do you feel the difference? Over or under 70MPH?

Originally Posted by pfbz
You are definitely the kind of guy I like to buy a car from...
Can you elaborate on what you used for this? It's the only tool/technique you used that I'm not familiar with. If you used it for brake calipers, i'm assuming something less aggressive than something like a big hotsy power washer?
That's exactly right... it's acts like a mini scalding hot pressure washer. The heat and pressure combined are effective enough to remove dirt, grease, tar, etc. without chemicals. A minimal amount of water is left over compared to a traditional high volume pressure washer that you'd use on the exterior of the car (most of the water evaporates away). It's also really effective for interiors to clean skin oils out of Alcantara arm rests or seat belts.

Here's one other use... I had some staining in a PCCB rotor hats on my 997 GT3 from god-knows-what-chemical. Nothing would get it out, not even mechanical abrasion. As a last ditch effort, the steamer worked.

Stained Aluminum Rotor Hat:

High Pressure Steamer:

After:

The following 2 users liked this post by Body In White:
caiseya (12-23-2021), plpete84 (12-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Body in White's 996 GT3 Journal