Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body in White's 996 GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 11:06 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Really beautiful. Is that a commercial steam cleaner or commonly available one? Also, how do you handle rock chips?
Old 12-23-2021, 12:31 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 381 Posts

I would also love to know the brand/model of your steam cleaner!

As for the unbalanced feeling, definitely feel it at higher speeds without the cup lip, and I don’t even have the rs wing (just the stock blade with the shims that increase the angle and downforce of the wing). I’m guessing with the rs wing and a non-cup front lip, the “wiggly” feeling at speed would be even more pronounced. If you are feeling instability at lower speeds, I would bet that you are due for an LSD rebuild. The stock unit does not last long and causes instability, especially upon hard braking.
The following users liked this post:
TopPorscheFan (04-05-2022)
Old 12-23-2021, 01:33 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you a professional detailing business or just because? 👍
Old 12-23-2021, 04:48 AM
caiseya
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
One recommendation I just noticed. You need a cup front lip to balance the extra downforce of the rear rs wing. Should help stabilize things ALOT! They are NLA from porsche but there is a vendor currently working up the molds for a reproduction unit.
I just managed to get on in the UK from a guy who had one in his garage!,

The following 2 users liked this post by caiseya:
Marv (12-23-2021), sub-zero (12-24-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 09:59 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Great car. Good job documenting the changes. I may be the only one - but I preferred the look before you made the changes. To each his own!
Old 12-23-2021, 09:10 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
Really beautiful. Is that a commercial steam cleaner or commonly available one? Also, how do you handle rock chips?
The steam cleaner is a Vapor Systems VX5000 — It’s a “prosumer” grade. https://www.detailing.com/store/vapo...m-cleaner.html

Originally Posted by wilfred
Are you a professional detailing business or just because? 👍
Not a business, just a guy with some cars that likes to do this to relax.

Originally Posted by 177mph
Great car. Good job documenting the changes. I may be the only one - but I preferred the look before you made the changes. To each his own!
That’s the best part of going the “OEM+“ route, everything can be put back rather quickly. 😁
Old 12-23-2021, 09:38 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

While the front headlights are out for car the detail, I decided to proactively replace the 16 year old Xenon bulbs in each headlight. I believe our cars came with 4300K bulbs from the factory and I decided replaced them with 5000K bulbs. Since they were out on my work top, I hooked up a 12V source to Pin #11 and ground to Pin #12 after asking here on RL and then confirming with the wiring diagram I found in the PIWIS.

Frankly, there wasn’t much of a difference — or at least not one that I could see staring into bright lights. Maybe it will be more noticeable from the other side, but that will have to wait until the car is back together.

The following users liked this post:
sub-zero (12-24-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 12:32 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Body In White
Not a business, just a guy with some cars that likes to do this to relax.
that's awesome 👍👍👍 I remember back in the days where I would wax a car 2-3 times just because it wasn't smooth enough...
Old 12-26-2021, 11:23 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Amazing work - really enjoying watching your progress. Enjoy the car.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:57 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Right before I tackled the exterior, I took stock of the interior making note of any pieces that were worn or damaged (sills, *****, controls, etc.) so I could make a large-ish order knowing the wait time would be significant given some of the parts would need to come from Germany. Boy was I right… but more on that later.

This car will see plenty of mountain roads but not track time, so I removed the roll bar, 6 point harnesses, and the fire extinguisher. Everything was sold to RL’ers. The Euro GT3 seats will go back in, they are fantastic seats.

I knew the rear seat well carpet had a hole put in each side for the tequipment roll bar to bolt into, so I had already proactively ordered a new one (which of course had to ship from Germany).

From the few install videos I watched, I knew that the lower sill bracket under the carpet would have been modified to get the lower leg of the roll bar to bolt in correctly. I had assumed when the roll bar was installed that the carpet was pulled back and the bracket neatly trimmed — nope. It seems the installer went with the “crush it” technique, which caused the sharp broken plastic to cut the floor carpet. Cool 😑. Had I caught that initially, I would have ordered a new floor carpet.

While I was at the salvage yard picking up mirror caps, I also had them pull unmodified sill brackets ($50 for the pair vs. $420 new!) I failed to catch at the time that the brackets for a Cabriolet are shorter, which forced another trip back to the salvage yard to swap them for the right brackets. Hopefully, that will help someone else in the future.

‘Itching to get some of these projects done between Christmas and New Year, I had the Parts Dept. split my order into 2 and ship what they had to me, which included the rear seat well carpet (thankfully!). I asked about availability for the floor carpet and was told none are available in the US, and wouldn’t be available from Germany until the end of February at the earliest. Cool 😑. I guess that will have to be a project for later this year.

I got the brackets installed and the carpet back in place, but I know it’s going to bother me that the carpet is cut behind the seat.

Part order 1 (of 2) was delivered yesterday. I removed the center console, so I could remove the seat well carpet.

Curiously, the workshop manual says the shift **** should pull off. I tried. It just wouldn’t pull straight off. I learned long ago, that if something seems too hard on a Porsche that I must be doing it wrong. I lifted up the shifter boot trim to find a welded set screw at the bottom of the carbon fiber shift ****. A 3mm allen socket loosened the set screw, and the **** came straight off. I suspect the set screw is unique to the CF shift ****?

With the console out, I removed the seat well carpet. Though, after watching some roll bar install videos, I discovered that there are supposed to be plastic shanks in the holes under the carpet. @enthusiast , @gt3racerich & @Marv helped me demystify the shank and I ordered a bag of them from McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/90221A422/)

With the old carpet out of the car, I compared it to the new carpet. The color is nearly the same (even though it doesn’t look so in the photo), but the new seat well carpet is slightly more “plush”, and fibers are slightly closer together. It may be an age difference, an updated manufacturing process, or both. You can’t notice a difference if you’re more than 3 ft away, but it does make me want to replace the floor carpeting now.

Installed the new seat well carpet and decided to pause here so I can tackle another interior project over the new few days. More to come…

The following 8 users liked this post by Body In White:
brontosaurus (12-30-2021), dukmon (12-31-2021), gt3racerich (01-01-2022), JJT (12-30-2021), plpete84 (01-07-2022), Sirenty (12-30-2021), The Duke (12-31-2021), ttdan (12-30-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-30-2021, 09:36 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Have you weight the carpet? I may be wrong on this but I think the GT3 has lighter, therefore less plush, carpet. Along with thinner windows...
Old 12-31-2021, 08:29 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
Have you weight the carpet? I may be wrong on this but I think the GT3 has lighter, therefore less plush, carpet. Along with thinner windows...
Yes, the GT3 carpet is thinner and lighter than a stock Carrera.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:28 AM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

The seat well carpet I ordered is the a GT3 specific part number (996-551-021-91-A10). Both pieces felt similar in weight.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:38 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 589 Posts

Just lifted the skirt on my shifter. My 996 GT3 factory carbon fiber shift **** has that same set screw.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:19 AM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Good to know, Marv. It’s a hell of an ugly weld under there, at first glance I didn’t think it was factory.

Quick Reply: Body in White's 996 GT3 Journal