Sponsored by:

List Etiquette reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:43 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Todd... ever consider coming all the way over to the East coast? Summit Point is a great track
Old 04-05-2004, 11:48 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by FSAEracer03
Hey Todd... ever consider coming all the way over to the East coast? Summit Point is a great track
LOL! As much as I like the SP track, no way would that track carry a TQ event. DC guys get tons of cheap track time and they don't need no stinkin' gourmet food.

E. J.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Todd: Any idea yet what pricing will be for the Barber event at Thanksgiving? (I checked your site but no info was posted yet)
Old 04-06-2004, 12:03 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Todd Serota [TracQuest]

Glad to know you'd be interested in a TQ event in Texas. Two down, 48 to go! :-) Which is the more popular track - TMS or TWS? From what I've heard my guess is TWS, but you local guys obviously know best.
IMO TWS is a more fun track but TMS has the location. Depends on what you're looking for... There's www.motorsportranch.com but I think they are booked on private events and I'm a member out there so I definitely don't want to encourage any more private events that I'd have to pay extra for
Old 04-06-2004, 12:09 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Todd, my future in laws are in Texas, so if you're doing an event there maybe I'll come and make it a family weekend!
Can you really rent a suitable racecar at Barber to do the Thanksgiving event? That could be another great family excursion!!
Also if there are enough of us here in LA maybe we could all share a big transporter to get our cars over there?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:10 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Macfly- Have fun at the April event, I'am doing the one in May, look forward to hearing how you like it, and who your instructors are.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by MJones
I'am doing a PDE event next month.. Looking at the Barber schedule there is a POC event 11/6.7 as well as an Alabama PCADE 4/24-25 (sold out) and 11/13,14 but you would have to have a car..As well there are some slots for PDE Masters in July and Sept
Quite simply your running out of options before your event to drive the Barber track, guess you'll just have to wing it.
Good Luck
No problem getting a car. I've run Sebring in a Volvo S60, Mid-Ohio in a Chrysler 300M, Watkins Glen in a Buick Rendezvous and Thunderhill in a base 6 cylinder Ford Mustang, all courtesy of Hertz and Dollar. The November PCA event might work and they might let another instructor in for the April event, which I could probably swing. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by FSAEracer03
Hi Kevin:

E.J. is exactly right. I need to do events at "big deal" tracks in order to draw the PCA people. My events are more expensive because they're a lot smaller, provide a lot more track time and offer "stinkin' gourmet food." Once the PCA folks come they realize that it's more than worth the money (in addition to other niceties like more liberal passing rules in the advanced groups and even more track time as the event thins out and I allow people to run in multiple run groups), but getting them out there is tough. At tracks like Summit, where they can run any time they want with a gazillion PCA regions for no money, I'd take a drubbing.

HOWEVER, I actually have more East Coast events this year than West Coast events - 2 at Watkins Glen in May and October, 2 at Mid-Ohio on Memorial Day and Labor Day and the following Tuesdays, 1 at VIR on the 4th of July Monday and the following Tuesday and 1 at Barber on Thanksgiving weekend. I figure if you're close enough to Summit to get there, you've got to be able to get to at least one of the other East Coast tracks at which I run.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:14 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by macfly
Todd, my future in laws are in Texas, so if you're doing an event there maybe I'll come and make it a family weekend!
Can you really rent a suitable racecar at Barber to do the Thanksgiving event? That could be another great family excursion!!
Also if there are enough of us here in LA maybe we could all share a big transporter to get our cars over there?
Hi Andrew:

I have a great connection in the Atlanta area, which is only about 2 hours from Barber, for track-prepped Porsches. Those in the Atlanta Porsche community know him well - Bob Sanderson at Performance Imports. Both instructors and participants have rented 944's (race suspension, Hoosiers) from him at a very reasonable cost and have been very pleased. I need to let him know about the Barber event, but I'm sure if he's not already committed he'll be there.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:54 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Hi Kevin:

..I actually have more East Coast events this year than West Coast events - 2 at Watkins Glen in May and October, 2 at Mid-Ohio on Memorial Day and Labor Day and the following Tuesdays, 1 at VIR on the 4th of July Monday and the following Tuesday and 1 at Barber on Thanksgiving weekend. I figure if you're close enough to Summit to get there, you've got to be able to get to at least one of the other East Coast tracks at which I run.
Todd... I would love to go to the VIR event, but I have standing plans to head to Ohio for the 4th of July weekend for the 944Fest. Thank you for the offer, I might still try to make it to one of the other events, funds granted, to meet up with you guys and get some "stinkin' gourmet food"
Old 04-07-2004, 04:52 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Todd I only have experience at TWS, as others have indicated it's a fun and fast track with lots of elevation changes (yes we have those in Texas ). As to getting participants, I don't know as we have a tough enough time getting people out to PCA events as it is now. There are a lot of factors, mostly the economy I guess.
p.s. I remember those infamous tire pressure wars too LOL.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by DJ 996
Todd I only have experience at TWS, as others have indicated it's a fun and fast track with lots of elevation changes (yes we have those in Texas ). As to getting participants, I don't know as we have a tough enough time getting people out to PCA events as it is now. There are a lot of factors, mostly the economy I guess.
p.s. I remember those infamous tire pressure wars too LOL.
Yikes! If PCA is having trouble getting people out, at what has to be a much lower price than I would need to charge, that's not a good sign at all. Even with the economy not bring up to snuff for a few years, the population base in Dallas and Houston alone is huge and there are only 2 tracks nearby (AFAIK). I'm really surprised that PCA events aren't full with a waiting list a short time after bring announced.

Another tire war veteran, huh? That was an "interesting" time - like the Chinese curse.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd - PCA TWS events are running around 60% capacity..

Clear benefit to those that attend is the lower loading on the track. Have been rather impressed by the quality of instruction, the discipline demonstrated by drivers, and the professionalism of the organisation. Excellent value for $225/weekend...
Old 04-07-2004, 07:59 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Bill_C4S
Todd - PCA TWS events are running around 60% capacity..

Clear benefit to those that attend is the lower loading on the track. Have been rather impressed by the quality of instruction, the discipline demonstrated by drivers, and the professionalism of the organisation. Excellent value for $225/weekend...
Hi Bill:

That's more bad news for me. $225 for two days is very cheap, even if the events had more people. My events need to be at least $500 for two days. If PCA can only fill up to 60% of capacity, I'm afraid I'd get killed. Just out of curiosity, how many students and instructors constitute 60% of capacity?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:59 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

They have been running around 85 cars lately, give or take, including probably 20-25 instructors. When I started going out there 4-5 years ago DEs were very popular and filled up quickly, now you can send your stuff in late and still get a spot. Like Bill said it's kind of nice with fewer cars/ less traffic but the trend is concerning. My understanding is the instructors get free entry and garage space in return for instruction- which is fine. But, this probably hurts the bottom line as well with fewer cars.
I'm sure the economy is the main culprit but there are probably other reasons as well.

Quick Reply: List Etiquette reviewed