Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts
Default List Etiquette reviewed

Folks -

Lately this board has been informative, amusing and mostly polite.
There have been a few examples of rudeness. Without making a big deal about it I'd encourage all of us to think before we post. Rennlist is the best source of info about our cars. For this reason a number of people tend to react strongly when something incorrect is posted. Keeping things straight is a good idea and one of the values of this place. For example on another Porsche oriented forum there are people who still think that PCCB are a good thing <grin>.

Disinformation can be dealt with politely or, rudely. As a reader, I think that posts that dispell wrong information politely are more effective than harsh ones.

We need to keep in mind that nobody is propagating wrong info on purpose. Responding to them in an insulting way is just that, an insult. making an honest mistake is allowed, even on Rennlist. Correct the error but do it like a gentleman.

Example - Lister A posts about his new titanium ($1,299) shift ****. "My new **** is longer and stronger, I can shift faster than ever before - I took 0.2 seconds off my quarter mile time!"

This brings responses.

WRONG WAY

Lister Belligerent responds like this:

That's bull****! No way can a shift **** make a car faster. You don't know crap about shift ***** and couldn't find you way to the end of a quarter mile without a GPS and road map! You spent a stupid amount of money on that useless widget and now you are trying to justify it by telling us it made your car faster. Worst of all you dumb noob, 911s are not for drag racing - go get yourself a Mustang and sell your Porsche to someone who appreciates them.

RIGHT WAY

Could you please explain how a shift **** makes you car faster? I'm having a hard time understanding your post and without be hard headed about it, I'm skeptical.

Thanks for reading!
Old 04-04-2004, 07:24 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Bob...When people state opinions regarding performance enhancements or the like, they are just opinions...I think it is BS when some people come on and belittle opinions with obnoxious inflammatory remarks...ie My Europipe Exhaust upgrade. If people don't want to spend the money on it fine...Personally, it has been a worthwhile improvement for me...

Once again, thanks for moderating and bringing things back into perspective in general....
Old 04-04-2004, 08:59 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Bob,
Where did you get that shift ****? AS
Old 04-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Alex,

How clever of you to ask. I got it from BS-EV-JF Motorsports and it is guaranteed to improve performance on the track! On *their* dyno, you can see that the shifts are faster. I definitely feel my car respond better - OTOH maybe it's because my wallet is $1,299 lighter!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: List Etiquette reviewed

Originally posted by Bob Rouleau
Folks -

For example on another Porsche oriented forum there are people who still think that PCCB are a good thing <grin>.

[other stuff snipped]

I had to LOL when I read the quoted portion above, Bob. On that very same other Porsche oriented forum, a certain poster who shall remain nameless used YOU (not by name) as a positive example of PCCB. The exact wording of that portion of the post: "can get very $$$$ for heavy track use, altho' one GT2 friend got 9000 track miles from his PCCB rotors with careful care, which is pretty impressive." I'll bet you were real impressed with the replacement cost.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Alex,

How clever of you to ask. I got it from BS-EV-JF Motorsports and it is guaranteed to improve performance on the track! On *their* dyno, you can see that the shifts are faster. I definitely feel my car respond better - OTOH maybe it's because my wallet is $1,299 lighter!
Assuming your wallet isn't on springs, then that would be unsprung weight, explaining why you felt such a huge difference.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:22 AM
dirt tracker
New User

Default Re: Re: List Etiquette reviewed

Originally posted by Todd Serota [TracQuest]
I had to LOL when I read the quoted portion above, Bob. On that very same other Porsche oriented forum, a certain poster who shall remain nameless used YOU (not by name) as a positive example of PCCB. The exact wording of that portion of the post: "can get very $$$$ for heavy track use, altho' one GT2 friend got 9000 track miles from his PCCB rotors with careful care, which is pretty impressive." I'll bet you were real impressed with the replacement cost.
Todd,

we have LOL at this type of comment when you cant even keep your car on the road!!! We found some photos of your recent driving lesson at

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...5&pagenumber=2

Maybe you should get some driving lessons!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Re: Re: List Etiquette reviewed

Originally posted by dirt tracker
Todd,

we have LOL at this type of comment when you cant even keep your car on the road!!! We found some photos of your recent driving lesson at

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...5&pagenumber=2

Maybe you should get some driving lessons!!!!
Hmmmmm. I wonder who "Dirt Tracker" could be. This is allegedly his very first post on a Rennlist forum. Pretty interesting first post.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:32 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Bob,

I totally agree with you...those types of posts are immature and no dout unintelligent. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Todd - I saw the note on 6spd. I sent the poor guy who was ordering a note. I think anyone who pays extra for PCCB now that we know the truth needs help! I figure the resale value of PCCB equipped cars will be bad - who wants a car knowing that there is a $40K brake job in the near future?

On the shifter - it may be the aerodynamics of the shifter not only is it lighter but it has a CD of 0.12 Got to be good for something, right?

Dirt - nice pic of a pranged car. I feel sorry for the owner. Bad luck can happen to anyone. Believe it or not, I once watched Michael Schumacher crash his car right in front of me at the Grand Prix.

Regards,
Old 04-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So Bob - now that you're a moderator, what happens to banned posters who sign up under different aliases just to rake muck? I know that they agree to pay $5000 to Rennlist if they sign up after they've been banned, but that's up to John to enforce in court. Are they allowed to continue to post?
Old 04-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, dirt tracker is an alias for watt.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:47 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Believe it or not, I once watched Michael Schumacher crash his car right in front of me at the Grand Prix.

Regards,
Bob,

I think I was at that race too, if my mind serves me correctly. Canadien Grand Prix...3 to 4 years ago????
Old 04-05-2004, 12:50 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Todd,

That decision is up to John. I am not in favor of banning. I prefer torture - humiliation by Haiku in fact.

I don't know who the guy is. The nature of the post certainly makes me suspicious. It does offend me that the post is on a thread called "list etiquette".
Old 04-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Todd,

That decision is up to John. I am not in favor of banning. I prefer torture - humiliation by Haiku in fact.

I don't know who the guy is. The nature of the post certainly makes me suspicious. It does offend me that the post is on a thread called "list etiquette".
Whoever it is, either he's posting from watt's computer in Malibu or he's sitting on watt's lap.

Quick Reply: List Etiquette reviewed