Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List Etiquette reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 05:04 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think some folks should be out driving one of the great cars ever produced.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:01 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting discussion...

From an outsider's perspective, it appears that 8/10s rule most of us live by when we're on the track with others is not something that is taught at a TracQuest event?

I've been driving at PCA DEs in Colorado since the late 80's and have seen some incidents - but they are usually due to mechanical failure.

Mr. Serota - as someone who is selling your services, I would think that your response would be "this is what happens when you <fill in the cause>". Use this as a learning experience for others, be defensive. From personal experience, I know that bleeding the brakes in Wisconsin is much more important than it is in dry Colorado - running into the gravel pits at the end of Thunder Alley at Road America taught me that.

my $0.02
Old 04-05-2004, 07:39 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Todd,

For what it's worth and the public record, I supported ( and enjoyed) Tracquest in the past, and will continue to do so in the future. It has it's place among the "plethora' of driving events, being one of the better ones. Is it perfect?, no..but it's a work in process and continually improving, and appears to be open to improvements.

As a participant, I will be diligent about the "Instructors" experience and experiences to get the best out of it that I can, in the most comfortable and stress free manner.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by WildWillard
Interesting discussion...

From an outsider's perspective, it appears that 8/10s rule most of us live by when we're on the track with others is not something that is taught at a TracQuest event?

I've been driving at PCA DEs in Colorado since the late 80's and have seen some incidents - but they are usually due to mechanical failure.

Mr. Serota - as someone who is selling your services, I would think that your response would be "this is what happens when you <fill in the cause>". Use this as a learning experience for others, be defensive. From personal experience, I know that bleeding the brakes in Wisconsin is much more important than it is in dry Colorado - running into the gravel pits at the end of Thunder Alley at Road America taught me that.

my $0.02
Hi Willard:

Ordinarily I'd agree with you. Indeed, I've been answering questions and helping people on Rennlist (with everything from tire choice and pressures to suspension choice and set up to track driving tips to opining on legal issues) for almost 6 years, since it's inception. However, there are other things at play here that make it unwise to engage in a public discussion. As I said in a previous post, anyone who wants to discuss it can email me privately.

P.S. - For my "scare the daylights out of me" Road America story, I was sharing a friend's 996 there a few years ago. Coming full throttle out of the Carousel at about 110 mph I lifted for the Kink, but the throttle was stuck full open. Having no choice I went through flat, after which I frantically proceeded to try to unstick the throttle pedal. When that didn't work I turned the ignition off (and back on so I had power steering) and coasted into Canada Corner. Lots of people say they take the Kink flat even though they lift, but I'm one who did, even if it was unintentionally!
Old 04-05-2004, 08:24 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Todd sorry to see what happened to your new car, I hope you didn't sustain any injuries. Are you ever going to bring an event to Texas?
Old 04-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by DJ 996
Todd sorry to see what happened to your new car, I hope you didn't sustain any injuries. Are you ever going to bring an event to Texas?
Thanks, Doug. I'm fine. Cars are a lot easier to fix than people.

Others have asked me about doing a TracQuest event in Texas, at both TWS and TMS. I've considered it, but it's really risky for me to move into a new area. I've lost money the first time at Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta, and those are what I call "big deal" tracks, for which people are usually willing to travel a considerably longer distance. Aside from being able to get a good date, only a few people know about me and TracQuest in Texas, so getting enough paying participants and instructors is tough. Also, because of the nature of my events (smaller, lots more track time, gourmet food), the cost is a good bit higher than PCA and BMWCCA events. Once PCA folks come they love the format and are happy to pay more for what they get, but convincing people to come that first time is really hard. I would need to be confident that I'm going to get at least 40 to 50 paying participants and about 15 to 20 instructors to take the risk. Given that the event would probably cost between $550 and $600 for two days or $325 to $350 for one day, do you think I could easily get that many people?
Old 04-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just now stumbled upon this train wreck. First, EJ's "Twatt" line was very nicely done. Second, I'd sure be interested in a Texas Tracquest event. Third, Todd it is nice to have you posting on Rennlist again. This makes the tire pressure BS look tame!
Old 04-05-2004, 09:19 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Count me as a Tracquest supporter. I have attended many DEs and it was a good one. Even the best do damage sometimes (If it happens over and over, that's another story...).

Roy
Old 04-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Don Magee
I just now stumbled upon this train wreck. First, EJ's "Twatt" line was very nicely done. Second, I'd sure be interested in a Texas Tracquest event. Third, Todd it is nice to have you posting on Rennlist again. This makes the tire pressure BS look tame!
Yikes! You were there for the infamous tire pressure wars, Don (on a different board entirely, for those who weren't there 6 years ago)? Talk about a walk down memory lane! Great to see you on Rennlist. Fyi, I never stopped posting. It's just that I only have time to do 277 things each day and I'm active on the Rennlist 911 and Racing list serves. I used to post on a number of forums but no longer have the time. However, I now feel a sort of "spiritual connection" to this one, so I plan to try to keep up with it.

Glad to know you'd be interested in a TQ event in Texas. Two down, 48 to go! :-) Which is the more popular track - TMS or TWS? From what I've heard my guess is TWS, but you local guys obviously know best.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by RWO
Count me as a Tracquest supporter. I have attended many DEs and it was a good one. Even the best do damage sometimes (If it happens over and over, that's another story...).

Roy
Hey Roy! Great to see you here as well. You probably know this, but in case there is any doubt on anyone's part, the damage to my car occurred in a street accident, not at a TracQuest event. First hand evidence that the track is safer than the street! :-)

As you may know I can't afford to go back to Road Atlanta, much as I love the track, because of the politics. However, if you haven't heard, I'm doing my first event at Barber this year - on Thanksgiving weekend. I'm going to need strong support from the Atlanta area. Spread the word!
Old 04-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
I've heard good reviews about Barber, maybe I'll make the trek...are you transporting your car Todd?
Hi Kim:

I've heard Barber is awesome, which is why I'm sticking my neck out so far. It's the most expensive track at which I'll be running, and you know the kind of tracks at which I hold TQ events.

The only way I'll be transporting my car is if someone goes with a trailer and has an extra spot. I looked into it some time ago and it's about $2500, give or take, to get a car back and forth across the country in an enclosed transporter. Besides, with 17 turns in 2.2 miles and virtually no straights, Barber is one of the most likely tracks in the country where my GT2 wouldn't be faster than a GT3!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:41 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The straights at Barber are good for 115 or so, the esses (kink) 90 or so in a C2, It's really a fun, drivers track. You'll have alot of fun. Going there for the 4th time next month and then on to Road America
Old 04-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by MJones
The straights at Barber are good for 115 or so, the esses (kink) 90 or so in a C2, It's really a fun, drivers track. You'll have alot of fun. Going there for the 4th time next month and then on to Road America
Are you going to the PDE, or to a PCA event? I need to find a PCA event to attend so I can familiarize myself with the track and facilities. I never run a TracQuest event at a track I've never seen. Even if it is a PDE event, if you know of PCA events there, please let me know.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:24 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'am doing a PDE event next month.. Looking at the Barber schedule there is a POC event 11/6.7 as well as an Alabama PCADE 4/24-25 (sold out) and 11/13,14 but you would have to have a car..As well there are some slots for PDE Masters in July and Sept
Quite simply your running out of options before your event to drive the Barber track, guess you'll just have to wing it.
Good Luck
Old 04-05-2004, 11:29 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

MJ, I'm doing PDE Masters in April 27-28, you going to that one??

Quick Reply: List Etiquette reviewed