Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List Etiquette reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 12:57 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I guess it's back to business as usual for the Rennlist GT board...

I'll contribute to the list etiquette post for you Bob and then I'm outta here.

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/searc...ine=netiquette

Many relevant and useful points in there.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:33 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd,

I'm in no one's camp, but there's no use complaining. It was inevitable, and you had mutiple opportunities to manage this data.

Rennlist can't be selective.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:49 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Colm
Todd,

I'm in no one's camp, but there's no use complaining. It was inevitable, and you had mutiple opportunities to manage this data.

Rennlist can't be selective.
This has nothing to do with managing data, Colm. Many people know about the incident, most because I told them privately. This is an entirely different issue. Watt was banned and in violation of Rennlist's rules has fraudulently registered under an alias (the second time he's done so) for the sole purpose of attacking me and causing unrest on Rennlist. This doesn't bother you just a bit?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:13 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I just had a report on "netiquette," how ironic. Todd, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. The mysterious poster was immature and way out of line by posting that photo... but it seems the viscous cycle will continue.

HEY maybe we could convince MTV or Fox to do a reality series on the GT2/GT3 forum "When Porsche owners attack" or "Real World - Rennlist"... it might fly, ya never know!
Old 04-05-2004, 04:34 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by FSAEracer03
I just had a report on "netiquette," how ironic. Todd, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. The mysterious poster was immature and way out of line by posting that photo... but it seems the viscous cycle will continue.

HEY maybe we could convince MTV or Fox to do a reality series on the GT2/GT3 forum "When Porsche owners attack" or "Real World - Rennlist"... it might fly, ya never know!
Thanks, Kevin. The damage actually isn't all that bad - just body panels and suspension pieces - under $25k. The car should be about as good as new before the end of the month. Nothing mysterious about the poster, though. Everyone would know it's Watt even if they weren't aware that the IP addresses match. Fyi, he's posted the picture in every thread he can think of, both here and on 6SpeedOnline, because he's desperately looking for people who care (other than the normal sympathetic response like yours) and can't find any. As if it's news to most of the people on both boards at this point. Otoh, he's once again libeled and disparaged TracQuest (on the other board) and that's a whole different story.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:24 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Todd,

There are many things which bother me; and on these Boards it sometimes the "selective" information provided, or if you like, withheld. Said information, if provided, would or could lead people to different conclusions, and like I said before impact on their financial or physical safety.

I don't think anyone should try and stake out the "high ground" because many times "morality" exists only in the eye of the beholder.

Many months ago I suggested that you and Watt take your personal issues out to the parking lot, and I still think you should do that.

The fact that issue is still continuing is something that you have to take some responsibility for..it takes two to tangle.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Todd,

There are many things which bother me; and on these Boards it sometimes the "selective" information provided, or if you like, withheld. Said information, if provided, would or could lead people to different conclusions, and like I said before impact on their financial or physical safety.

I don't think anyone should try and stake out the "high ground" because many times "morality" exists only in the eye of the beholder.

Many months ago I suggested that you and Watt take your personal issues out to the parking lot, and I still think you should do that.

The fact that issue is still continuing is something that you have to take some responsibility for..it takes two to tangle.
As I told you privately, Colm, a public Internet forum is no place for discussion of an issue like this. I do have trouble understanding, though, how you could simply chalk up to "It takes two to tango" Watt posting pictures of my car with disparaging attacks when I've had nothing to do with him. Before he started posting here under yet another fake moniker (after being banned), on the other board he put up a picture of my car, in a performance driver school thread, with the advice that people shouldn't go to TracQuest events unless they want their cars to look like the picture (which he later edited, I might add, when he realized it's libel per se).

If you want to discuss this further, please call me or send me a private email. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:59 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

The amazing part to me is that twatt can actually keep clients in his real business acting the way he does. Surely an attitude like that is hard to hide, even to your customers?

Colm, why do you continue to believe that you should be privy to moderator and administrator information about this forum? If you don't like the way its run, there are other forums out there.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:12 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Whoaa!!!
Sure seems as if their are quite a few posters in this area with way too big egos and seemingly suffering from "bigdealitus", tis funny what $$ can do to people.

What's the big deal if Todd had an "off". most if not all drivers will experience one now and again, on track it gos with the territory, if it was on a public road that is another question, the big guy is tapping you on the shoulder for a little chitty-chat. It would be interesting to hear the "off" story

Colm- always appreciate your point of view and voice of wisdom.

As preverse as it sounds these threads are really entertaining for me!
Old 04-05-2004, 02:13 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

EJ

I had never considered that I was privy to moderator or administrator information. I didn't even know there was such a thing. Furthermore, I don't even understand the reason for your question.

Todd,

You either post on public forum or you don't. You can't have semi-private status for topics that are not to your convenience, all the while continuing to promote Tracquest.

You and Watt got into it, and now for you to position him as the sole aggressor is not quite factual, and no I don't support his behaviour but it should not be used as an excuse to deflect from from other issues

You then continue to make lenghty "expert" posts and bring added attention to yourself and Tracquest. Since you are a public figure, and a sponsor of safe driving events, on this Board that makes your driving public too, especially since there is a close connection. A non-sponsor and non- poster may be entitled to pricacy on a driving issue but you have ceded that right (IMO).

That there might be Insurance issues, is a spurious argument though I can understand your concerns. But isn't the real issue here to think before you act or "look before you leap"

No sensible person would take joy from what happened to your car, but the example may prevent a few worse occurences and at a minimum increase awareness..not a bad thing in my book. To be forewarned is to be forearmed, and I recognize it's not my business to ask but I wonder how it really happened..but I'll keep on wondering.

I have the view that if this forum is to be successful then all sides of any issue can be explored so long as there are no personal attacks.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

EJ

I had never considered that I was privy to moderator or administrator information. I didn't even know there was such a thing. Furthermore, I don't even understand the reason for your question.

Todd,

You either post on public forum or you don't. You can't have semi-private status for topics that are not to your convenience, all the while continuing to promote Tracquest.

You and Watt got into it, and now for you to position him as the sole aggressor is not quite factual, and no I don't support his behaviour but it should not be used as an excuse to deflect from from other issues

You then continue to make lenghty "expert" posts and bring added attention to yourself and Tracquest. Since you are a public figure, and a sponsor of safe driving events, on this Board that makes your driving public too, especially since there is a close connection. A non-sponsor and non- poster may be entitled to pricacy on a driving issue but you have ceded that right (IMO).

That there might be Insurance issues, is a spurious argument though I can understand your concerns. But isn't the real issue here to think before you act or "look before you leap"

No sensible person would take joy from what happened to your car, but the example may prevent a few worse occurences and at a minimum increase awareness..not a bad thing in my book. To be forewarned is to be forearmed, and I recognize it's not my business to ask but I wonder how it really happened..but I'll keep on wondering.

I have the view that if this forum is to be successful then all sides of any issue can be explored so long as there are no personal attacks.
Again, as I told you privately long ago, Colm, I respectfully disagree with you, and strongly at that. What you're saying is that because I run a driving school at race tracks I have to post publicly every time I'm in an accident on a public road, with every detail. Someone runs a red light and hits me, I'm OBLIGATED to post about it, with all of the details. I get distracted, run a stop sign and hit someone, I'm OBLIGATED to post about it, with every detail. And since I frequent email lists as well as post occasionally on some forums like this one, I'm OBLIGATED to post about it on all of those lists as well.

Think about what you're saying, Colm. I've told numerous people about what happened - privately. If a public discussion ensues because a couple of nasty, malicious people just want to make trouble, then there's not much I can do about it, other than stay out of it. But I sure don't WANT a public discussion about it (as anyone who understands all of the issues wouldn't), so I'm certainly not going to be the one who starts it. As I've said elsewhere, if anyone wants to know the details of what happened, they can send me a private email. I thought about posting that in the beginning, but I figured I'd be deluged with emails and I get over 300 per day as it is. In your case, I told you in detail privately exactly what happened, so I'm not sure what you're wondering about.

Regarding Watt, we did "get into it," but only because he was the sole aggressor. You'll recall that long before the accident, out of nowhere, he posted something on this forum disparaging TracQuest, even though he's never been to an event and knows absolutely nothing about them. I didn't even know about it; several friends emailed me to tell me the post was there. I came in and defended myself. Interestingly, given your present position, you told me privately that I should take the high road and NOT post anything in my own defense because it would fan the flames, but rather I should let my friends defend me. Yet now you're telling me that I was obligated to post about my accident because I'm withholding information if I don't?

In closing, I likewise can't stop you from posting further in this thread, but I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't and rather email or call me with any further comments.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:05 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

If it's somebody sitting on watt's lap, maybe it's the original dirt track racer. I'm in favor of forgiving and forgetting (something I'm often in need of myself) In fact, I'd like to see the original DTR back too.
Talented people often may not be "nice". However, I'll take spicy over vanilla any day.
As far as the "off"- there's never a good time for one. Generally, it's a learning experience. Remember Roberto Guerrero in the parade lap for the Indy 500, only proving it can happen to anyone. While I rarely put 2 wheels off the black part in a race, I have to admit it's happened to me more than once in practice. AS
Old 04-05-2004, 03:11 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Sorry AS. DTR is dead. He sacrificed his life taking watt and hermann with him.

Seems like a pretty good trade to me.

Oh, and I can guarantee you that DTR would never be sitting on watt's lap. I would love to see those two meet someday. Talk about fireworks.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:22 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Todd,

Don't try and tell me what I'm saying, I've already said it. What it means, to you, and to someone else may be different..but then that is the whole point of the forum.

You have an interesting way of recollecting facts to suit your circumstances. Suffice it to say, we disagree, but I have no agenda other than my own obligation to inform myself and make the best possible judgements I can, and I look to this forum for honest unbiased and factual information. Nothing more and nothing less, and I bear you no ill will.

I do not recollect us discussing the specifics of what happened (e.g. "did you lift?"), I recollect discussing the specifics surrounding what happened (e.g. "what was going on at the time?"). I am much less interested in the latter and more in the former.

You have willingly accepted and encouraged the role of "expert" here, as well as your expertize and sponsorship. If you want to split hairs about when it's relevant and not relevant that is your right, but you made yourself a public figure.

Further, you're in the business of selling "driving services" so the issue could be very relevant for some. The motivation to keep it quiet while understandable, is outweighed by the function and purpose of this forum (IMO), and the information could be critical to someone else's decision making process.

With all the facts we can make better judgements, when you live by the sword....

My advice to you to take the "high road" with Watt (and I gave him the same advice because you were both being rude and antagonistic) was the same then as it is now.

I suggested that you post about this because there were numerous hints floating around and that it was going to come out eventually. So why not do some advance "damage control" and get out ahead of the bad news?. Explain that "bad things can happen", show a little humility, admit no liability (for Legal and Insurance purposes) and move on. I think it was sound advice.

You would have gotten everyone's sympathy and we all would have been a little smarter, wiser and cautious. Now it just looks like you're might have been trying to cover something up, out wordsmith everyone, and create new precedents for private and public data.

It is not wise or smart to make public "selective and partial" parts of a private conversation to suit your circumstances or misrepresent my position, I have done you no wrong or injustice. I try to keep all of my private conversations private. You now have the chance to "correct the record".
Old 04-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Todd,

Don't try and tell me what I'm saying, I've already said it. What it means, to you, and to someone else may be different..but then that is the whole point of the forum.

You have an interesting way of recollecting facts to suit your circumstances. Suffice it to say, we disagree, but I have no agenda other than my own obligation to inform myself and make the best possible judgements I can, and I look to this forum for honest unbiased and factual information. Nothing more and nothing less, and I bear you no ill will.

I do not recollect us discussing the specifics of what happened (e.g. "did you lift?"), I recollect discussing the specifics surrounding what happened (e.g. "what was going on at the time?"). I am much less interested in the latter and more in the former.

You have willingly accepted and encouraged the role of "expert" here, as well as your expertize and sponsorship. If you want to split hairs about when it's relevant and not relevant that is your right, but you made yourself a public figure.

Further, you're in the business of selling "driving services" so the issue could be very relevant for some. The motivation to keep it quiet while understandable, is outweighed by the function and purpose of this forum (IMO), and the information could be critical to someone else's decision making process.

With all the facts we can make better judgements, when you live by the sword....

My advice to you to take the "high road" with Watt (and I gave him the same advice because you were both being rude and antagonistic) was the same then as it is now.

I suggested that you post about this because there were numerous hints floating around and that it was going to come out eventually. So why not do some advance "damage control" and get out ahead of the bad news?. Explain that "bad things can happen", show a little humility, admit no liability (for Legal and Insurance purposes) and move on. I think it was sound advice.

You would have gotten everyone's sympathy and we all would have been a little smarter, wiser and cautious. Now it just looks like you're might have been trying to cover something up, out wordsmith everyone, and create new precedents for private and public data.

It is not wise or smart to make public "selective and partial" parts of a private conversation to suit your circumstances or misrepresent my position, I have done you no wrong or injustice. I try to keep all of my private conversations private. You now have the chance to "correct the record".
Colm:

I've been driving on race tracks and instructing for 18 years. This incident doesn't change my ability to drive on a race track or instruct. However, if it causes you to reconsider having me instruct you in the future, that's certainly your prerogative.

I thought we discussed the details during our conversation. If not, then I made a mistake, but there's certainly no intention to misrepresent anything that occurred in our conversation. If you want the details, call me.

This is the last public response I will make.

Quick Reply: List Etiquette reviewed