996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What do you use for engine oil?

Old 07-21-2017, 10:31 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Yeah, but "their word" is purely anecdotal. None have been running race cars with multiple oil types, then logging wear and failure rates. Raby, if anyone, prolly has the only empirical data.
I agree ... seems likely that Jake has spent far more time and money on this than anyone else.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:33 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

And Jake has used Panama Jack and Hawaiian tropic
Old 07-22-2017, 10:03 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,664 Likes on 918 Posts

Who could tell a guy with military style machine gun "No"???

Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

I asked Blackstone if they would either a) run this same analysis on M96 motors or b) send me the data and I'll do it. I'm guessing the answer to both will be "no," but it's worth a shot...
Old 07-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 983 Posts

I see no reason why a company that specializes in testing oil - and presumably has thousands of data point - would not be one of the best sources of data anywhere. Thier data actually correlates to bobistheoilguy.com and other oil manufacturer sites that describe test among different oil with a conclusion that the idea that "all class 5 top oils" will work pretty much equally well.

The other comment I have is with regard to 0-40 Mobil 1. Didn't Porsche list that oil for the 996 from day 1? If yes, hasn't it been 18 years with no change? I'm not saying it's a perfect oil - far from it. But with tens of thousands of 996s running it, and no correlation to IMSB failure or any other engine failures, I cannot see how this oil wouldn't be anything other than "perfectly fine" for most everyone in their 996s.

Of course, many folks don't trust that, and have switched to something else, and yet, we don't see problems with those oils either. Strange? Not if a top oil is a top oil.

How many of us have threads that go into deep detailed comparisons on other Porsche fluids? Most recommend Porsche fluids for Coolant, gearbox/diff, power steering. Yet motor oil has to be so different because we believe it's the lifeblood. As long as you have good, clean oil that's well made - and I believe there are way too many out there that fit the bill - you will be fine for general street use.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:11 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 696 Posts

I have this little sticker on my engine lid. It came from the Porsche factory that way. Since mine was manufactured 7/98 (sold as a 99), it is close to 20 years old. I have 140K miles and daily drive. I run Mobil 1 0-40 with an LN oil filter adapter and magnetic plug. I also use a Mobil 1 oil filter. I change the oil/filter about every 3,000 miles and consume none in between. Guess I'm doing something right.

2013 Porsche Super Cup Car (notice what it says on the front fender)

I have very little inclination, nor desire, to try and outsmart a bunch of Porsche engineers, Porsche testing, or my own experience. Especially at my age. Everybody is free to do what they want and run what they want. Just sharing.....not trying to be definitive.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:31 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Mobil sponsors a lot of race cars and I'm sure they've gathered a lot of data...Surely Porsche has some of that data.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Mobil sponsors a lot of race cars and I'm sure they've gathered a lot of data...Surely Porsche has some of that data.
and some of that sponsorship money?

I know two pro teams that are sponsored by Mobil but do not run that oil in their engines. I'm sure there's more than that .

same goes for Mutul,and I've even taken the oil to that particular shop and witnessed it poured into an engine.

never believe a sticker on a race car. Never

I gave up on trying to convince people what to do. I realized that the best thing for my business is for them to follow their inclinations, and factory directives. Why tell them any different? No reason.

It was at that time when I became selfish and only made directives for the owners of my engines. That's when I realized that those people are the only ones that rate my recommendations. Send me an oil question and it'll get deleted, not replied to.

So yes, today I love some Mobil 1!

B3 Freak, that's not a machine gun. It's a drum fed Saiga-12 shotgun. I have several legally registered class 3 weapons, but that one isn't NFA regulated.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:53 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I had no idea teams sponsored by Mobil don't use Mobil, I learned something new again.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:10 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Crazy to think the Mobil sponsored car doesnt run Mobil oil. Sad, but could be true in today's corrupt corporate culture.

But, my guess is that its top secrete and only a few people on the race team know the truth. Midnight, before race day they do a quickie lube oil change and put in Copper Tone super lube.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:47 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I had no idea teams sponsored by Mobil don't use Mobil, I learned something new again.
Not sure I buy that at all.

Custom racing engines need to endure high rpm and operating temperatures, so they require specially formulated, advanced motor oils. It’s a big reason why Mobil 1 is the Official Motor Oil of NASCAR® and more than half of all NASCAR® teams use Mobil 1 motor oils for proven performance in the most extreme conditions.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-...-oil-of-nascar
Porsche and the Mobil 1™ team formed a partnership based on delivering optimum performance for a truly outstanding driver experience. This partnership has evolved since 1996, spanning four generations of the iconic Porsche 911 and facilitating the introduction of several new models in a variety of car ranges.

This partnership has been extended until 2021, and recently hit its 20-year milestone in 2016. "ExxonMobil is one of our closest and most important cooperation partners, not only in motorsport but also in the development of our production engines, which are filled at the factory with the high-performance lubricant Mobil 1," says Dr. Michael Steiner, Porsche’s Member of the Executive Board - Research and Development. "Over the last 20 years, ExxonMobil has contributed significantly to the good performance of our racing vehicles."

Because Mobil 1 oils are designed to provide exceptional performance and protection in extreme conditions, Porsche recommends the unique formulation for all of their gas-powered models. You can find the right oil for your Porsche with our helpful tool.

Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oil has been the factory fill and recommended service fill for Porsche engines since 1996. Current models include:

Boxster
Cayenne
Cayman
Macan
Panamera
Spyder

Partners in performance

Porsche shares the same commitment to research and advanced technology that goes into Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. And Mobil 1 oils offer the durability, optimum engine efficiency and anti-wear protection that Porsche’s high-performance sports cars require. The Mobil 1 team proudly supports the 900 horsepower Porsche 919 Hybrid in the World Endurance Championship and the 460 horsepower Porsche 911 GT3 Cup in the Porsche Mobil 1™ Supercup.

Since 2007, Mobil 1 has been the title sponsor of the Porsche Mobil 1™ Supercup, the fastest and most prestigious international one-make championship. Nowhere is the incredible success of this technology partnership more visible. Mobil 1 oil is used in every one of the cars on the track, and it can also be found in Porsche-produced, gas-powered engines on the road. This championship epitomizes the union between two world-class companies – in name, philosophy and performance.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-...ecommended-oil
Racing's secret ingredient: Synthetic oils

September 03, 2013, NASCAR.com

Synthetic lubricants play an integral role in racing

Few companies have been involved in motorsports as long as ExxonMobil, the makers of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. The Mobil 1 brand’s history in motorsports officially began in 1978. From that time, the presence of Mobil 1 technology on race tracks and circuits has grown by global proportions.

Today, synthetic oils are the standard for a variety of lubrication needs for teams competing in NASCAR. Down to the molecular level, synthetic oils are specially formulated to withstand extreme temperatures, flow quickly to protect critical car parts and work to maximize efficiency and performance.

With ExxonMobil renewing Mobil 1 as the Official Motor Oil of NASCAR and the Official Lubricant Technology Partner of NASCAR, we’ll detail the development of Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the sport of stock car racing, which is now chosen by more than 50 percent of teams in NASCAR’s top three series.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...ng-nascar.html
Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Full dry sump vs. a strained & out of place wet sump system is a big delta to cross with assumptions. Pros in any discipline will migrate towards what works best, or at least what gets the job done. 2 of the 2 LN certified techs I've worked with have been clear about their preferences, so I use what the most knowledgeable people I know use. To each their own, drive what you want & be happy.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:09 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

So there is this report from Blackstone. I expect there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/News...uly-1-2017.php
Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm gonna weigh in here and suggest that whatever money/ royalties, sponsorships or anything else suggested here paid by Mobil 1 (or anyone else) is not going to be enough money to sway Porsche into risking powertrain warranties, short or long term reliability, or 60+ years of general brand reputation on that kind of business decision. I mean, seriously?...
Old 07-26-2017, 03:42 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

seriously. it's not like a bunch of owners got together and sued Porsche because they were losing motors due to a faulty design and won or anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you use for engine oil?