Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The fear is taking hold

Old 06-15-2017, 11:07 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

I have read a few of the blown engine threads. Many times its a high mileage car with multiple prior owners. I would suspect if you ran a high mile Honda on the track you might find a weak piont or two.

My thought is always this. If I cant afford to replace or rebuild my ride dont take it to the track. I came to this conclusion only after righting off more than one track car.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
I have read a few of the blown engine threads. Many times its a high mileage car with multiple prior owners. I would suspect if you ran a high mile Honda on the track you might find a weak piont or two.

My thought is always this. If I cant afford to replace or rebuild my ride dont take it to the track. I came to this conclusion only after righting off more than one track car.

I agree this is a big reason I am not going back to the track with my new-to-me Porsche until I have installed a deep sump, gone thru the cooling system, and replaced my AOS which tests weak.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:28 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I wonder if the car in the video has a deep sump or not. Would be a bummer to still see such drops even w/ a deep sump, baffles and pickup extension in place.
It can still happen with a deeper sump, baffles and pick up extension. I have all of that on my 996, and it was happening my last time on the track. Just on two turns. Would start about 10-12 minutes into a run session. I'm running Joe Gibbs XP9.

At the time, I had about 800 miles on the oil which is more than they recommend, but over half of it were street miles (I ended up having to drive to a track weekend instead of towing), so I thought I was safe.

I think it may have just been that the oil was at the end of its life. And I got off the track as soon as it started to happen. I'm back out at the track next weekend so I see if the new oil does the trick. If not, I'll drop the pan again and see of maybe some sealant is stuck in the pick-up.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
It can still happen with a deeper sump, baffles and pick up extension. I have all of that on my 996, and it was happening my last time on the track. Just on two turns. Would start about 10-12 minutes into a run session. I'm running Joe Gibbs XP9.

At the time, I had about 800 miles on the oil which is more than they recommend, but over half of it were street miles (I ended up having to drive to a track weekend instead of towing), so I thought I was safe.

I think it may have just been that the oil was at the end of its life. And I got off the track as soon as it started to happen. I'm back out at the track next weekend so I see if the new oil does the trick. If not, I'll drop the pan again and see of maybe some sealant is stuck in the pick-up.
The reason why I doubt your issue was oil age/cleanliness is because I ran brand-new 15-50 Mobil 1 oil at my track event and saw the same pressure drops in long sweeping turns. And the oil that came out of my car prior to this oil change was still clear and had only 1500 miles on it. The oil was still clean, clear, and the filter had zero items in it. Then I drained and replaced it immediately before the track event.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:38 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
The reason why I doubt your issue was oil age/cleanliness is because I ran brand-new 15-50 Mobil 1 oil at my track event and saw the same pressure drops in long sweeping turns. And the oil that came out of my car prior to this oil change was still clear and had only 1500 miles on it. The oil was still clean, clear, and the filter had zero items in it. Then I drained and replaced it immediately before the track event.
I tend to agree with you, but it could still be possible. The XP9 is only rated for 500 track miles. Also, the previous event on the oil was at Shennadoah at Summit Point which has 22 turns vs the 5 turns that were at the Pocono track I was running where it started to happen. Pressures were always between 4-5 on the first track.

Also, the fact that it started after 10 minutes makes me think it could be the older oil reacting to the heat.

We'll see next weekend.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:07 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pick up a dedicated 996 for a track car.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I tend to agree with you, but it could still be possible. The XP9 is only rated for 500 track miles. Also, the previous event on the oil was at Shennadoah at Summit Point which has 22 turns vs the 5 turns that were at the Pocono track I was running where it started to happen. Pressures were always between 4-5 on the first track.

Also, the fact that it started after 10 minutes makes me think it could be the older oil reacting to the heat.

We'll see next weekend.
I'll be there with my boxster (NJMP). I have the Tune RS 2 quart deep sump with horizontal baffle, EBS steel vertical baffle, and full flow filter adapter. I run 15w-50 Mobil 1. Beyond these mods, I'm not sure what else can be done short of a dry sump (that costs more than my boxster) or an accusump, which seems like an *** pain.

Say hi if you see me
Old 06-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'll be there with my boxster (NJMP). I have the Tune RS 2 quart deep sump with horizontal baffle, EBS steel vertical baffle, and full flow filter adapter. I run 15w-50 Mobil 1. Beyond these mods, I'm not sure what else can be done short of a dry sump (that costs more than my boxster) or an accusump, which seems like an *** pain.

Say hi if you see me
Quadcammer, what color car/number, and what run group? I'm the head of safety for RTR, so I'll be the one giving you your tech sticker.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:24 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Having spent a fair amount of time on the track in the past I can say that the last thing I am watching as I concentrate on the correct line, apex, downshift, braking points is the oil pressure gauge. I figure if I can watch that I am driving way too far below the limit. I usually have the habit of doing a gauge check at the start of each straight away run. Deep breath, check gauges, check gear, relax hands/wrists, focus on the braking point at the end of the straight...but at that point the oil pressure drop would be back up and I would not see it.

I also agree w/ above I doubt your oil age had much to do with it. I have always thought synthetics tend to maintain pretty consistent viscosity across temps and mileage (within reason).

So the "money" question is did the deep sump help your oil pressure, or should we not bother to install one b/c the pressure drop occurs either way?

I previously owned a Lotus track only car and I had a special oil sump with all sorts of trap doors around the pickup to keep oil around the pickup under high G turns....does anyone make a similar sump baffle w/ trap doors for the 996?
Old 06-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Having spent a fair amount of time on the track in the past I can say that the last thing I am watching as I concentrate on the correct line, apex, downshift, braking points is the oil pressure gauge. I figure if I can watch that I am driving way too far below the limit. I usually have the habit of doing a gauge check at the start of each straight away run. Deep breath, check gauges, check gear, relax hands/wrists, focus on the braking point at the end of the straight...but at that point the oil pressure drop would be back up and I would not see it.

I also agree w/ above I doubt your oil age had much to do with it. I have always thought synthetics tend to maintain pretty consistent viscosity across temps and mileage (within reason).

So the "money" question is did the deep sump help your oil pressure, or should we not bother to install one b/c the pressure drop occurs either way?

I previously owned a Lotus track only car and I had a special oil sump with all sorts of trap doors around the pickup to keep oil around the pickup under high G turns....does anyone make a similar sump baffle w/ trap doors for the 996?
I got into the habit of checking the oil pressure and temp ALOT this season since I blew up my motor last season (my fault), and I am keep a very watchful eye on everything since I'm still not sure if I trust the mechanic (me).

To answer the $$$ question, I have always had the deeper sump/baffle since I started tracking this car so I don't know for sure that it helps, but I assume it does. Since solutions can be had for under $250, I think it is cheap insurance. I think even the stock baffle has a flap that acts as a trap for the oil.

These cars are by no means the only ones that have this issue. I had to install a baffle system into my E36 M3 for the same issue, and that is nowhere near as easy to do. Also needed a second fuel pump since in long sweeping right hand turns all of the fuel would go to the left side, and it would be starved for fuel.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

These cars are by no means the only ones that have this issue. I had to install a baffle system into my E36 M3 for the same issue, and that is nowhere near as easy to do. Also needed a second fuel pump since in long sweeping right hand turns all of the fuel would go to the left side, and it would be starved for fuel.

For sure, I had to run a baffled pan, a fuel surge pump, and an accusump on my Lotus track car to keep from getting fuel and oil starve. I read very little about fuel starve issues on the 996 so I guess that's not a typical concern.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Quadcammer, what color car/number, and what run group? I'm the head of safety for RTR, so I'll be the one giving you your tech sticker.
Ah, silver, car number 11. I'm in green.

At shenendoah, I was the one jerryrigging my AOS/catch can arrangement after the smoke show I put on when my AOS gave up.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:43 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

At shenendoah, I was the one jerryrigging my AOS/catch can arrangement after the smoke show I put on when my AOS gave up.
Ahh yes! Home Depot to the rescue! Cool. See you there. I've the red 996 with Aero Wing and the Douche Carrera badge #151.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:24 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Hey, can you post what you did, in case this happens to me at the track?
Old 06-16-2017, 12:43 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Checking gauges on straight away is the only time I will glance at gauges and thats if not in a battle to overtake a car. If you have time to look anywhere else on the track you are driving not racing around the track! At least on a stock 911 with factory dials.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The fear is taking hold