Sponsored by:

The fear is taking hold

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:56 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The fear is taking hold

After just reading mp2day's track day misfortunes, and having read other track day engine tragedies before I'm wondering how many of you have experienced a failure on the track, and what caused it. I'm hoping to do a DE event at Blackhawk Farms next week (if the weather plays nice and I can get away from work). But quite honestly, the horrible reads too much on the forums fear is taking hold, and now I know I will have sleepless nights with nightmares of engines exploding on my first DE.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:03 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

You have the deep sump X51 type kit on your car? fresh oil change and clear radiators?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:11 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by B-ran
After just reading mp2day's track day misfortunes, and having read other track day engine tragedies before I'm wondering how many of you have experienced a failure on the track, and what caused it. I'm hoping to do a DE event at Blackhawk Farms next week (if the weather plays nice and I can get away from work). But quite honestly, the horrible reads too much on the forums fear is taking hold, and now I know I will have sleepless nights with nightmares of engines exploding on my first DE.
Good comment by Chris(MA). Most of the track failures I have seen are due to:

1. Smashing into immovable objects (by far the most common mode of failure).

2. Oil starvation. If it's your first event, you won't be skilled enough to generate high Gs for long periods, so not really and issue.

3. Overheating. If you aren't running in the desert with bad rads, you should be fine.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:56 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Get the deep sump before you venture on a track. And then have a plan to learn the track and the car. You've got the rest of your life to enjoy doing this so don't try to do it all at the first event. Take advantage of the instruction. Give yourself rev limits...start with something easy like 5000 rpm for the first half of the first day. Then raise it to 5500 for the second half. If it is a two day event, go to 6000 and then 6500 on day two. If it is a one day event then find a way to brake the increments into four periods. Work on feeling the car, listening to the engine, work on your down shift and learning the line. Ignore your speedometer and only think of rpms and gears. Don't think about passing people, instead work on following the instructors and learning their lines. As you come out of every turn and onto a straight, glance at your oil pressure, your engine temp, then wiggle your fingers (to get rid of the death grip) and your toes, and your *** in the seat. Get the blood circulating and breath. Enjoy.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:13 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Get the deep sump before you venture on a track.
Don't agree, until you get better. Not a bad suggestion though.

And then have a plan to learn the track and the car.
Agree.

You've got the rest of your life to enjoy doing this so don't try to do it all at the first event.
Agree

Take advantage of the instruction.
Agree

Give yourself rev limits...start with something easy like 5000 rpm for the first half of the first day. Then raise it to 5500 for the second half. If it is a two day event, go to 6000 and then 6500 on day two. If it is a one day event then find a way to brake the increments into four periods.
Don't agree.

Work on feeling the car, listening to the engine, work on your down shift and learning the line.
Agree

Ignore your speedometer and only think of rpms and gears. Don't think about passing people, instead work on following the instructors and learning their lines.
Agree

As you come out of every turn and onto a straight, glance at your oil pressure, your engine temp, then wiggle your fingers (to get rid of the death grip) and your toes, and your *** in the seat. Get the blood circulating and breath.
Good suggestion.

Enjoy.
Agree!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:36 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I feel ya B-ran. Took my C2 to one HPDE right after buying it. Had a great time, but don't have the stomach to get it back out again. Not ideal, but workable given all the fun roads around here.

What I've read on the subject suggests:

- use a good oil to give you the best shot of having healthy lubrication even at high temps (XP-9)
- low temp thermostat can help keep temps down. 3rd rad kit also helps
- deep sump is a plus as stated, though I'm not sure how much more pressure you get in high G situations. Last time I took the 996 on a proper mountain loop I noticed some sharp oil pressure drop offs while chirping around the switchbacks. I made a point to go easy on it coming out of those turns & things returned to normal away from the super tight sections.
- if you watch Vandersmith's track videos, you'll probably notice he is very easy on the drivetrain. I'm not sure what rpm he shifts at, but it's obvious he has put a lot of thought into his process. Not only that, he's put a lot of days out of his C4S on the track. Maybe drop a PM for him or raise the question in his thread chronicling his 996 track days. I've seen other references to lowering the rev limit on track to eliminate unnecessarily high oil temps. Maybe some of the guys that have gone down that road can elaborate.

Bottom line for me when hooning about is to focus on temps & pressure. If they don't look good, I back off.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:00 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Just so you know, I experienced oil pressure drops at Blackhawk last year with street tires (and they are DWS'!) on the back sweeper. 5 or 6 laps into the session, going around the sweeper it would drop to 2.5 bar or so.....and I decided not to run any longer.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:20 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Have fun at Blackhawk and don't worry. Then, if you still want to track a car, get a Miata or something else that you will have fun with and still be able to sleep at night.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:38 AM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, if you really want to rest easy about oil pressure, get a 2 qt Accusump (No affiliation) and call it a day.

Other option is stay off the track and stick to the back roads. (my choice)
Disclaimer - Backroads ARE more dangerous than track. Speeds are lower than the track, but if you get your line or braking wrong, it won't end well. Tracks don't have trees, guardrails and vehicles going the other way.

Last edited by dgi 07; 06-13-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Avoid $$$ shift and your car will survive the day.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:12 AM
mp2day
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Good comment by Chris(MA). Most of the track failures I have seen are due to:

1. Smashing into immovable objects (by far the most common mode of failure).

2. Oil starvation. If it's your first event, you won't be skilled enough to generate high Gs for long periods, so not really and issue.

3. Overheating. If you aren't running in the desert with bad rads, you should be fine.
So I'm a total noob to this stuff, but yeah ^ this. Rod bolt failure at your first DE is probably SO uncommon. If it helps at all, I'm still really glad I DE'd the car (if you haven't then you have yet to really experience your car) and I'm far from financially in a position where a failure was no big deal for me. It was a huge deal. I financed a 14 year old Porsche (still making payments) and I spent about 5 months figuring out how I was going to pay for the repair that cost more than the car. STILL, no regrets. Could catastrophic failure happen at a DE...? Sure. It could also just have easily happened to me taking the on ramp and trying to get to highway speed. I plan to DE again as soon as I can (thus the reason I chose full rebuild vs say RND crate - more control over the internals).

Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist. Maybe my career choice has taught me you can't live your life in fear of the unknown and what you cannot control. But go DE your car as much as you want.

Be smart - change the oil after DE events. Maybe do oil analysis (I'm thinking about that). Change your brake fluid at least once a season and use one with a high wet boiling point like SRF. Consider what you can do to prevent oil starvation when you start getting good (I'm a long way out). Get to know the PCA folks who regularly track their cars and talk to them about what makes sense. Even ask them for help on routine maintenance if you want to do it yourself. One of the best pieces of advice I got from PCA folks when my engine blew was "Go talk to that guy Travis over there - he's a genius mechanic with these cars" - he was ultimately the guy I chose to do my rebuild. If you're not mechanic enough to do your own work, use your resources to find someone who is. I picked a guy who builds cars for endurance races for a reason - if you build cars to handle 8 or 24hrs of track pounding, you can probably build a reliable DE car Read a lot (Rennlist anyone?) but be prepared to sift for the gems amongst the dirt. Don't let negatives get you down... these cars are not about negatives. Enjoy your car!
Old 06-13-2017, 10:17 AM
mp2day
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
IMHO, if you really want to rest easy about oil pressure, get a 2 qt Accusump (No affiliation) and call it a day.

Other option is stay off the track and stick to the back roads. (my choice)
Disclaimer - Backroads may/ may not be more dangerous than track. Speeds are lower than the track, but if you get your line or braking wrong, it won't end well. Tracks don't have trees, guardrails and vehicles going the other way.
I chose the 1/2 qt sump add with the X51 style baffle... ground clearance could be an issue. And IMHO, track is MUCH safer than backroads! Track - you've got a coach who knows the track AND your car... you've got a really REALLY good road surface... you've got no surprises coming the other way in your line at a corner... and you're just as likely to have a mechanical failure off track as on under similar circumstances but with many less resources at hand (I had a pro mechanic and a tow truck within minutes, a tow to a shop, and a ride home)
Old 06-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

I blew my car up on the track. Rod Bolt stretched. It was 100% my fault. Shifted from 4th to 1st while doing 100.

I have been tracking cars for 8 years. Started in a Miata, two e36 M3s and now the 996. Blew the car up at the last event of the season last year. The car had 117K miles on it and was a very well maintained track/daily driver for the previous 10 years before I bought it. Pretty much bone stock other than a FVD deep oil pan/baffle and exhaust. Original IMS, clutch and flywheel.

I know that if I had not blown it up, it would still be going. In the off season, I purchased a salvaged 911, and did the transplant.

This is not to scare you, but things can and do go bad on the track. If you cannot stomach a large expense due to a failure, wall, or other issue, I suggest starting in something cheaper, and work your way up to the 911.

I think I spent the same amount of money on all of the little things I replaced on the new 911 motor as I spent buying my Miata. I hope to always have a track car, but I will never have a track car that will make me feel pain if something goes wrong. Yes it sucked blowing up the motor, but it did not hurt (other than my pride).

I've seen too many people go out on the track with a $50K+ car that they still have a loan, and either blow it up, or crash it without insurance. That's not a chance I am willing to take, and it's my advice for others to avoid a situation like that too.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:02 AM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mp2day
....... track is MUCH safer than backroads!

Adjusted my statement
Old 06-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
I've seen too many people go out on the track with a $50K+ car that they still have a loan, and either blow it up, or crash it without insurance. That's not a chance I am willing to take, and it's my advice for others to avoid a situation like that too.

Well stated...as a former owner of a track-only car myself I can attest you should never take anything to the track that you are not prepared to walk away from. If you go 4 off and hit something your insurance will not cover you, no matter how much you tell them it was not "racing". If you hit something on the street at least they would cover you.

While doing a PCA DE day (or similar) your risk is probably pretty low, anything can happen like a missed shift and such. A missed shift, or oil starvation, or other mechanical stuff could happen off or on track and your insurance would not help you there either way.

Quick Reply: The fear is taking hold