Sponsored by:

The fear is taking hold

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM
mp2day
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by B-ran
...and then I went to find a beer. I told the bartender to give me something good and local, and Sculpin was the one he gave me. So it being my first beer in San Diego, it kind of stayed my favorite for a couple of years.
I first found Sculpin at the other side of the country on tap at a bar downtown in Athens, GA. I intended to try a variety of beers that night but once I tried the Sculpin, I couldn't make myself change to something different (and probably not nearly as good). It isn't my fav IPA or fav Ballast Point beverage, but it sure is a worthy beer.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by B-ran
Plating, awesome video! That track looks like a ton of fun! Thanks for sharing! You mentioned you've done over 100 track events. What sorts of thing have you done to the car in terms of mods? I've heard from others (outside of the inter webs) how the 996 is a great car to take in stock form to the track, beat the snot out of it, pick up some groceries and then drive home. And then from others that proclaim after a few laps of wringing it out the poor thing will give up the ghost like the old tired and poorly designed work horse they claim it is. Even years before I bought my first P car, a Boxster S, I was always under the impression people beat the crap out of them on the track all the time without issues. Only after entering the Porsche world and being introduced to the forums did I come to realize that there were far more issues aside from the good ole IMS bearing.

Whew. Sorry for the super long post. Didn't realize I'd gotten this many replies!
Just got back on this thread, sorry for the late reply. List of relevant mods:
Porsche lowering kit for the C4S (X74)
TPC stage 3 suspension
GT3 lower arms front
Porsche Sport exhaust installed aftermarket, wired open all the time.
Fabspeed 200 cell sport cats. The OEM cats don't last long on track.
Porsche Tequipment roll bar.
Porsche Recaro racing buckets.
Ferrodo Racing pads.
No mechanical issues to date at 63,000 miles. Drive it on the highways to and from the track. Still use it for groceries once in a while

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Ok, I've listened to Palting's YT video about 5x now while working. Anyone know his exhaust setup?

Because racecar
See above, plus had the microphone on the rear license plate

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Am I seeing the oil pressure gauge drop to about 2 during some of the corners in your vid?
Never really noticed that until you mentioned it. It's a stock sump, car is on R compound DOT tires, plus the suspension mods and racing brake pad, making the car generate significant G forces on braking and corners. Car has maybe 30,000 track miles on it, with no issues, so I don't know if that brief drop to 2 barr means anything. Maybe it would on the long curved banks of, say, Daytona. I certainly would not recommend slicks with the M96 engine, though. For the OP, his first time on track, it should not be an issue at all.

Last edited by Palting; 06-20-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:36 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Good stuff, thanks for sharing
Old 06-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Palting, just to be clear I understand this, you have done 30,000 track miles in your 996, no oil mods, and have oil pressure drops in the turns and seemingly no known damage, issues, or rebuilds?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:16 PM
moburki
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Also (Palting) stock AOS?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Palting, just to be clear I understand this, you have done 30,000 track miles in your 996, no oil mods, and have oil pressure drops in the turns and seemingly no known damage, issues, or rebuilds?
Originally Posted by moburki
Also (Palting) stock AOS?
Yes to both, although guessing on the 30,000 miles. Car has 63,000 miles now, and I'd guess about half of that is track miles.

When I first got on the forum back in 2002, lots of 996 owners were tracking their cars with no specific mods. Stock, as-is. And that went on for at least 5-6 years. After being out of these forums the last several years, when I came back a few weeks ago I was quite surprised by all the posts about using a different oil, modified AOS, etc, etc, etc. to make these cars "track worthy". As far as I'm concerned, they were and are track worthy straight out of the box. Not as good as the turbos or the GT3's, but good enough for the average track rat. I actually came back to these boards since I'm looking to get into trading the 2002 C4S for a a 2018 GT3, and looked into the 996 forum out of nostalgia.

Last edited by Palting; 06-20-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:57 PM
mp2day
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
...since I'm looking to get into trading the 2002 C4S for a a 2018 GT3, and looked into the 996 forum out of nostalgia.
Oooooh... drool. The new GT3 looks to be a baaaad MF!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:24 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, but there is a question of when I can get one, mp2day. I held on a little too long to the C4S to be high on the list of priorities for allocation. First priority goes to the gazilionaires that bought the 918, next are those trading in their 997's and even 991.1's. Me and my 15 y.o. C4S that's track car transformed going for trade in for the GT3 doesn't exactly make the dealers drool and put me at the top of the list. So, as per my signature, I've got my fingers, eyes, legs, and ears crossed.

Quick Reply: The fear is taking hold