Sponsored by:

The fear is taking hold

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
Ok, just did a sample policy with Lockton, $24,500 coverage with 10% deductible at HMS = $180 for one day event. So in line with what Kris says BUT per day not for 3 days how I see it.

Kris you sure you were covered for all 3 days of your event?
Yes, I believe it is the same price if you do 1 day, or 3. Below is a screenshot of my cart (all of this talk reminded me that I needed to buy insurance from my upcoming event).

Old 06-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
That is true. Insurance is for a crash only. I do not know of a company that covers for any sort of mechanical. Now, if a tire blowing causes a crash, you would be covered.
Lol, reminds me of a tax loophole that once existed (it may still exist) allowing a person to deduct the value of a diamond ring that was lost due to an accident that caused the ring to fly off during said accident.

Still, the track insurance might be worth it even though it's expensive. For those tracking weekly, it's different. But just a few events per year seems like a no-brainer
Old 06-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

That is true. Insurance is for a crash only. I do not know of a company that covers for any sort of mechanical. Now, if a tire blowing causes a crash, you would be covered.
So, in other words, if you money-shift or see massive smoke coming out, immediately head towards a wall.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Lol, reminds me of a tax loophole that once existed (it may still exist) allowing a person to deduct the value of a diamond ring that was lost due to an accident that caused the ring to fly off during said accident.

Still, the track insurance might be worth it even though it's expensive. For those tracking weekly, it's different. But just a few events per year seems like a no-brainer
Yeah. I do about 7 events a year. So it is about $1,200. I became an instructor at about the same time as I started to get insurance. My entry fees were cut in half as an instructor, so the insurance is pretty much a wash.

I never got insurance for my miata ($2500) or my M3s ($8K), but it makes sense to me to do it for the 911.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cuda911
So, in other words, if you money-shift or see massive smoke coming out, immediately head towards a wall.
LOL. I wrote this exact thing when I originally wrote the post, but deleted it. I didn't want to give an insurance company any ammo for denying a claim....
Old 06-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
rightttttt
Old 06-13-2017, 03:31 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Yes, I believe it is the same price if you do 1 day, or 3. Below is a screenshot of my cart (all of this talk reminded me that I needed to buy insurance from my upcoming event).

Kris, looks like you have the start date but not the end date on that quote. Meaning the quote is only for June 23 not the 24 or 25th. I only did a quote for one day if you have 3 day event you should double check amigo. I cant believe they insure for 175 over 3 days, just doesn't add up?
Old 06-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

So OP have we confused you enough??? Are you gonna drive that 911 or what?
Old 06-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Kris, looks like you have the start date but not the end date on that quote. Meaning the quote is only for June 23 not the 24 or 25th. I only did a quote for one day if you have 3 day event you should double check amigo. I cant believe they insure for 175 over 3 days, just doesn't add up?
Hardback, take a look within the blue rectangle where it says HPDE Insurance in the center of the page, with the full three days quoted. Also, on the final confirmation it has all three days. Below is a screenshot of my past policies. Notice how they are all for 3 days.

Last edited by Kris Murphy; 06-13-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Your right. That's incredible.... I just went thru the application again for 2 days at Sebring and you are right $180.

Finally affordable HPDE insurance. This changes things. More seat time in my future for sure.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:13 PM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually purchased the same policy for track night in America event this Thursday at CMP. I asked the question on what's covered and what's not.

I am not affiliate to any insurance company just happened to purchase this for a event and asked the question. Please ask the detail when you purchase as things could change and I don't know if the coverage is always the same. Here is what I heard back from lokton:

Regardless who's at fault, this cover only the policy holder's car up to the value quoted minus deductible.

If mechanical failure causes a crash, insurance will cover the crash minus the mechanical damage. if your engine blew and crash into the wall, they will cover the damage of crashing into the wall but not the engine. If the brake fails and you run into the wall, they cover again the damage to the car hitting the wall but not the brake. If other vehicle(s) are involved, they are not covered under this policy.

I guess they will have adjuster to come check out the damage?! How do they determine the brake failed caused the crash or the brake was damaged after hitting the wall. But I figure they have a way to figure things out.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How does the track insurance work if you crash?

Does this get reported to DMV as an accident? Does accident get reported anywhere?
Old 06-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

So OP have we confused you enough??? Are you gonna drive that 911 or what?

LOL. Funny how threads take on a life of their own.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:23 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
You hear about failures, simply because in a forum failures make you want to post something. Majority of the 996's are excellent track cars, particularly for the novice and intermediate. Right out of the box. No mods. OEM oil, sump, etc.

Your fist DE? Just make sure your car is street worthy, all maintenance up to date, buy a helmet, listen to your instructor, and go for it. No fear, no worries, no need to do anything else

I've been doing multiple tracks, more than 100 days on a half dozen tracks, from Mosport to VIR, in my 996 C4S. No reliability issues. Here's one of my vids to get you started:
https://youtu.be/nsCo7nww1dc
well said. Took my stock C2 on HP AS tires to lime rock for a DE event and couldn't even get the tires to chirp. The car has so much ability that I as a novice couldn't get close to. It's really quite amazing considering the age. I got a pass on a couple newer boxsters.
Also these events in my experience are very safe but you have to be prepared to eat the cost of your car in a worst case scenario(or opt for insurance)... I don't know how people in 2015,2016 911s could track em (nice to have deep pockets) hats off to em

great video and fantastic driving 👍🏻👍🏻
Old 06-13-2017, 05:41 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
You hear about failures, simply because in a forum failures make you want to post something. Majority of the 996's are excellent track cars, particularly for the novice and intermediate. Right out of the box. No mods. OEM oil, sump, etc.

Your fist DE? Just make sure your car is street worthy, all maintenance up to date, buy a helmet, listen to your instructor, and go for it. No fear, no worries, no need to do anything else

I've been doing multiple tracks, more than 100 days on a half dozen tracks, from Mosport to VIR, in my 996 C4S. No reliability issues. Here's one of my vids to get you started:
https://youtu.be/nsCo7nww1dc
Dude. I wouldnt thread the wheel through you hands like that. Hook your thumbs on the spokes and use your arms. When you get faster you are going to have to correct for slides which means you have to instantly countersteer very hard. You will never be able to do it by shuffling your hands.

Quick Reply: The fear is taking hold