996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need Advice Please - Sell or Fix 2003 911 IMS failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 11:45 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

So what's wrong with the Vertex rebuilt engine? Basically $9,300 shipped to your mechanic. Figure $3,000 more to have it installed, fluids, etc. $12,000+/- and he's back on the road with probably 3 or 4 years of low maintenance driving ahead. Not cheap, but not exactly catastrophic.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:51 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

What are you capable of doing yourself? Do you have the tools, knowledge, and space to remove and install an engine? If you have to pay to get all the work done, no matter which option you choose, it will be hard to justify the numbers to repair your car.

I agree with Turbodan that the previous owner probably noticed metal particles in the oil filter, changed to oil, and sold it. The dealer you got it from my have purchased it at auction, so he may not have suspected anything was wrong. Then again, he may have known all about it. Since it has been three weeks, it would be difficult to go after him, it think.

The least expensive route would be if you search around for a used engine and are lucky enough to find a good one out of a wreck at a decent price. Remove the old engine yourself and install the new one. Sell the old engine for $1500 or $2000 to recoup some of your expenses. You will probably still be out at least $7000, net.

I feel bad for you. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 AM
otterteeth
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Real post. I appreciate all the advice you guys are giving. Trying to take it all in now, but wanted to throw a quick thanks out so you guys wouldn't think I'm a fake.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:17 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Not much to add...just want to post my moral support.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:30 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you keep an eye out on the forums and main web channels (ebay - LA Dismantler, searchTempest for aggregated Craigslist searches, etc.), you might be able to find a used engine with a good history behind it. I realize it's not ideal, but others have gone that route with good results. Good luck going forward-
Old 06-01-2017, 12:47 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

This sucks.. Someone probably knew the Bearing was failing, after finding debris in a recent oil change.. They traded it in... New buyer gets the car without an invasive PPI, and BOOM! This is exactly why I helped PCA produce the videos that the Just released yesterday.

This plays out all the time these days.

According to the Miles on the car and etc, I have options for your that no one else has.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:03 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by otterteeth
Hello Everyone,

The folks over at the Pelican Parts forums said I should post this here too...

I am in dire need of advice. I bought a 2003 C2 about 3 weeks ago. It has 80k miles and is in good condition. A few days ago the IMS decided to self-destruct. Catastrophic engine failure. The shop says I need to replace the engine. I have yet to make a payment on the car and the dealer will not help out.

I'm devastated. What should I do? Should I try to sell it? If so, where could I sell it and how much can I expect as a fair price? Or, should I keep it and fix it? Should I fix it myself with an ebay rebuilt engine? Like this one: https://goo.gl/Ukcu7e

Thanks in advance for your advice. I truly appreciate it.
Help the forum out.

name of dealership who sold car and name of shop that diagnosed catastrophic failure.

I am sure this is legit...
Old 06-01-2017, 02:03 AM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone is assuming that the rebuilt motor is 9K +/- but what about the core charge of 4K? if the IMS went out then it is most likely that the damage to the motor is to an extent that the core charge will be non-refundable so expect the motor to be in the range of 13K +/-. Am I wrong? Just want the OP to know his realistic options.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:23 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by texcwa
Everyone is assuming that the rebuilt motor is 9K +/- but what about the core charge of 4K? if the IMS went out then it is most likely that the damage to the motor is to an extent that the core charge will be non-refundable so expect the motor to be in the range of 13K +/-. Am I wrong? Just want the OP to know his realistic options.
Good point. You want to clarify that with Vertex. Ask what percent of returned cores qualify for the full $4,000 refund. Please post the answer so we know.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Jake was there an intense oil flush procedure as a very last resort I read that you mentioned once or did I make that up in my head?

From memory I think it was a series of oil changes and procedures to flush the oil several times to attempt to remove the material?

Or is this engine possibly past that point and the fact that a new bearing would be needed and couldn't be installed because of this MOF anyway?

Guess we can never really understand the MOF with an internet diagnosis.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:51 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Sell it as a roller.

These posts help hold down the 996 cars value. 29 modes of failure and counting. Worse car ever. Call your local indy for 10k worth of work and your car will only have 19 modes of failure left.

I dont feel sorry for this guy or anyone else. You buy a used car as is. Risky 996 buys are not a new thing. Its not like this is a fresh story.

If this was a Honda or Toyota I would feel bad for the guy. But come on, a used 996 with 80k on the clock.
Thanks, tips.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:53 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Tips

"sell it as a roller"
Old 06-01-2017, 09:54 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

OP, that sucks, I had something similar happen to me but it was cored cylinders. Bought the car and not even two months later, I am ripping out the engine for a full rebuild.

You have lots of options, unfortunately, they all cost $10k +, and that includes selling the car as a roller.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:22 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Just say-in.

Based on OP posts he's a newbie and taking on a used 80k mi car, IMS failure in first few weeks of ownership, not not clear on what to do, turns to boards for help making simple decision led me to "sell it as a roller".

The decisions on a rebuild are many and the costs are high no matter which direction he takes. The math doesnt work. Sell it take your loss and move on. The horror stories on 996s are many and this story is not new. The only time it may work is when the P car owner can do much of the work himself.

If youre a P guy and have some basic knowledge and cash sure you have options. But this guy post tell us he is in over his head and that limits his options.

Not being harsh just trying to be realistic given the limited data supplied.

That and I am still skeptical of this entire post. Pictures? Names of shop and dealership?

Folks throwing out 10k numbers do realize thats a bare minimum. This is a 15-25k all in rebuild if his shop has confirmed a "catastrophic" failure and a huge undertaking for a guy that appears to be overwhelmed and under capitalized. 80k mi car. Now, while youre in there Clutch, AOS, water pump, etc... core no good so $$$$$$

I hope I am wrong and this is one of many toys and he is flush with cash.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

not being harsh? lmao. you're kicking him while he's down. very harsh. the last **** i want to hear after finding out my motor is gone is "worst car ever" "I dont feel sorry for the guy" .

everyone here has already mentioned the options. it's going to be $10k+ no matter what.

Quick Reply: Need Advice Please - Sell or Fix 2003 911 IMS failure