996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need Advice Please - Sell or Fix 2003 911 IMS failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

OP, read this thread (if you have a bunch of time). It will outline all of your options.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...today-and.html
Old 06-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
It's quite easy actually. I have a home in metropolitan CA. A $10K loan is a rounding error next to the mountain of debt that is my mortgage and very easily ignored. Just ask the my 7-11 cashier that bought a half million dollar home a while back off stated income.

What's hard is refraining from buying a brand new Porsche when I sell my home in a month instead of throwing at a even bigger pile of debt for a new home. Yay CA!
I'm tempted to sell the house and buy 8 on the same street in Ohio and rent 7 of them.

But, Ohio...
Old 06-01-2017, 07:16 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
I'm tempted to sell the house and buy 8 on the same street in Ohio and rent 7 of them.

But, Ohio...
Oh that's ok. Over-leveraging your book is ok if it's done with 'investments'. It's only when you take a loan worth a few paychecks to snag a car that you fall into grave financial danger.

Signed,
Old Farts of Rennlist

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN WITH YOUR AUTO LIENS!
Old 06-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what all needs replacing?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 PM
C4911
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

FWIW I have driven my 4S about 7K miles on the rebuilt engine I bought from Vertex without any problems. I don't know details about the rebuild except they use their own solution to the IMS issue and with purchase you get a year warranty or 12,000 miles.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:32 AM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4911
FWIW I have driven my 4S about 7K miles on the rebuilt engine I bought from Vertex without any problems. I don't know details about the rebuild except they use their own solution to the IMS issue and with purchase you get a year warranty or 12,000 miles.
Do you mind sharing the cost? The engine, installation, and core charge and the extent of the damage your old engine had.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:36 AM
C4911
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Not really comfortable posting numbers but if OP wants to pm me I would share more info....
Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 AM
kbollaert
Instructor

To the OP: by now, you should have noticed that this forum contains some folks with, shall I say, "strong" opinions (think sharks smelling blood in the water).
That said, there is a wealth of good information here.
Was it me, I'd rebuild the origional motor, if it's salvageable. My reasoning is that when you are done, you know that you have a proven commodity. The failure modes of this motor are well known, with proven fixes that can be applied.
My engine cratered after three years of ownership. I rebuilt it myself for a cost north of 8k (quit counting after that). I'm comfortable with this motor now, after the LNE IMSB fix, along with the other improvements made. Now if only I can figure out that vibration at 3k rpm while decelerating...
Old 06-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
fvcking self-righteous old farts represent!

I remember when you had to pay cash for your HOUSE! Argfh, people these days.

The guy took a loan. His car blew up. Don't be a fvcking a55hole, ok? Buncha jackasses all up in this thread.
I agree with you and AWD. It sucks what happened to the guy but at least he's come to a good place to find out his options. He just has to ignore the arrogant ***** who thinks somebody give a f@ck whether they are sympathetic or not.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:00 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 962 Posts

Funny.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:06 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 962 Posts

Does anyone think its odd that no details; name of dealership that sold car? No PPI info? No Indy name that confirmed IMS toast?
Old 06-02-2017, 01:15 PM
rudydude
Instructor

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Oh that's ok. Over-leveraging your book is ok if it's done with 'investments'. It's only when you take a loan worth a few paychecks to snag a car that you fall into grave financial danger.

Signed,
Old Farts of Rennlist

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN WITH YOUR AUTO LIENS!
How quickly old farts forget the housing bust in 08/09. Overleveraging in real estate can sink you pretty fast and a lot harder than a little car. The assumption of is is that houses will increase in value but there is no guarantee of that.
On the other hand the 996 is guaranteed to increase in value over time! Yes!! -that was a joke of course...
Old 06-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Since we are taking a tangent in finances, I will throw my two cents in.

I paid cash for my car using part of my annual bonus, which was pretty good this year. The primary reason was that you can't get traditional low interest rate financing on a car that's more than about 8 years old. Since I haven't quite paid my house off, I owe money on a piece of rental property I purchased last year, and I have some other miscellaneous debt, I think of it as financing my 911 at the highest interest rate I currently pay.

Unless you are completely debt free, then you are paying some interest on your car, even if you paid cash for it. If you are debt free then you have to consider the operation and maintenance costs on your car, and any potential loss associated with not investing the money spent on your car. Then again, I can think of two people off the top of my head who died self made millionaires, but should have spent some of that money enjoying life.

If otterteeth financed his 911, he probably owes more than it is worth right now. A tough spot to be in if you need to come up with another 10k+ to fix it. Walking away from it will ruin his credit for years. If he sells it as a roller, he will probably have to come up with cash to pay the balance of the loan.

He might just end up making payments on a car he can't drive until he can save up the money to fix it. I know at least one person who made years of payments on an uninsured car that burned up in a fire.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:02 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Does anyone think its odd that no details; name of dealership that sold car? No PPI info? No Indy name that confirmed IMS toast?
It's pretty normal here. Lots of random, lightly detailed accounts related to topics that generate a lot of churn. Could be Rennlist interns driving page views for all I know.

"He just has to ignore the arrogant ***** who thinks somebody give a f@ck whether they are sympathetic or not."

^^sense, this statement does make not so much conjugation.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:07 PM
rudydude
Instructor

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Toys shouldn't be financed, that's my opinion of course.
Who said this was a toy? A Porsche 911 is a legitimate daily driver. I'm pretty sure that's what it was built for!

Quick Reply: Need Advice Please - Sell or Fix 2003 911 IMS failure