996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I think I just got burnt!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

First off, we need to see if I can repair the engine. At that time I'l know what collateral damage exists, and if a repair doesn't fit the picture, then we'll know what to do from there. No other approach makes sense. With 113K on the clock, its worth repairing an updating, as long as the issue isn't terminal, or the collateral damage isn't too wide spread.

The used engine is like someone else's X wife, you usually end up finding out why he got rid of her. Today a good used engine is like a piece of precious metal, and they really don't exist.

For the LS, well, that would be your choice, but if I wanted an LS, I'd just sell the car broken and buy a damn Vette....Thats just me.

Now, make sure that whomever locally that tries to diagnose the engine doesn't run it as part of the process. With every rotation of the crankshaft more and more damage is being done. This is taking out the heart of the engine through the possibility of debris passing through the oil system, and etc. I see people diagnose these things to death all the time. Just the amount of time the engine was ran to shoot that video rendered more damage done to the components of the engine.

We push cars around the shop, and won't start them, until an invasive inspection is carried out to see what's going on. One second separates life from death, resurrection, and salvation possibilities. No noise is a good noise within an engine.

Once we see if the engine is repairable or not, then the choice can be made with good judgment. How long you want to be without the car determines a lot in regard to my program, where nothing big bore happens fast. Calendars, and clocks don't impact things around here.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Salty Springs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gnar

I have an 05 4S with 112k on it. I had a VERY SIMILIAR tic in the motor and of course feared the worst. Had it flatbedded to Vortex Motorsports in Tampa. They diagnosed the problem as a failed Catalytic converter. I said "how sure are you?
they said 100%. Had the old cats replaced with new xpipe hi flows 200 cel cats. It now runs perfect. My tic was very noticeable out of the driver side exhaust.
Good Luck
Old 04-23-2017, 02:23 PM
501Max
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gnarbowski
The question that remains is should I do a Raby stocker build, a Raby 3.4 to 3.6, a Raby stage II, or an ls3 swap? I think there are also a few used m96 engines floating around the board, but what fun would that be.
I would send it directly to Jake for his opinion! I have a FSI engine, and developed a great relationship with Jake during my engine build. Jake's knowledge of these engines is a well known established fact. Jake's word is gold with me.

My FSI engine is a beautiful thing, delivered on time, without hassles, turn-key, and ready to rumble.

Last edited by 501Max; 04-23-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:25 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 996 was with me for 11 years, had 125K on it, and I was always worried about bearing failure.
I left my house after warming it up, drove less than a mile and suffered "D chunk", no warning at all.
I had never heard of it before, until after it happened, lol.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I had never heard of it before, until after it happened, lol.
Mode of failure #2 of 29!

I hear that all the time on the failure hotline.... Most people are buying these cars with no understanding of what can happen. I see this mostly from the older folks that in general, do not fancy online forums, facebook, and etc. Unfortunately these folks make up a large part of 996 buyers these days.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:18 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been in your shoes. it sucks, a lot. Feel your pain.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:53 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Mode of failure #2 of 29!

I hear that all the time on the failure hotline.... Most people are buying these cars with no understanding of what can happen. I see this mostly from the older folks that in general, do not fancy online forums, facebook, and etc. Unfortunately these folks make up a large part of 996 buyers these days.
Going into the purchase I knew dann well what I was getting myself into. Life goes on. To be honest, the reality of having to do a rebuild isn't that bad when new displacements are involved. I know Jake's work pretty well and the idea of having a upgraded race engine along with the ims solution seems ideal. Some people pay for medicine to help with their M96 anxiety, I'd rather pay to have the engine fixed correctly.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:33 PM
bpu699

Originally Posted by Agent Jester
it didn't have much longevity left? Really?? I think Riad would disagree since his C4S just went kaput at 215,000. And the guy in the other recent thread who just turned 100,000 and was looking forward to 100,000 more. And I still don't understand why certain posts are going after the OP for the title of his thread or with that buyer beware BS. He never attacked the seller and hasn't requested any advice on litigation, etc. The dude is upset that his excitement in the purchase and planned road trip back almost immediately ended in frustration. He's going to get it diagnosed and taken care of so chill out fellas.
The average new Hondas or toyotas can reasonable do 125,000 to 150,000. That's a car that drives at 1500 rpm most of its life. Some of these car do a million miles, but most don't. Go on cars.com and search for cars with 150,000+ miles. Rare.

Maybe I am old school, but once my cars hit 100k miles I figure I am driving on borrowed time, and anything can happen.

To expect a sports car, that gets rung out to 6000 rpm on a regular basis, to last much over 100,000 miles is optimistic. The old bullet proof cars needed valves and other work at 100k miles.

A 996 motor, or boxster motor, is not an 911 sc motor. The 996 motor is blessed with self destructive tendencies, that will occur as mileage rises.

Despite that, I was thinking about picking up a high mileage 996 or boxster as they are dirt cheap. But I have realistic expectations. To buy a 115,000 mile Porsche for peanuts and expect longevity doesn't sync with my life experiences.

Sure, some cars may make 200,000 miles. Some grenade at 30,000 miles. Anything over 100,000 miles is a gift...
Old 04-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There are few cars as expensive to own as a 'cheap' Porsche. Ask me how I know .....
Caveat Emptor.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
There are few cars as expensive to own as a 'cheap' Porsche. Ask me how I know .....
Caveat Emptor.
I fear I'm in this camp too. The good news is once we have fixed all the issues, we hopefully rest easier than the lucky bastards that have yet to have any major/terminal issues.

Its life, and as you suggest you get to play the upgrade game, and for those in the know, Jake's engines are probably one of the few things you can do to a 996 that seems to actually add value.

(I have no affiliation and am not using his services for my rebuild BTW).

I thought about an LS swap, but a Frankenporsche is just that. A 911 has a flat 6, that is just how it is.

We will get to drive them like we stole them once fixed, and damn the dent to the wallet.

Good luck and enjoy the process.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:06 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Montychristo128
I fear I'm in this camp too. The good news is once we have fixed all the issues, we hopefully rest easier than the lucky bastards that have yet to have any major/terminal issues.

Its life, and as you suggest you get to play the upgrade game, and for those in the know, Jake's engines are probably one of the few things you can do to a 996 that seems to actually add value.

(I have no affiliation and am not using his services for my rebuild BTW).

I thought about an LS swap, but a Frankenporsche is just that. A 911 has a flat 6, that is just how it is.

We will get to drive them like we stole them once fixed, and damn the dent to the wallet.

Good luck and enjoy the process.
Thanks for being positive, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

I love my 996 and all, but if it blew up tomorrow I don't think I love it enough to spend more than its original cost to me to get the engine rebuilt. Blasphemy, I know.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:04 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,701 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
The average new Hondas or toyotas can reasonable do 125,000 to 150,000. That's a car that drives at 1500 rpm most of its life. Some of these car do a million miles, but most don't. Go on cars.com and search for cars with 150,000+ miles. Rare.

Maybe I am old school, but once my cars hit 100k miles I figure I am driving on borrowed time, and anything can happen.

To expect a sports car, that gets rung out to 6000 rpm on a regular basis, to last much over 100,000 miles is optimistic. The old bullet proof cars needed valves and other work at 100k miles.

A 996 motor, or boxster motor, is not an 911 sc motor. The 996 motor is blessed with self destructive tendencies, that will occur as mileage rises.

Despite that, I was thinking about picking up a high mileage 996 or boxster as they are dirt cheap. But I have realistic expectations. To buy a 115,000 mile Porsche for peanuts and expect longevity doesn't sync with my life experiences.

Sure, some cars may make 200,000 miles. Some grenade at 30,000 miles. Anything over 100,000 miles is a gift...
You sound totally clueless and should be over in the Ford Motors Forum. 911's have no problem reaching 175 - 200K miles when properly serviced.
As a matter of fact, if your price point is limited, it is sometimes wise to buy a 911 at the 100K mark considering major services like clutch/suspension/belts are ready for another 75K.

Op hope your car has minor issue and all the best.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:28 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
You sound totally clueless and should be over in the Ford Motors Forum. 911's have no problem reaching 175 - 200K miles when properly serviced.
As a matter of fact, if your price point is limited, it is sometimes wise to buy a 911 at the 100K mark considering major services like clutch/suspension/belts are ready for another 75K.

Thanks my car has been serviced and taken care of. I don't think it was driven too much this winter, which we all know is a no no with these engines. It came with a 3" binder of documents dating back many years.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:43 PM
bpu699

Originally Posted by groovzilla

We are talking about 996s, right? Would love to see evidence of all the cars with 175,000 miles.

Good to hear. Thanks. Having owned a 911s, 911sc, 930, 996, boxster s, 914, 944turbo, etc, etc... Nice to be clueless...

Older 911s are durable, 996s and boxsters aren't. That's why they are cheaper than a toyotas when you hit 100,000 miles. Boxsters can be bought for $6000.

Even 911s may need expensive work to go over 100k miles... Not all, but many.

Anything from head studs, to leaking heads, to valve guides, to thermo reactors, Yada, Yada... 930s often need valve jobs at 60-70,000 miles.

The older Porsches were known for durability. The 996, not so much. That's pretty self evident.

And I love Porsches. Have since I was a kid. But to confuse a 996 with 100,000+ miles with reliability, is wishful thinking.

There is a reason flat 6 is busy...

The op isn't into his car for a lot of money. He has options. Hell, the car might be just fine.

Quick Reply: I think I just got burnt!