Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I think I just got burnt!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017 | 03:55 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Whats wrong with a business plug from one of the best if not the best in the industry? I'd take Jake up on his offer and have it trucked right to him if it where me...Why not?
Old 04-23-2017 | 08:34 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

You were not burned. The ppi was done to your satisfaction by the shop of your choice. Further you had the shop drive it around for an hour. This met your criteria for being satisfied with the car and proceeded to purchase it. If something has gone wrong after it was not on the seller. He was honourable in the transaction. The thread title needs a change.
Old 04-23-2017 | 09:14 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gbug
Classy. Backhand insult to the OP, later followed by a business plug.
What's the insult? That he agrees 1000% that's why he hates selling cars to individuals - quite a reach on your read of the post.
Old 04-23-2017 | 10:05 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
You were not burned. The ppi was done to your satisfaction by the shop of your choice. Further you had the shop drive it around for an hour. This met your criteria for being satisfied with the car and proceeded to purchase it. If something has gone wrong after it was not on the seller. He was honourable in the transaction. The thread title needs a change.
Jamie, the thread title was open to interpretation. I mentioned there was a slight possibility I was screwed over and then noted I thought it was doubtful. I was burnt because I was struck by lightning. Its pretty rare to be struck by lightning and in my opinion after months of research, it is rare for a car to start knocking after 60 miles of ownership. I wrote this thread within an hour of noticing the knock, so you could imagine the thoughts that were going through my head. You're right, I could have used a less ambiguous word, because lightning leaves more than a burn.

I don't know how well you follow the board, but there have been two cars that had 20w50 in them this week that have had substantial problems. Mine is likely a worst scenario. I reacted the way I did because of this information and I was a little suspicious off the bat. I should have spent more money and got the best car I could afford, oh well.

IIll sum this all up as some bad luck and poorly done due diligence on my part. Oh well to be 28 married and without kids. Thankfully we will be fine due to good jobs and great savings habits.

The question that remains is should I do a Raby stocker build, a Raby 3.4 to 3.6, a Raby stage II, or an ls3 swap? I think there are also a few used m96 engines floating around the board, but what fun would that be.
Old 04-23-2017 | 10:15 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Originally Posted by gnarbowski
Jamie, the thread title was open to interpretation. I mentioned there was a slight possibility I was screwed over and then noted I thought it was doubtful. I was burnt because I was struck by lightning. Its pretty rare to be struck by lightning and in my opinion after months of research, it is rare for a car to start knocking after 60 miles of ownership. I wrote this thread within an hour of noticing the knock, so you could imagine the thoughts that were going through my head. You're right, I could have used a less ambiguous word, because lightning leaves more than a burn.

I don't know how well you follow the board, but there have been two cars that had 20w50 in them this week that have had substantial problems. Mine is likely a worst scenario. I reacted the way I did because of this information and I was a little suspicious off the bat. I should have spent more money and got the best car I could afford, oh well.

IIll sum this all up as some bad luck and poorly done due diligence on my part. Oh well to be 28 married and without kids. Thankfully we will be fine due to good jobs and great savings habits.

The question that remains is should I do a Raby stocker build, a Raby 3.4 to 3.6, a Raby stage II, or an ls3 swap? I think there are also a few used m96 engines floating around the board, but what fun would that be.
Until it goes to a competent mechanic I think your just grabbing idea's out of the air. Pretty hard to diagnose from a youtube video, kind of like exhaust shopping they all sound great on youtube.
Old 04-23-2017 | 11:03 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Let's get the easy one out of the way... does the seller bear any responsibility? Absolutely not, for a whole bunch of reasons. The most basic being 'buyer beware.' With any private party sale of a used item, no matter what the seller says, it is 100% the buyer's responsibility to do their due diligence. The OP did make an effort to do this. My opinion is the PPI was crap. I wonder, and I seriously doubt, the mechanic drove the car for a full hour (which may have discovered the problem). Did the mechanic examine the old filter? Either way that's in the past.

Moving forward you are about $15K in on this one. The car needs to go to a true expert to properly diagnose the issue and fix it. I would flatbed the car to an expert you trust and take it from there.
Old 04-23-2017 | 11:06 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Personally I would be driving it home.
Old 04-23-2017 | 11:34 AM
bpu699

When I sell a car, or any vehicle, my bill of sale is very explicit.

Car is as is. Where is. No guarantees at warranties. If this thing explodes 10 seconds after you leave, it's yours. If the devil incarnate comes out of the exhaust, it's yours...

Thankfully, never had issues...

On the flip side,bought an atv this weekend...

Got home, found missing wiring, burned bulbs, water in the gear fluid, hacked wiring, broken brake fluid bleed valves, yes, etc...

Didn't matter. My problem. Fixed it all...

When buying a used vehicle, buy at a price you are comfortable at, should the @@@@ hit the fan...

A 996 with a 115k miles on it didn't have much longevity left. For a stock 996, that's a lot of mileage...

To cheer you up, that may not be rod knock. Could be something loose or another issue.

Hire a tow truck, haul it home, and then worry about it...
Old 04-23-2017 | 11:37 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
Personally I would be driving it home.
I've thought about it, a lot can go wrong in a six hour drive.

I need to get the car back to Ohio regardless because they require a VIN inspection on vehicles at the BMV. Once I get it home I will be shipping it.
Old 04-23-2017 | 11:40 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bpu699

Car is as is. Where is. No guarantees at warranties. If this thing explodes 10 seconds after you leave, it's yours. If the devil incarnate comes out of the exhaust, it's yours...

See, I can't do that.... Even if the person accepts all those things, then its still my fault if they feel they got burned... Why?

Because its easier to be a victim, than a failure.

Even when we work with a local dealer, and stay completely disassociated with the purchase, I still fear that some jerk is going to invent a problem, and make it mine.
Old 04-23-2017 | 11:42 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I've thought about it, a lot can go wrong in a six hour drive.

I need to get the car back to Ohio regardless because they require a VIN inspection on vehicles at the BMV. Once I get it home I will be shipping it.
We'd be happy to help you ship it, even if it doesn't come here. We ship over 100 Porsches per year, all over the USA and Canada, I have excellent mid- west haulers.
Old 04-23-2017 | 12:07 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Originally Posted by bpu699

Thankfully, never had issues...

On the flip side,bought an atv this weekend...

Got home, found missing wiring, burned bulbs, water in the gear fluid, hacked wiring, broken brake fluid bleed valves, yes, etc...

Didn't matter. My problem. Fixed it all...

When buying a used vehicle, buy at a price you are comfortable at, should the @@@@ hit the fan...

A 996 with a 115k miles on it didn't have much longevity left. For a stock 996, that's a lot of mileage...
it didn't have much longevity left? Really?? I think Riad would disagree since his C4S just went kaput at 215,000. And the guy in the other recent thread who just turned 100,000 and was looking forward to 100,000 more. And I still don't understand why certain posts are going after the OP for the title of his thread or with that buyer beware BS. He never attacked the seller and hasn't requested any advice on litigation, etc. The dude is upset that his excitement in the purchase and planned road trip back almost immediately ended in frustration. He's going to get it diagnosed and taken care of so chill out fellas.
Old 04-23-2017 | 12:44 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Agent Jester
it didn't have much longevity left? Really?? I think Riad would disagree since his C4S just went kaput at 215,000. And the guy in the other recent thread who just turned 100,000 and was looking forward to 100,000 more. And I still don't understand why certain posts are going after the OP for the title of his thread or with that buyer beware BS. He never attacked the seller and hasn't requested any advice on litigation, etc. The dude is upset that his excitement in the purchase and planned road trip back almost immediately ended in frustration. He's going to get it diagnosed and taken care of so chill out fellas.
Thanks man. I was expecting to get another 100,000 miles out of the vehicle, so my vibe was definitely killed yesterday. One of the things I've learned in life is that I tend to have bad luck in everything outside of women and work. My situation could definitely be worse.
Old 04-23-2017 | 12:47 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Well said.
Sadly,sometimes Rennlist is just an opportunity for the anger management candidates to display their ugly symptoms.
Back to the subject.
I had a similar 'experience' .Engine failure in less than 200 miles after purchase. Since then I have learned a lot about the M96 ! That's life - it doesn't last very long ,so enjoy as best you can .
You could claim the M96 can be rather fragile until it is upgraded. So this is a great opportunity to do that. Unfortunately (like me) you bought an over-priced "Roller".
The real debate is : do you fit a good-used replacement or get yours rebuilt+upgraded ?
We'll be with you whatever you want to investigate. Been there, done that !
Old 04-23-2017 | 01:49 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

If these are options available to you they are your best options!

Quick Reply: I think I just got burnt!