Sponsored by:

Ben's plenum

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 11:57 PM
Houtx996
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben006
Of course no testing has been done on a 996... since this post is about the oncoming testing on a 996.
Conditions on a 996 will be easier for the plenum, cooler, the plenum is smaller, and has more reinforcement than the 986 one, like I said previously.

The first prototype is painted and cleaned, I hope to test it with Meir soon!

Andrew's one will show up soon!

I will keep the 3D model, even though the 996's is fairly straight forward compared to the 986's.
I've contacted a foundry to make it out of aluminum, since it's a material that people tend to trust more (even if it's less suited for a N/A intake part).
The problem was quantity, I had to make 30 to match the 3D printed price, which is a huge investment for me, in money and time (once cast, you need to machine it, and it's not as simple as throwing the part on a machine and go, especially when you start to make a small series).

Trying it yourself, why not? Though casting hollow parts is not easy, you can take a regular 996 plenum and try to replicate it first!

For the tube, I like the straight tube idea, since we can always cut it to size, that's how I did for the boxster, a puzzle of cut universal intake tube and elbow. Work pretty well in the end!
The plenum is a bit shorter but the throttle body is a bit longer. We'll see!

Ben
Ben, is this meant to solve a problem with the OEM plenum or be an an aftermarket enhancement to net more performance? Looks interesting and a cool project either way. I do think its interesting to see the possibilities that 3d printing offers but would say a standing pressure test is meaningless for something that lives in an engine compartment. I could have stood on a new oem ims, but they still explode. Thanks for allowing the posting of the dyno that's a good start.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:45 AM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

LOL. And he is not that heavy as well.
jokes aside, the plenum doesn’t stand any stress that is even close to what the IMS does. In fact, it stands minimal stress, if at all.
the printed part is made of the same material as the OEM part, minus the imbedded glass fibers.
that’s why Ben made the printed part much thicker, and added the reinforcement ribs.
I have it for over 2 years now, and have no issues whatsoever.
the only issue I had was during installation, as I think the flange where the TB bolts to should be a 1/4” thicker.
that should have pushed the TB to words the air filter, and make the figment of the silicone elbow Better.
I ended up using an aluminum elbow with two silicone couplers on both ends.
to answer your question, the goal off the plenum is to fit a larger TB, taken from the 997 GT3.
I personally feel noticeable increase in torque between 3000-4500 where I spend most of the time.
I absolutely love it, and will get the CF version.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:04 AM
Houtx996
Instructor

Originally Posted by meirschwartz
LOL. And he is not that heavy as well.
jokes aside, the plenum doesn’t stand any stress that is even close to what the IMS does. In fact, it stands minimal stress, if at all.
the printed part is made of the same material as the OEM part, minus the imbedded glass fibers.
that’s why Ben made the printed part much thicker, and added the reinforcement ribs.
I have it for over 2 years now, and have no issues whatsoever.
the only issue I had was during installation, as I think the flange where the TB bolts to should be a 1/4” thicker.
that should have pushed the TB to words the air filter, and make the figment of the silicone elbow Better.
I ended up using an aluminum elbow with two silicone couplers on both ends.
to answer your question, the goal off the plenum is to fit a larger TB, taken from the 997 GT3.
I personally feel noticeable increase in torque between 3000-4500 where I spend most of the time.
I absolutely love it, and will get the CF version.
thanks. Temperature is a SOB and so is pressure. I dont know the pressure forces a plenum faces heat is obvious, hence the questions. In the market for a plenum and saw the prices and options and paused, personally I'm an OEM person, which is why I asked what problem it's trying to solve. Still interesting.

good to know a Prius can run me over and the plenum will be good though
Old 07-20-2020, 10:11 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

People should use their heads when bolting up intake parts that were not properly stress tested. You get a piece flake off that doesn't make it through the valves and you'll have an expensive repair in your hands.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:27 AM
Houtx996
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
People should use their heads when bolting up intake parts that were not properly stress tested. You get a piece flake off that doesn't make it through the valves and you'll have an expensive repair in your hands.
That's a fair point. however, individuals are free to buy any product with zero warranty and assume all the risk. When a seller starts making claims that it's a bulletproof solution is when warranties and insurance discussions become relevant. I've yet to see anyone saying this was a production pice of equipment, and this post is anything more than an innovative project the guy is sharing. Can't say the same for some of the other stuff being peddled here.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:54 PM
Ben006
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Houtx996
thanks. Temperature is a SOB and so is pressure. I dont know the pressure forces a plenum faces heat is obvious, hence the questions. In the market for a plenum and saw the prices and options and paused, personally I'm an OEM person, which is why I asked what problem it's trying to solve. Still interesting.

good to know a Prius can run me over and the plenum will be good though
The standing on the part was just and illustration

As Meir said, the 3D printed part was made in Nylon, without glass filling which makes it softer when hot. So I had to reinforce it with a lot of additional ribs to make it whistand the changes in pressure inside that make the part slightly flex and fatigue.
If you've ever had the origine part in hand removed from a hot engine, you'll be amazed at how flexible it gets ! My part was stiffer in these conditions with the ribs added.

Now I moved away from the 3D printed parts in favor of the carbon fiber ones because :
-people trust carbon fiber more than 3D printed stuff.
-I found a way to drastically reduce the cost of the intricate parts.
-I have them made in series now that I have the funds, which lowers the cost of individual parts compared to 3D printed parts that can only be made individually.

By the way, the 996 version is a new part, but I have been selling the 986 ones for a while now and the 21st to 30th ones will arrive soon So it's not an untested part that I throw out there.

As far as 3D printing intakes goes... my 928 is a good example of what the technology is capable of ! And that's not the final version, just a prototype : https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...oration-8.html

Ben
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 02:34 PM
sub-zero
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Houtx996
That's a fair point. however, individuals are free to buy any product with zero warranty and assume all the risk. When a seller starts making claims that it's a bulletproof solution is when warranties and insurance discussions become relevant. I've yet to see anyone saying this was a production pice of equipment, and this post is anything more than an innovative project the guy is sharing. Can't say the same for some of the other stuff being peddled here.
i had it in my car , i only seen gain after putting 750cc injectors changed to full engine management , if anyone think they hook it up and boom 100hp they are dreaming . NA is not turbo .

Quick Reply: Ben's plenum