Sponsored by:

996 Transmission Rebuild and Pinion Bearing Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Alpina68
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by turbogrill
I am impressed that you manage to pull this off! I removed the front cover and quickly realized it was to much. Sent mine to Gbox and paid $2500...
May I ask what was replaced in your trans for 2500.00
Old 03-10-2020, 03:15 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by infrasilver
OK, I have a contact who says he should be able to get one but I'm not holding my breath. The numbers on my input bearing are
372548 CH84
Made in Brazil by ***
another ID on there is PS 13

I've been up to see my gearbox guy today, he says he can't get the input bearing off without cutting it off as they can't get both shafts in their press, I told him to cut it off which is a pity as it's still in good condition. How did you get yours off as I might be able to stop him from butchering it if there is another way?

See the pictures on post #45 and ready some of my description before and after that post. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-my-diy-3.html
Old 03-10-2020, 03:33 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpina68
May I ask what was replaced in your trans for 2500.00
Pinion bearing, 2nd syncro and I also had them change transmission mount.

Biggest difference was that the noise was all gone, I do tell myself that it shifts smoother as well.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:15 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Ouch!! Looks like they did the same as I'm planning to do and reused the input shaft bearing (only replaced the pinion bearing). You can save $2K if you do all this work yourself and buy the VW bearing.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:31 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Ouch!! Looks like they did the same as I'm planning to do and reused the input shaft bearing (only replaced the pinion bearing). You can save $2K if you do all this work yourself and buy the VW bearing.
I was very happy to pay $2000 for this. I did some research but realized that I couldn't pull it off, seems like you have to tear down the entire gearbox.The assembly of this gearbox was to complicated for me and gears seems to be pressed on with a super mega press.
here is a thread on how to do it.

Good luck and post some pictures!

The more information the more people can DIY this.

Edit:
Did you already do yours? I noticed you posted something in the other thread?

Old 03-10-2020, 06:46 PM
infrasilver
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imo000
See the pictures on post #45 and ready some of my description before and after that post. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-my-diy-3.html
Ah great, I didn't realize am's excellent thread had also been updated this year, I can see your puller, great idea. Looking closely and I think you have managed to remove both outer races and all the bearings, so it just clamps onto the inner race and drags it off?.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:00 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by infrasilver
Ah great, I didn't realize am's excellent thread had also been updated this year, I can see your puller, great idea. Looking closely and I think you have managed to remove both outer races and all the bearings, so it just clamps onto the inner race and drags it off?.

Yes, it just clamps to the inner race and drags it off by using and air impact gun.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:03 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by turbogrill
I was very happy to pay $2000 for this. I did some research but realized that I couldn't pull it off, seems like you have to tear down the entire gearbox.The assembly of this gearbox was to complicated for me and gears seems to be pressed on with a super mega press.
here is a thread on how to do it.

Good luck and post some pictures!

The more information the more people can DIY this.

Edit:
Did you already do yours? I noticed you posted something in the other thread?
I'm in the finishing stages of putting mine back together. The bearing is already swapped and the gears are almost all pressed back onto the shaft. Honestly, it looks more complicated than it really is. You do need a level of understanding how to do this but it isn't that bad.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:29 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Came across a You Tube 996 transmission rebuild series. Looks like it was posted last summer and shows a lot what it takes to take apart one of these units. This will help anyone in the future that wants to do this work themselves. The episode where the spring loaded ***** are installed starts at the 5:25 mark.
Well worth the watch before tackling any internal work.
The following users liked this post:
cds72911 (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 01:51 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Good info (but OMG, mute the music). The "stones" in his gearbox are a different shape than in mine were (mine were more rectangular, not rounded). His technique is awesome, I struggled with this for hours and hours. Don't let this video fool you, those spring/ball/stone things are a HUGE pain. Hands down the most frustrating thing I've ever done on any car.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:20 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by cds72911
Good info (but OMG, mute the music). The "stones" in his gearbox are a different shape than in mine were (mine were more rectangular, not rounded). His technique is awesome, I struggled with this for hours and hours. Don't let this video fool you, those spring/ball/stone things are a HUGE pain. Hands down the most frustrating thing I've ever done on any car.
Mine are rectangular too.
Now here is the interesting part if forgot to mention. I broke one of the springs a couple weeks ago so ordered 3 new ones from the dealer and picked them up op Monday. Last night when I was starting to put them in, noticed that the new ones are slightly shorter. About one turn of the coil shorter. Checked the part number on the shipping bag and they are the correct ones. Looks like Porsche updated this part and now they are slightly shorter. This should make installation easier regardless of the method.
cds72911 (03-11-2020)
Old 10-27-2021, 12:30 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by am
Here on the first photo the bolt that I had to remove to be able to take off the nose cone. Maybe in Nick's instructions he did'nt mentioned it cause the assembly that it holds inside (second photo) came with his cone. In my case I was able to lift the cone only about 3/4 of an inch.
I reinstalled the bolt and the small shaft and gear assembly in the nose cone for reassembly later.
After struggling with my nose cone, I found the single online reference to this mystery 13mm bolt and figured my troubles were over....So, removed the bolt and still no nose cone relief!

Anyone know why mine won't come off?

My car is a 2000 Boxster S (6 speed) and my problem for doing all this is that the 2nd gear detent wouldn't come out (and still won't come out) so that is still installed in the case.
My magnet has metal shavings but not sure how much is normal, if any.
Anyway, is there something else that may be holding the nose cone on? Or is it just a matter of those internal pieces in the pics above getting stuck on something?

Last edited by superloaf; 10-27-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:55 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
After struggling with my nose cone, I found the single online reference to this mystery 13mm bolt and figured my troubles were over....So, removed the bolt and still no nose cone relief!

Anyone know why mine won't come off?

My car is a 2000 Boxster S (6 speed) and my problem for doing all this is that the 2nd gear detent wouldn't come out (and still won't come out) so that is still installed in the case.
My magnet has metal shavings but not sure how much is normal, if any.
Anyway, is there something else that may be holding the nose cone on? Or is it just a matter of those internal pieces in the pics above getting stuck on something?

Got it...

It was a bent detent and broken "shift segment" as Porsche calls it that was interfering with the gear selector.
am (10-27-2021)

Quick Reply: 996 Transmission Rebuild and Pinion Bearing Replacement DIY