996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Transmission Rebuild and Pinion Bearing Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:33 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Well done Coltti and Europorsche914 -your split bearing find is an excellent way of breaking the Porsche price extortion.
Thank you for sharing.
Wake up ECS Tuning - advertise the part as fitting Porsche gearboxes - if it does ???
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ing/0a3311133/
Old 12-18-2017, 01:33 AM
HTCI
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by am
Could someone please help me on how to remove the nose cone on my C4 ???
Nickhend's instructions say that the cone is ready to remove right after the bolts are off. It's what I did but the best I could get is to separate the cone for about 3/4 of an inch. The shifter looks like still linked to something Inside. I must begin in neutral and begin separating and shift in a gear to lift further until it's stuck at 3/4 of an inch.
See my thread for nose cone/rear transmission cover removal: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-proje...on-repair.html

Design is the same. Just loosen detent screw almost completely and rotate external gear selector as you pull rear cover away. Detent might fall out so best to do this while transmission is horizontal unless you are experienced.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:23 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Update: My local VW dealer can get this pinion bearing (0A3-311-133) in a week for under $140 CDN. I'm going to order one through them and report back. The parts guy said it was for a 2003-2005 Passat 6-speed

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Well done Coltti and Europorsche914 -your split bearing find is an excellent way of breaking the Porsche price extortion.
Thank you for sharing.
Wake up ECS Tuning - advertise the part as fitting Porsche gearboxes - if it does ???
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ing/0a3311133/

Has anyone managed to verify that this pinion bearing will fit the 996 gearbox?

Last edited by Imo000; 01-03-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:01 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Update: My local VW dealer can get this pinion bearing (0A3-311-133) in a week for under $140 CDN. I'm going to order one through them and report back. The parts guy said it was for a 2003-2005 Passat 6-speed

Has anyone managed to verify that this pinion bearing will fit the 996 gearbox?
If I'm not mistaken, that bearing will fit the upper (input shaft) 73mm, the lower pinion bearing is 93mm. I found a supplier for the OEM *** 93mm bearing and bought a couple extra a few years ago. I can send you the 93mm pinion bearing for $265usd.
The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (01-03-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 10:03 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
If I'm not mistaken, that bearing will fit the upper (input shaft) 73mm, the lower pinion bearing is 93mm. I found a supplier for the OEM *** 93mm bearing and bought a couple extra a few years ago. I can send you the 93mm pinion bearing for $265usd.
The VW parts catalog description shows it's a 93mm bearing so it should be the same as the lower/larger pinion bearing. Will find out this week when the bearing arrived. Here is the link to the catalog: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a6.../3/311-311070/
Old 01-06-2020, 12:35 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Excellent detective work guys. Thank you for sharing the details- without which future users would be unable to do this repair .Rennlist at it's best.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:01 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Picked up the Audi/VW bearing and looks exactly like the larger 996 pinion bearing. Has the same one piece inner race with a split outer race. The outer race has the step on the pinion gear side and the OD and the width are the same. Will check ID when the old bearing comes off but from the VW catalog parts description, it should be the same ID as the 996 bearing. The bearing is made by ***. There are some other numbers that I will make note later. Taxes in it was $137 CDN. at my local VW dealership. Since this bearing was also a pinion bearing on a 6-speed Passat, I'm confident that it is the same bearing as the 996 one from Porsche but at a much lower price. Pelican Parts sells this bearing for $402 USD. I got mine for around $100 USD at the local VW dealer so there was no shipping cost. That's one heck of a price difference since VW makes money on this too. Even at $265, this is 2.5 times more than at the Vee Dub dealer.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:08 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Picked up the Audi/VW bearing and looks exactly like the larger 996 pinion bearing. Has the same one piece inner race with a split outer race. The outer race has the step on the pinion gear side and the OD and the width are the same. Will check ID when the old bearing comes off but from the VW catalog parts description, it should be the same ID as the 996 bearing. The bearing is made by ***. There are some other numbers that I will make note later. Taxes in it was $137 CDN. at my local VW dealership. Since this bearing was also a pinion bearing on a 6-speed Passat, I'm confident that it is the same bearing as the 996 one from Porsche but at a much lower price. Pelican Parts sells this bearing for $402 USD. I got mine for around $100 USD at the local VW dealer so there was no shipping cost. That's one heck of a price difference since VW makes money on this too. Even at $265, this is 2.5 times more than at the Vee Dub dealer.
Nice score !! But that means I'll lose on these extra bearings I got..lol There is an Audi/Vw part number for the upper 73mm bearing also for about that price, but I can't find my notes, anyway that means for about $200 usd you can replace both big bearing while your in there.. Good deal.Use to when Porsche was the only source anyone could find it would cost about $900 to buy both bearings.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:27 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Nice score !! But that means I'll lose on these extra bearings I got..lol There is an Audi/Vw part number for the upper 73mm bearing also for about that price, but I can't find my notes, anyway that means for about $200 usd you can replace both big bearing while your in there.. Good deal.Use to when Porsche was the only source anyone could find it would cost about $900 to buy both bearings.

You can try putting them up on eBay and maybe they will sell at $265. I know this sucks as I was ready to PM you to get your bearing until I stumbled onto this from this tread.
What I now need is the large bearing on the main shaft that looks like this one but is smaller is dimension. If I can find that, that would be awesome. Have a feeling that won't happen and I will need to fork out the Porsche tax to buy one. My other plan for that bearing is to make a tool to pull it using the inner race. This way I can re use it.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:30 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I am impressed that you manage to pull this off! I removed the front cover and quickly realized it was to much. Sent mine to Gbox and paid $2500...
Old 01-07-2020, 01:49 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

You can try putting them up on eBay and maybe they will sell at $265. I know this sucks as I was ready to PM you to get your bearing until I stumbled onto this from this tread.
What I now need is the large bearing on the main shaft that looks like this one but is smaller is dimension. If I can find that, that would be awesome. Have a feeling that won't happen and I will need to fork out the Porsche tax to buy one. My other plan for that bearing is to make a tool to pull it using the inner race. This way I can re use it.
They have been up on E-bay or over a year, not many people are DIYing a G96 trans repair.

If you dig in the Audi/Vw trans parts , you will find that 73mm bearing, it in there. I have so many notes from the last two decades on Porsche stuff they are scattered to where I can't find ****...lol. That part number is also in one of these pinion bearing threads.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

They have been up on E-bay or over a year, not many people are DIYing a G96 trans repair.

If you dig in the Audi/Vw trans parts , you will find that 73mm bearing, it in there. I have so many notes from the last two decades on Porsche stuff they are scattered to where I can't find ****...lol. That part number is also in one of these pinion bearing threads.

Awesome, I'll keep digging then. Thanks for the heads up. Give it time and the 996 owners will slowly become DIY'ers too. This is how the 928 owners were 20 years ago and then within a few years a bunch of DIY'ers started owning them. Since I bought my non running 996, 7 years ago, I have noticed the change on this forum too.
The following users liked this post:
infrasilver (03-03-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 07:46 PM
infrasilver
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great find on the 93mm bearing, I have been following this thread for a while, I don't suppose you guys have come up with the VAG 72mm bearing, I have sent my gearbox to be rebuilt, due to 3rd gear losing teeth and have been told I will need two new bearings, I can only assume they will be two expensive pinion and input bearings, I go up to look at it tomorrow to see which ones they are referring to but I would like to find out the 72mm bearing in advance just in case that is one of them it needs?

I did spend a few hours over the weekend trying to find this elusive bearing on the VAG gearbox parts catalogs so I could post up if I came across it but I can't find anything similar?
Old 03-10-2020, 10:20 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I haven't found an input bearing either but stopped looking when I figured out how to safely remove the existing one for re use.
Since I'm typing, here is a small update. Had to wait 2 weeks to get a replacement 2nd gear shifter ring detent spring (the 3 small ones holding the detent ***** inside the shifter ring. Broke one of them when trying to re assemble the shifter ring. Part came in yesterday so hopefully I can re start working on this in the next couple days.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:50 AM
infrasilver
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, I have a contact who says he should be able to get one but I'm not holding my breath. The numbers on my input bearing are
372548 CH84
Made in Brazil by ***
another ID on there is PS 13

I've been up to see my gearbox guy today, he says he can't get the input bearing off without cutting it off as they can't get both shafts in their press, I told him to cut it off which is a pity as it's still in good condition. How did you get yours off as I might be able to stop him from butchering it if there is another way?

Quick Reply: 996 Transmission Rebuild and Pinion Bearing Replacement DIY