996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

1999 Porsche 996 C4 Pinion bearing replacement my DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Great Job! Certainly not for the faint of heart...
Old 04-20-2017, 03:30 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank's.
I must admit that I have had a few moments of high anxiety
Old 04-20-2017, 04:52 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

I do have a question, How did you reinstall the Input shaft to the bearing retainer with the Input shaft bearing installed on the shaft, I have never been able to do it
Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

We had discussed the possibility of buying a generic 'Truck" bearing for this job. I had emailed a supplier in China with all the bearing specs,part number and dimensions several months ago.
I finally got a generic reply copied below.Not encouraging.
"This is chris from YTG Industrial Bearing Co.,Ltd.(China)which is specializing
in bearings for many years. According to your information ,
we'd like to introduce those items for you.

Item price/pcs
CSB213 $4.17
sH2334 $18.33
H216 $1.67
H316 $1.83
MT215 $5.83
NA203 $1.17
NA211 $3.67
NEL206 $1.17

We will be happy to give you a quotation upon receipt of your detailed requirements.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Best Regards,
Chris.
Email: chris@ytgbearings.com
Cell&Whatsapp:+8615209863012
facebook:bearings37@hotmail.com "
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgmark
I do have a question, How did you reinstall the Input shaft to the bearing retainer with the Input shaft bearing installed on the shaft, I have never been able to do it
Check this thread post #9. I 've cut the bearing retainer
Old 04-21-2017, 10:15 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
We had discussed the possibility of buying a generic 'Truck" bearing for this job. I had emailed a supplier in China with all the bearing specs,part number and dimensions several months ago.
I finally got a generic reply copied below.Not encouraging.
"This is chris from YTG Industrial Bearing Co.,Ltd.(China)which is specializing
in bearings for many years. According to your information ,
we'd like to introduce those items for you.

Item price/pcs
CSB213 $4.17
sH2334 $18.33
H216 $1.67
H316 $1.83
MT215 $5.83
NA203 $1.17
NA211 $3.67
NEL206 $1.17

We will be happy to give you a quotation upon receipt of your detailed requirements.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Best Regards,
Chris.
Email: chris@ytgbearings.com
Cell&Whatsapp:+8615209863012
facebook:bearings37@hotmail.com "
Is it a list of the bearing components??
Old 01-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by am
Here is a photo of my pinion bearing installed where we can see the ''notch'' I was talking about previously.
I just finished the first part of reassembly and I have a couple of good infos.
I decided to leave the seals of the pinion bearing in place cause I said to myself '' the original Porsche bearing with magic grease had last 100 000 miles so if I leave it like that I will be sure to drive it a very long time before worrying''
Wrong, I opened the split pinion bearing and saw that there was only a bit of yellowish grease Inside. The bearing was in place but I have been able to remove both seals (first and second photo).
Also I attached the steel plate to the steel bar I used to sit the shaft on. It assured the steel plate and the shim to stay in place while pressing the first gear to go back on (third photo).
I'm halfway done, I've put back separately the gears that needed 25 tons to be remove together. The worst has needed around 15 tons to go back in place.
Here where I stopped tonight (fourth photo)
Last photo shows the 1 inch X 2 inch steel bar I used to sit the shaft. It bent a little bit
Great write up, I'm in the middle of replacing the same bearings too. How is the trimmed bearing retaining plate holding up so far?
Old 01-03-2020, 01:53 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think I did the job around 12000 kms and it still runs fine and quiet. Like new
I changed the tranny oil before the last season and the oil was fine without any significant debris.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:03 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by am
I think I did the job around 12000 kms and it still runs fine and quiet. Like new
I changed the tranny oil before the last season and the oil was fine without any significant debris.

Perfect! I'm doing the same then.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:13 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool... let us know how it went
Old 01-28-2020, 10:28 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by am
Cool... let us know how it went
I've built a bearing puller that grabs the input shaft bearing inner race and pulls it off the shaft without any damage. The contact part of the puller is bronze and the rest is steel. The entire contraption looks sort of like this (https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...or/A-p2990103e) Then two long threaded rods are connected to the puller and a plate with some nuts and a centre bolt pulled the bearing off the input shaft. Wish Rennlist would allow non members to post pictures as that would make this write up a lot easier to understand. Anyways, this way now I can re use this bearing, only need to replace the damaged pinion bearing and save a bunch of this repair. After all this is just a repair not a rebuild. If all this works out the way things are going then, the pinion bearing replacement will be $140CDN (for the *** pinion bearing) and then add to this is the cost of gear oil and flange sealant.

Also I've trimmed the bearing retaining plate yesterday and the main shaft gear stack slid out, just like it did for you. Thanks for figuring this out, this is going to save a ton of work for anyone that does this.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:52 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
I've built a bearing puller that grabs the input shaft bearing inner race and pulls it off the shaft without any damage. The contact part of the puller is bronze and the rest is steel. The entire contraption looks sort of like this (https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...or/A-p2990103e) Then two long threaded rods are connected to the puller and a plate with some nuts and a centre bolt pulled the bearing off the input shaft. Wish Rennlist would allow non members to post pictures as that would make this write up a lot easier to understand. Anyways, this way now I can re use this bearing, only need to replace the damaged pinion bearing and save a bunch of this repair. After all this is just a repair not a rebuild. If all this works out the way things are going then, the pinion bearing replacement will be $140CDN (for the *** pinion bearing) and then add to this is the cost of gear oil and flange sealant.

Also I've trimmed the bearing retaining plate yesterday and the main shaft gear stack slid out, just like it did for you. Thanks for figuring this out, this is going to save a ton of work for anyone that does this.
Thank you for the feedback and for shearing the improvement of the method. You could try to send me a photo of the stting you used by private message and I could place them here for you. Did you unseal the new pinion bearing before installation?
Old 01-30-2020, 10:34 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by am
Thank you for the feedback and for shearing the improvement of the method. You could try to send me a photo of the stting you used by private message and I could place them here for you. Did you unseal the new pinion bearing before installation?

Sent you a PM. Haven't got to the point of pulling the pinion bearing yet but in the next few days, I'm going to start pulling the gears off the pinion shaft to get to the failed bearing. Haven't decided yet about the keeping or removing the seals. You have removed them right?
Old 01-30-2020, 11:34 AM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
Sent you a PM. Haven't got to the point of pulling the pinion bearing yet but in the next few days, I'm going to start pulling the gears off the pinion shaft to get to the failed bearing. Haven't decided yet about the keeping or removing the seals. You have removed them right?
I got your pm. Yes you should remove the seals. I bought my bearings from Porsche and unlike the original ones in the tranny, there was just a bit of grease inside them. I can imagine what would happened after a few thousand miles
Old 02-01-2020, 12:15 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are 4 interesting photos of the puller Imo000 made and used to remove the auxiliary shaft bearing. Looks very well made

Quick Reply: 1999 Porsche 996 C4 Pinion bearing replacement my DIY