Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Nice! That will make it hum!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:36 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

This is amazing for two reasons:
1) Fantastic write up and certainly learned a lot by reading through
2) I also learned that as handy as I think I am I could never do this as a DIY. Way above my pay grade. :-)

Thanks for sharing
Old 02-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 25 tons of force to remove the gears but nothing broke/bent

For those that are following this saga because they plan to follow the advice given - tell us about those 25 tons ?
What jigs,reinforcements,pipes or other kit did you use to prevent any damage?
One of the old threads mentioned using a tube as reinforcement to prevent bending of the shaft when re-fitting the bearings. IIRC it was from the front strut of an Audi !
Old 02-05-2017, 06:39 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the delay. Like I wrote before I will post a new thread to give more détails of how I did it as soon as I have more time. For now I only removed everything from the secondary shaft. I did'nt have to use a special tool or strut from an Audi cause the secondary shaft of a C4 is not hollow. I directly press on the tip of the shaft but with the adapter I made to secure the operation. The tip of the shaft goes in the small sleeve and the other side on the piston of the press so there is no way for the shaft to slip and go away. (see photos)
The first time I pressed I removed everything before the first gear. Then everything before the second gear (like on the photo) These were easy to remove.
The one that needed over 25 tons were the 2 i had to remove together almost at the end. Beside that everyting went fine. If ever someone need help just PM me the time I start a new thread
Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Interesting that the two most informative and enterprising threads on this important subject are Canadians. Thank you neighbors !
Old 02-05-2017, 10:38 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lol it just hapenned like that
Old 02-06-2017, 09:44 AM
NickHend
Intermediate

Nice work!

Its amazing how a little spot on the bearing can cause all the noise.

Am have you decided if you are going to remove the grease seals on the new bearings or leave on? I had trouble making this decision, but decided to leave mine installed.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:36 AM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is not easy to mutilate a so expensive brand new bearing so I understand your hesitation. I just ordered the from Porsche at $690 cdn + tx's. If it's possible I will remove the seals. I imagine that I'll have to get rid of the grease before installing them? I'm more confident with this option. I'll plan to change the tranny oil often. Maybe in a short period of use after the rebuilt.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,100 Posts

Originally Posted by am
It is not easy to mutilate a so expensive brand new bearing so I understand your hesitation. I just ordered the from Porsche at $690 cdn + tx's. If it's possible I will remove the seals. I imagine that I'll have to get rid of the grease before installing them? I'm more confident with this option. I'll plan to change the tranny oil often. Maybe in a short period of use after the rebuilt.
I guess you missed my post #29. I have the *** 99630280800 bearing for $345, A LOT cheaper than Porsche?
Old 02-06-2017, 04:57 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

As a Porsche Tech (?) there is much advice you could offer to help with this very difficult task ? All I saw in Post 29 was a for sale ad.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
As a Porsche Tech (?) there is much advice you could offer to help with this very difficult task ? All I saw in Post 29 was a for sale ad.
True, and I would love to give my advice, it's just that I never can tell how technical to get, I lose people at both ends of the spectrum. If I go too technical some can not follow, If I keep it simple some think I'm well , not knowledgeable. I had this problem before I retired from the Porsche Dealership with holding Tech sessions for PCA members.. You have a vast range of people in your audience. Some will say your too technical some will say not technical enough. I have found on these forums that the members are for the most part VERY capable of answering the questions and procedures that come up here, and if there is something that is out of everyone's league, it is usually so complicated that it would be difficult to follow in a forum.

If someone asks a question that does not get answered. or is answered incorrectly I will try to chime in.

I willl give a bit of advise on this subject, after you press the gears and to do a repair, stamp an R on the case near the transmission number, every time the gears are pressed off the press fit gets a bit looser, 3 R's and the transmission should be replaced due to the press fit being too the point that the gears could slip on the shaft in high torque situations. The first time you press off the gears it will take 25-30 tons, the second time 20-25 tons, the third time 15-20 tons.

Last edited by Porschetech3; 02-06-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:30 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I guess you missed my post #29. I have the *** 99630280800 bearing for $345, A LOT cheaper than Porsche?
Yes I did see your offer but I needed the pinion bearing and the main shaft bearing. At a certain parts store the main shaft bearing is $272 and the pinion is $395 so it's $667 + shipping + customs and taxes. I'll have them at Porsche for $690 cdn which makes around $505 us these days + taxes. So it was a lot cheaper to buy them at the dealer and get them in 4 to 5 days.
The pinion bearing is $383 cdn alone (around $280 us)
Thank's anyway.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by am
Yes I did see your offer but I needed the pinion bearing and the main shaft bearing. At a certain parts store the main shaft bearing is $272 and the pinion is $395 so it's $667 + shipping + customs and taxes. I'll have them at Porsche for $690 cdn which makes around $505 us these days + taxes. So it was a lot cheaper to buy them at the dealer and get them in 4 to 5 days.
The pinion bearing is $383 cdn alone (around $280 us)
Thank's anyway.
WOW !! Yes you got a great deal !! Which Porsche dealer did you get these from?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
WOW !! Yes you got a great deal !! Which Porsche dealer did you get these from?
If you read Post 17 ,you could have got them cheaper :-).Go Wayne @ Pelican !
Meanwhile we are hoping Spud72 chimes in and helps us source an *** bearing for the main shaft and pinion.Not an *** bearing with a Porsche part number on it and a huge Porsche tax!
Spud72 said :"I am a bearing guy (25 years) I would love to know the markings on them and potentially dimensions if needed. "
Hoping to hear from Spud72.
There has to be an *** dealer who has these ? BTW they are fitted to Volvo truck axles !
See this thread for more:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-absence.html
"Here are a few infos on the bearings as I continue the procedure to change them.
The number on the primary shaft double ball bearing is : 572548C.H84 The dimensions are 72mm O.D. 35 mm I.D. and thickness 34mm.
I also found this old thread where they mention Porsche parts numbers for 2 bearings. Probably for the main shaft and the pinion. It's a post of 2006 so maybe things have changed about availabilities.

Also the O.D. of the pinion bearing is 93 mm.
The other dimensions will come in a few days when I'll will be done disassembling them (I hope)."
and some other fool said:
"Here is some info on the bearing part numbers you mentioned:
A finders fee offered !
It is an *** Volvo or Mercedes truck axle bearing ?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-bearings.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-bearings.html
These come up as 964 /993 bearings?
Hopefully others are better than me at hunting for you. "
Old 02-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
If you read Post 17 ,you could have got them cheaper :-).Go Wayne @ Pelican !
Meanwhile we are hoping Spud72 chimes in and helps us source an *** bearing for the main shaft and pinion.Not an *** bearing with a Porsche part number on it and a huge Porsche tax!
Spud72 said :"I am a bearing guy (25 years) I would love to know the markings on them and potentially dimensions if needed. "
Hoping to hear from Spud72.
There has to be an *** dealer who has these ? BTW they are fitted to Volvo truck axles !
See this thread for more:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-absence.html
"Here are a few infos on the bearings as I continue the procedure to change them.
The number on the primary shaft double ball bearing is : 572548C.H84 The dimensions are 72mm O.D. 35 mm I.D. and thickness 34mm.
I also found this old thread where they mention Porsche parts numbers for 2 bearings. Probably for the main shaft and the pinion. It's a post of 2006 so maybe things have changed about availabilities.

Also the O.D. of the pinion bearing is 93 mm.
The other dimensions will come in a few days when I'll will be done disassembling them (I hope)."
and some other fool said:
"Here is some info on the bearing part numbers you mentioned:
A finders fee offered !
It is an *** Volvo or Mercedes truck axle bearing ?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-bearings.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-bearings.html
These come up as 964 /993 bearings?
Hopefully others are better than me at hunting for you. "
Looks like Pelican went up on their bearing to $395 !!

The input shaft bearing dimensions are 35x72x34 with split outer race
The pinion shaft bearing dimensions is 48x93x37 with split outer race and has a notch on the outer race for select fit shims. The other bearings I have seen with these dimensions are wheel bearings that fit various models and are split inner race ( for preloading the bearing) and of course has no notch.Both bearings are quite unique, the split outer race is not a common design.

Quick Reply: 996 Transmission Rebuild and Pinion Bearing Replacement DIY