Sponsored by:

996 Transmission Rebuild and Pinion Bearing Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 10:50 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok just found it. I had to remove a bolt about 2.5 inch long with 13 mm head from right side of nose cone. If ever it could help someone else...
Old 01-15-2017, 08:34 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E Johnson
The bearings are indeed a bit of a issue with these, especially as they are sealed units. They tend to fret out inside the races which makes them howl when they are failing. Great write up here. I would caution a few things. Having rebuilt a number of these with a wide variety of companies, I have seen any number of people try to do this build themselves to find that they are WAY over their heads. A 20 or 30 ton press may not be enough to press the gears off the shaft. I know that we have broken more than one of these in the past, and put a fair amount of stress on our 80 ton press, from time to time. Pulling the gears off with a gear puller has also resulted in broken gears with some DIY members. This really is not the easiest gearbox to work on.

Take care not to put too much heat into the box as well, as this will end badly and cost a lot more in the long run.

If anyone has questions or has a need for bearings let me know. I am always here to help.

Erik Johnson - (720) 899-6005
Erik I sent you a pm.
Thank's
Old 01-16-2017, 12:09 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by am
Ok just found it. I had to remove a bolt about 2.5 inch long with 13 mm head from right side of nose cone. If ever it could help someone else...
Well done ! Nobody on this Forum has ever reported that elusive bolt?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I'll be doing this job very soon, my transmission is already out.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:22 AM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Well done ! Nobody on this Forum has ever reported that elusive bolt?
I'll send a photo of it. Maybe nobody mentionned it cause what it holds usually stays in the nose cone? I'll check this evening.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:23 AM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
Thanks for the write up. I'll be doing this job very soon, my transmission is already out.
Do you own a C4 ?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:55 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here on the first photo the bolt that I had to remove to be able to take off the nose cone. Maybe in Nick's instructions he did'nt mentioned it cause the assembly that it holds inside (second photo) came with his cone. In my case I was able to lift the cone only about 3/4 of an inch.
I reinstalled the bolt and the small shaft and gear assembly in the nose cone for reassembly later.
Attached Images   
Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 AM
NickHend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by am
Here on the first photo the bolt that I had to remove to be able to take off the nose cone. Maybe in Nick's instructions he did'nt mentioned it cause the assembly that it holds inside (second photo) came with his cone. In my case I was able to lift the cone only about 3/4 of an inch.
I reinstalled the bolt and the small shaft and gear assembly in the nose cone for reassembly later.
I believe I did remove this bolt to remove the cone. But I think I put it back together assembled so I wasn't sure if it was a required step. Given that you had to remove as well it's probably safe to say it should come out.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by am
Do you own a C4 ?
No, it's just a C2 but the basic steps should be similar I would think.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:37 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NickHend
I believe I did remove this bolt to remove the cone. But I think I put it back together assembled so I wasn't sure if it was a required step. Given that you had to remove as well it's probably safe to say it should come out.
Thank's
Old 01-17-2017, 11:44 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are some photos of the shafts and gears of my C4 tranny.
The shaft of a C4 is not hollow? The end of it where I will have to apply pressure is only about 1/2 of an inch. Will it be ok?
Is it possible to separate the shafts earlier in the procedure like at the beginning? It would be easier to remove gears with jigs I could make to work on the press instead of a puller.
Thank's in advance Nick.
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
gled (07-01-2021)
Old 01-30-2017, 06:28 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, I'll answer my question myself again. If ever it could help someone....
I finished removing the primary and secondary shaft from the tranny case and I don't see any reason to wait until some gears are off from the secondary shaft to remove the bearing of the primary one to separate both shafts. When separated I should be able to remove everything from the secondary shaft by pressing instead of using a puller.

To be continued...
Old 01-30-2017, 07:08 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

This is one of the first DIY threads done by Chris Walrod who is at Singer now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...y-project.html
Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes great thread. I found it before getting into almost same jobs but since it dated from 2011 and making 5 pages I did'nt resuscitated it.
Thank's
Old 02-03-2017, 11:17 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Latest news. I just finished pressing everything out from the secondary shaft. I succeeded with a max pressure of 25 tons. No problems at all. The bearing was out of grease which I never found inside. Probably because the previous owner had the transmission opened and got afraid of the job and closed it back like that but took away Porsche's magic grease before.
On the photo we can see the spot on the bearing race. It makes it sure that it was really the cause of the tranny noise.
As soon as I can I will make another thread on the complete disassembly of C4 transmission with a few tricks I found and used. With Nick Hends DIY it could help very much
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 996 Transmission Rebuild and Pinion Bearing Replacement DIY