996 Transmission Rebuild and Pinion Bearing Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:38 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
WOW !! Yes you got a great deal !! Which Porsche dealer did you get these from?
It was Porsche Québec and yes the price surprised me too.
Maybe they buy their bearings in China now?? lol
Old 02-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,799 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by am
It was Porsche Québec and yes the price surprised me too.
Maybe they buy their bearings in China now?? lol
LOL.. I doubt China is copying these bearings, there are not enough volume for them to be interested. (I think )
Old 02-07-2017, 12:09 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks to Porschetech3 it seems we've established that hunting for generic bearings in this application is futile. But we can still all rush to Quebec to buy the real deal at the best price :-).
This was a really useful discussion Ptech3, thanks for helping out.
But I am still puzzled why when the Google search using the *** part number on the bearing removed (572548C.H84 The dimensions are 72mm O.D. 35 mm I.D. and thickness 34mm. ) produces a hit -yet it is not the correct part.
http://ytgbearing.com/Product/showpr...ing-87290.html
I asked for a quote and will copy it to the Forum if I get a response.
Others have tried and failed:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-bearings.html

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 02-07-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:01 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately no deal from Porsche. The prices I got were for the mistake in post #16 of that thread :
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post13949960
The pinion bearing was much more expensive. I decided to buy it there anyway cause they have been kind taking back the wrong part without restocking fees when it was my mistake. I also won't have to wait for shipping.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:14 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,799 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Yea I kinda thought that deal was too good to be true.Porsche dealers usually can't sell that cheap, unless they buy in great bulk or somehow like Suncoast Porsche seems to do.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:04 PM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I can tell from the design of those bearings they are actually a thrust bearing, which in itself is nothing special but this type of unitized design isn't common in industry, mostly automotive. I am quite certain are not going to follow standard ISO bearing dimensions by what I've seen from the earlier posts. What does that mean? Generally that means a person is SOL as the bearing manufacturer typically will make them proprietary to the OEM.

However, the earlier posts about these bearings being used in other applications (Volvo truck I think?) might give a chance for them to be available if a person is willing to dig and I might be that type of person.

I have personal friends with Schaeffler (***) and if there is a chance of getting these things at all, I should be able to find out as I am owed me some favors. Luckily one friend in particular is a bit of a car guy (Audi TT IIRC) so he might take a personal interest in it for me.

I'll do some research over the coming days and see what I can dig up. I am in the middle of a few big projects right now (both personal and professional.. just bought a new house!) so this won't be my #1 priority for a while, but I'll start the ball rolling.

AM, do you still have the old ones for me to look at if I need to? I'm in Alberta.

Originally Posted by am
Latest news. I just finished pressing everything out from the secondary shaft. I succeeded with a max pressure of 25 tons. No problems at all. The bearing was out of grease which I never found inside. Probably because the previous owner had the transmission opened and got afraid of the job and closed it back like that but took away Porsche's magic grease before.
On the photo we can see the spot on the bearing race. It makes it sure that it was really the cause of the tranny noise.
As soon as I can I will make another thread on the complete disassembly of C4 transmission with a few tricks I found and used. With Nick Hends DIY it could help very much
That is text-book spalling and that bearing was well underway to failure.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:11 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Thank you for helping Spud !
Old 02-19-2017, 10:37 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spud72

AM, do you still have the old ones for me to look at if I need to? I'm in Alberta.

That is text-book spalling and that bearing was well underway to failure.
Yes I still have the whole pinion bearing and all the remains of the main shaft bearing (cause I cut it to be able to separate the shafts. I could ship them to you if you want. I'm in Québec. It should not cost more than 15$ to 20$ I will be glad to pay to ship that to you if it could help the cause.
When you won't need them anymore I could want to get them back maybe.
Let me know
Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 PM
spud72
Instructor

If it comes to that I'd just ask you to throw it on Puro collect on my account. The photos gave me a pretty good idea of what it is and with the #s on it, I hope my Schaeffler guys can work off them. Will let you know.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:24 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

No problem. Let me know if you need them.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:20 PM
spud72
Instructor

I spoke to my buddy at Schaeffler and he's doing some digging for me. I'll let you guys know. Cross your fingers, but don't hold your breath.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:53 AM
spud72
Instructor

Heard back from my *** friend. Both those 2 bearings are under no uncertain terms OEM and beholden to Porsche. If other applications use them, they are either under a different part # or actually aren't the same bearing.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Hmmm ...but the part number is the same. Unfortunately (?) the Chinese bearing source taht listed the part number did not respond to a request for a price.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:39 PM
spud72
Instructor

Do you have a link for that? I must have missed it.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Originally Posted by spud72
Do you have a link for that? I must have missed it.
See Post #63 above on this page and several other links in this same Thread.

Quick Reply: 996 Transmission Rebuild and Pinion Bearing Replacement DIY