Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My IMS Solution DIY installation thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016 | 07:32 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys - I've gotten quite a bit of help from several members on the forum. Without you guys to bounce ideas off it would have been even more difficult. Special thanks to Jake Raby and MeirSchwartz for taking the time to answer some specific questions.

So... SUCCESS! Today I started the engine! Per instructions I started and shut it off 5 times in quick succession. Full oil pressure was built by the third start and everything sounded great. So far, everything related specifically to the IMS Solution appears to be working flawlessly.

However, after the engine idled for a minute I noticed a spot of oil on the garage floor. I left the car up on jacks just in case something like this happened. It turns out that there is oil leaking from one of the timing chain tensioners. DOH! I did not replace the seal rings on them (didn't have the factory service manual at the time) but now that I have looked through the manual it is an 'always replace' part. This, again, was my mistake.

So, I am going to go back out and double check that it is torqued correctly, but I have a feeling I need to get new seal rings and remove the tensioners to install.

That's it for now, for the most part today was just buttoning things up. Triple check everything (oil level, make sure you remove the crank locking tool, etc, etc, etc). I did a full walk around of the car several times and reference the list I put together earlier before I reconnected the battery.

UPDATE: I looked up the torque specs for the timing chain tensioner and it turns out I didn't have it quite tight enough. After tightening it, the leak seems to have stopped. Keeping a close eye on it though. I lowered the car off the jack stands and took it for a test drive with my wife. I drove about a mile, turned around and came back - looked under the car - all looked good. Then, I repeated the process and went a bit further. Since I have a brand new clutch/pressure plate/flywheel as well I am taking it very easy following break in procedures. I kept the revs between 2-4k most of the drive, hitting a max of about 4.5k. So far, everything seems perfect. I'm going to check the garage floor tomorrow morning to see if anything dripped overnight (my front differential seals were leaking previously and I replaced them too, so eager to see if that solved the problem). I'm also going to check the engine oil a few more times for good measure.

It feels GREAT to be in the car again. To top it off, the first short trip a guy in a pickup yelled/screamed 'badass!' out the window as they went by.

Last edited by charlieaf92; 08-17-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2016 | 06:33 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Great job!
Few have done this as a DIY!
Old 08-19-2016 | 07:40 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

yay! awesome to hear
Old 08-19-2016 | 09:00 AM
Montychristo128
Pro

Great work, although I'm going to miss this thread.
Old 08-19-2016 | 09:57 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Congratulations Charlie! Truly an inspiration for all of us DIY'ers. Thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations on this project.
Old 08-19-2016 | 10:39 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Yes, I looked forward to your progress so will miss this thread too. Good to hear about both the errors and successes. Congrats on a job well done!
Old 08-19-2016 | 11:52 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Haha, thanks guys. I, for one, am very happy to be finished. After driving the car the last couple days I can say with absolute certainty that driving it is more enjoyable than laying under it covered in grease in 90+ degree weather.

Now that it is complete I'm going to be putting the IMS pro and supplemental toolkits up for sale, I should never need them again.

Also, for anyone pulling their transmission or installing the IMS Solution, feel free to post here with any questions or PM me. I had some great support from the forum community on this one and would like to pay it forward where possible.
Old 08-19-2016 | 01:28 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

^^ Don't sell the tools yet Charlie, I'm bring my 996 to you to get the IMS solution installed. Jake Raby (even though he lives in spitting distance of me.) wouldn't take my car on as a guinea pig in one of his clinics and so this is your chance to be better and quicker at the solution install the second time around. hahahaha! What do you say partner?

(ok ok ok I'm messin with ya, but was worth a try)
Old 08-21-2016 | 04:28 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by b3freak
^^ Don't sell the tools yet Charlie, I'm bring my 996 to you to get the IMS solution installed. Jake Raby (even though he lives in spitting distance of me.) wouldn't take my car on as a guinea pig in one of his clinics and so this is your chance to be better and quicker at the solution install the second time around. hahahaha! What do you say partner?

(ok ok ok I'm messin with ya, but was worth a try)
Only because the Guinea Pig days have been over for the IMS Solution for over 6 years.... And because we have our own fleet of test cars and never use purchasers as testers. The way that it should be.
Old 08-24-2016 | 11:32 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Quick update: all is perfect. Oil pressure is good, no leaks, engine runs great.

Also, I realized I did not document the final step! So, without further delay, the installation of the IMS Solution sticker. Now, I did quite a bit of research and it appears that the 'proper' place, and the spot used by certified installers, is in the driver's door jam. I went back and forth but ultimately couldn't bring myself to put it there - the door jams are just too beautiful and clean. I opted to install the sticker under the hood. Pros: ascetically I prefer it here. Cons: I will have to point it out if/when I sell the car.
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2016 | 11:37 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Charlie, would be so kind to you share with the 996 forum what you spent on doing this project?

We really appreciate it!
Old 08-24-2016 | 12:05 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Charlie, would be so kind to you share with the 996 forum what you spent on doing this project?

We really appreciate it!
Sure thing, I posted a summary at the start of the thread. It hurts when you add it all up though! I'm sure there are little miscellaneous costs I forgot to include but that is the bulk of it.

Cheers
Charlie
Old 08-24-2016 | 12:14 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Did the $4,800 include the damaged parts you encountered?
Old 08-24-2016 | 12:19 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Did the $4,800 include the damaged parts you encountered?
I keep going back and editing that list as I think of new things... but yeah that is a fairly comprehensive list. There are a few things I ordered that I didn't end up using (rear main seal) that I did not include. The only thing I forgot to add were the flywheel bolts, and the second set that I had to order when I removed the flywheel again to double check some torque settings.

The only failing/damanged parts that I encountered were the front output shaft seals on the differential, and one on the rear. Those are in the cost. That being said, I also rolled one of the new seals while installing and had to buy a second (included in that list) and broke the clutch slave cylinder while re-installing (also included in the list).

Also - remember that list includes what I spent, not necessarily what it would cost someone else. I replaced quite a few other expensive parts while I was in there and I had to buy some tools that others may already own.

I think that is pretty much it - unless maybe I'm forgetting something?
Old 08-24-2016 | 12:22 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Super! Thank you Charlie! Hope you enjoy the car. My best advice at this point is avoid the flip-flops when driving the Porsche or people will confuse you with those guys that drive Miatas. hahahaha

Quick Reply: My IMS Solution DIY installation thread...