Sponsored by:

LN Engineering Billet Oil Plug Fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:25 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Sorry to hear that you had a drain plug fail. Yes, we've redesigned the original version - first to go back to 8mm hex as many were torquing beyond the 19 ft/lb we specify and another revision to make it compatible with 09 and later 9A1 engines. That said, so few ever have problems, I would just advise you to contact LN directly and we'll warranty the drain plug and ship out a replacement no charge for your trouble.
Great job Charles! This is how a proper Rennlist vendor and sponsor acts. Well done. And the reason I have one in my 9A1 991 motor.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:53 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Interesting post as I have one of these with a spin-on filter kit that I have not installed yet as I have only had the car six months and the dealer did a LOF prior to purchase. Kind of scary I must say though it is good to see that you can get the plug out without difficulty is this happens (I hope it was easy at least).
Old 07-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 583 Posts

Not that it will make anyone feel better about a plug failing, but the plug will come out easy. Nice that however it doesn't leak during operation, because of the fact the engine has an AOS on it. It will only leak when the engine is turned off.

I learned the hard way years ago when developing the IMS Solution that if you crack the oil pan, it doesn't leak as long as you keep the engine running! I was in the middle of nowhere Canada when I hit road debris. Made it to a shop where a new pan was waiting for us and we were on our way in no time.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 743 Posts

Not to drag this out much further because it is only a drain plug....Charles, great sponsor and great vendor. Thank you. Yes, once I realized the shoulder gave way, the 10MM bit was still in the drain plug and was easy to remove with just my fingers. No problem at all. I remember when I first got it I thought this is the most beautiful damn drain plug I've ever seen. LOL. I think the idea of going back to the 8MM bit is a very good one. I'm looking forward to my new (replaced under warranty) drain plug tomorrow! Now if I could just get my aches and pains to go away from spending 5 hours under the car replacing spark plugs. Ha! Life is good...
Old 07-20-2016, 02:45 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I learned the hard way years ago when developing the IMS Solution
Slightly confused here, did you jointly develop the IMS Solution with Jake?
Old 07-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Slightly confused here, did you jointly develop the IMS Solution with Jake?
Yes, Charles and I teamed up to develop the IMS Solution. I originally had the Invention, but both of us had an equal amount of time and effort in the product after the original concept; therefore Charles' name is alongside mine on the the US Patent.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:42 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not that it will make anyone feel better about a plug failing, but the plug will come out easy. Nice that however it doesn't leak during operation, because of the fact the engine has an AOS on it. It will only leak when the engine is turned off.

I learned the hard way years ago when developing the IMS Solution that if you crack the oil pan, it doesn't leak as long as you keep the engine running! I was in the middle of nowhere Canada when I hit road debris. Made it to a shop where a new pan was waiting for us and we were on our way in no time.
Eh! Could 'nowhere Canada' have been somewhere south of Edmonton, Alberta?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:12 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
Eh! Could 'nowhere Canada' have been somewhere south of Edmonton, Alberta?
2hrs south of Calgary!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:31 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You were in Alberta, the most beautiful province we have. Consider yourself lucky it wasnt Saskatchewan.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 743 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Not to drag this out much further because it is only a drain plug....Charles, great sponsor and great vendor. Thank you. Yes, once I realized the shoulder gave way, the 10MM bit was still in the drain plug and was easy to remove with just my fingers. No problem at all. I remember when I first got it I thought this is the most beautiful damn drain plug I've ever seen. LOL. I think the idea of going back to the 8MM bit is a very good one. I'm looking forward to my new (replaced under warranty) drain plug tomorrow! Now if I could just get my aches and pains to go away from spending 5 hours under the car replacing spark plugs. Ha! Life is good...
Update - Got a package on Friday and inside was a new drain plug w/washer. LN Engineering, Charles and Stephen stood by their word and all is well. Thanks guys! End of drama....
Old 07-25-2016, 12:49 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
You were in Alberta, the most beautiful province we have. Consider yourself lucky it wasnt Saskatchewan.
I know... We made the trip without a single tool, or spare part with a Stage II 3.8 Track Performer... We were confident!

I told Charles to watch those frost lines in the road, and he hit one running 90 MPH... Thats what caused the issue!
Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Just a thought, could you etch the torque spec on bottom/top?
Old 10-20-2019, 03:43 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Old thread but similar problem with my 8mm magnetic drain plug. I went to change my oil and stripped the hex head hole trying to REMOVE the plug. I can only imagine that I over torqued it when installing. I recall using a torque wrench to do it by the book, but now that I see there is a different spec for the LN plug vs stock, I don't recall which one I used. Based on the stuck drain plug, I guess I used factory specs. Now i'll have to have my Indy get it out. Maybe he can just weld a bolt to the drain plug and get it out without having to drop the pan and drill it out, or worse, replace the pan!

Do torque specs come with the drain plug? I don't recall.

Charles, any chance of sending a replacement plug? I'll contact the shop Monday.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:27 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Old thread but similar problem with my 8mm magnetic drain plug. I went to change my oil and stripped the hex head hole trying to REMOVE the plug. I can only imagine that I over torqued it when installing. I recall using a torque wrench to do it by the book, but now that I see there is a different spec for the LN plug vs stock, I don't recall which one I used. Based on the stuck drain plug, I guess I used factory specs. Now i'll have to have my Indy get it out. Maybe he can just weld a bolt to the drain plug and get it out without having to drop the pan and drill it out, or worse, replace the pan!

Do torque specs come with the drain plug? I don't recall.

Charles, any chance of sending a replacement plug? I'll contact the shop Monday.
Torque specs are shown here but IIRC there was a printed torque spec included in the plastic bag with the drain plug. Over torque or use of torx bit (instead of hex bit) are the usual culprits.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKMAGNETIC.html
Old 10-20-2019, 04:42 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 786 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Torque specs are shown here but IIRC there was a printed torque spec included in the plastic bag with the drain plug. Over torque or use of torx bit (instead of hex bit) are the usual culprits.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKMAGNETIC.html
Yep! 19ft lbs.

Quick Reply: LN Engineering Billet Oil Plug Fail