Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

cylinder scoring - can it be solved with a block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Thanks for the info, Jake. Ignore the trolls.

So, do UK cars/owners do a lot more idling and pre-driving-warm ups than US owners? Even worse fuel quality??
The fuel is another factor that's very suspect. I say this because here in the states these issues just showed up all of a sudden with M96/97 and Cayenne engines as well as AMG engines, which we have developed as well.

Just like the IMSB failure, cylinder failure has no single root cause, it's the recipe of contributions made from the other variables that lead to it.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:42 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
...You can learn all you need to know with an M96 block & piston, a freezer, a bore gauge, and a micrometer. You just have to understand what the engine, and those data points are telling you.
The freezer data only illustrates the behavior of the components during thermal changes, and in a different environment than most things would be precisely measured.

Then grab the piston and hold it in your hands for just 60 seconds and re- measure it. compare what happens before and after with the piston sizing and that gives an indication of how fast the piston responds to combustion chamber temps that elevate and soak into the Pistons on the very first power stroke of the engine.

This is just a simple way that anyone with a few tools can do. When I did this in a Cayenne engine class, every jaw in the room dropped.

Well which is it -- the freezer data will tell you "all you need to know" or that it "only illustrates the behavior...blah,blah,blah" ?

Basically, you will post anything here because 1.) you know it will be eaten up by the mindless posters here without question(i.e. they never hold you to posting concrete data), and 2.) anything that bashes the M96 will be a benefit to your biz.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:22 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The truth is a bitter pill to swallow for some. Certainly there are thousands of 996/997s out there that are unaffected. There also happens to be thousands of 996/997s that are second or third cars and are tucked away in the garage for the winter, only to come out on sunny days.

And the UK and Southwest cars that are driven year around but are still plagued. As has been stated, it sounds like a combination of factors that come into play that may or may not affect one's car.

I can't imagine Jake trying to drum up business - that's silly. The guy sounds overworked and in need of a vacation. If I had a year long back log for engine rebuilds I'd disappear from the forums - he doesn't need to be here for his business. That is clearly evident. But I think the majority of forum members appreciate his insight. I'd like to purchase a 997 someday and find his posts invaluable .

Thanks for your posts, Jake!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

you know it will be eaten up by the mindless posters here without question
What a slam to the membership of this forum. In my last class almost 1/2 the enthusiasts in attendance came from this forum. They were some of the brightest, and intense attendees I have ever experienced in a class. That really means something when you factor in that we've had over 1450 people attend classes since 2007.

These people were not "mindless", in fact they outperformed most technicians that attend these classes!

Its easy to sit here and say that I am posting for business purposes, but I'm a 996 owner too ()got another one last month), and my wife still holds 4 standing Land Speed Records in a 996. I have personally owned and registered more than twenty 996s over the years.

Its plain to see that you don't like me, and I am okay with that. I learned a long time ago, that if you aren't pissing people off in today's world, that you really aren't getting anywhere. Its all Unicorns and Rainbows, isn't it?

I can't imagine Jake trying to drum up business - that's silly. The guy sounds overworked and in need of a vacation.
When I take a vacation, I want to be back at the shop; because this isn't "work" and it never has been.. Well, at least till keyboard warriors make it "work" here on the forums. I am able to do what I do, because I love it.

If I had a year long back log for engine rebuilds I'd disappear from the forums - he doesn't need to be here for his business.
So what if I was here for business? You don't see me making ad posts like other vendors, even though I could, given my monetary support for Rennlist. We don't have to advertise, because the work finds us. This mostly comes from shops that refer work to us that they know is either over their head, or they don't want to attempt. These shops find out about us through classes, or through their parts wholesalers, all of which deal with us and carry the parts that we develop. Very, very, very few are people from these forums, so thats why I don't make those ad posts, because they proved to do us no good. Our purchaser is seldom a forum member, because many people here are DIY. We offer nothing for DIY, and don't sell parts- just engines.

But I think the majority of forum members appreciate his insight. I'd like to purchase a 997 someday and find his posts invaluable
There's always "that 10%". The people who have to constantly stir up drama on the forums. Funny thing is, they always tend to do it only during business hours, probably while they are being paid to do something else. Its a good thing that they don't have me for a boss :-)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:28 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=DreamCarrera;12905712]The troll in this thread is the resident fear mongering vendor who pulls this "freezing" line every winter to scare the crap out of the owners on this site during the winter months. Let me guess, I'll bet JR's engines don't suffer from scoring.

BTW, still waiting for JRs data that proves his cold weather connection...[/QUOT

I do not see any comments here as fear mongering as know one has suggested proactively replacing the cylinders as a fix. The fact is that some engines will score the cylinders and cold weather climates are a contributing factor.

In my previous life as a line mechanic with ford we replaced dozens of Taurus motors for this exact same problem. Unlike Porsche, Ford gave us detailed information on what was causing the issue, excessive expansion of the # 3 and 6 piston skirt due to the rate of expansion of the block in that area. The fix was a redesigned piston with revised skirt webbing. This problem only effected cars operated in cold climates.

And no, the cylinders being used by Flat 6 will not have this problem. If you actually compare the stock liners to the replacements it is obvious.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

and my wife still holds 4 standing Land Speed Records in a 996.
Outstanding! I can see the Little Jake Raby kids on the playground with the school bully:

School Bully: "Well, my mom is prettier than your mom!"

Little Jake Raby: "Well my mom still holds 4 land speed records in a Porsche!" [Little Raby drops microphone on ground, and walks away] [fade to black]
Old 01-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

excessive expansion of the # 3 and 6 piston skirt due to the rate of expansion of the block in that area. The fix was a redesigned piston with revised skirt webbing. This problem only effected cars operated in cold climates.
Perfect example! That happened with the early SHO engines, for sure. I studied those failures and learned that the "cam" of the skirt (the point where the skirt is at it's largest diameter) was an alteration that the factory endeavor used to solve the issue. This is something that I also alter during reconstruction, moving the "cam" up the skirt a bit makes a huge difference in skirt wear.

School Bully: "Well, my mom is prettier than your mom!"

Little Jake Raby: "Well my mom still holds 4 land speed records in a Porsche!" [Little Raby drops microphone on ground, and walks away] [fade to black]
I have a daughter, she is 4... She'll be in a Jr. Dragster as soon as they'll let her :-)
Mom is a great influence on her love with cars. Her favorite toy when she was 2 years old was an IMS Solution prototype.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We offer nothing for DIY
You may not make any/much money money from the DIY crowd, but I think the majority of us would agree that you offer a considerable amount of details and information that makes the DIY life easier.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by gnat
You may not make any/much money money from the DIY crowd, but I think the majority of us would agree that you offer a considerable amount of details and information that makes the DIY life easier.
What "details and info"...I never see JR post any real details, its always conjecture and fear mongering.

I'm still waiting for JR to post the details that he has that are relevant to this topic.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:52 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

What a slam to the membership of this forum. In my last class almost 1/2 the enthusiasts in attendance came from this forum. They were some of the brightest, and intense attendees I have ever experienced in a class. That really means something when you factor in that we've had over 1450 people attend classes since 2007.

These people were not "mindless", in fact they outperformed most technicians that attend these classes!

Its easy to sit here and say that I am posting for business purposes, but I'm a 996 owner too ()got another one last month), and my wife still holds 4 standing Land Speed Records in a 996. I have personally owned and registered more than twenty 996s over the years.

Its plain to see that you don't like me, and I am okay with that. I learned a long time ago, that if you aren't pissing people off in today's world, that you really aren't getting anywhere. Its all Unicorns and Rainbows, isn't it?

When I take a vacation, I want to be back at the shop; because this isn't "work" and it never has been.. Well, at least till keyboard warriors make it "work" here on the forums. I am able to do what I do, because I love it.

So what if I was here for business? You don't see me making ad posts like other vendors, even though I could, given my monetary support for Rennlist. We don't have to advertise, because the work finds us. This mostly comes from shops that refer work to us that they know is either over their head, or they don't want to attempt. These shops find out about us through classes, or through their parts wholesalers, all of which deal with us and carry the parts that we develop. Very, very, very few are people from these forums, so thats why I don't make those ad posts, because they proved to do us no good. Our purchaser is seldom a forum member, because many people here are DIY. We offer nothing for DIY, and don't sell parts- just engines.

There's always "that 10%". The people who have to constantly stir up drama on the forums. Funny thing is, they always tend to do it only during business hours, probably while they are being paid to do something else. Its a good thing that they don't have me for a boss :-)

Still no data?

I'll stop now because I can see that you are on the verge of a whining and crying fit where you'll feel compelled to post a "should I stay or should I go now thread."

I'll get back to work now and stop wasting my boss's/company's money...
Old 01-07-2016, 10:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

I have a daughter, she is 4... She'll be in a Jr. Dragster as soon as they'll let her :-)
Mom is a great influence on her love with cars. Her favorite toy when she was 2 years old was an IMS Solution prototype.
As a father to two daughters, and an employer to many females in my company, I love it when women break stereotypes. I'm all about girl-power.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
I'll stop now
Outstanding.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Perfect example! That happened with the early SHO engines, for sure. I studied those failures and learned that the "cam" of the skirt (the point where the skirt is at it's largest diameter) was an alteration that the factory endeavor used to solve the issue. This is something that I also alter during reconstruction, moving the "cam" up the skirt a bit makes a huge difference in skirt wear.

As I am familiar with the problems on the SHO motors, This problem was present on the plain vanilla 3.0 Vulcan motors. We were replacing 3-4 engines per week at our Dealership.

Getting back to the M96, especially the 3.4's with their weak design its surprising that the failer rate is so low.
The dimensions of the cylinders and pistons have got to be a moving target.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dgmark
As I am familiar with the problems on the SHO motors, This problem was present on the plain vanilla 3.0 Vulcan motors. We were replacing 3-4 engines per week at our Dealership.

Getting back to the M96, especially the 3.4's with their weak design its surprising that the failer rate is so low.
The dimensions of the cylinders and pistons have got to be a moving target.
This is why all the manufacturers in the 90s that went to an "open deck" cylinder design, have now closed the deck back up again. This includes Subaru, that fought horrendous cylinder head gasket issues due to this with their EJ25 engines. Porsche went to a closed deck with the 9a1, and all Cayenne engines are closed deck. The design of the Mezger GT3 and TT engines is also one of a closed deck design, with their water jacket characteristics.

My largest bore engines (102.7mm) have also gone to a proprietary closed deck arrangement, as my development proved that at such a large bore size the cylinders weren't staying as straight I'd like. Doing this opened the doors for even more enhancements, that I am still learning about.

The resource materials I have published with the Knowledge Gruppe, and my assembly guide for the M96 will continue to help with this. I have been contacted to develop a new DIY specific program for another company. This will be what looks like a one stop shop for all things associated with M96/ M97 engines, right down to hardware kits, and internal engine components that are designed to enable the DIY'r. I have not decided whether I want to have any association with it, yet, though. The last thing I need is someone buying a hardware kit, and blaming me when one bolt isn't the right length. I've been through that in the aircooled days, and I basically gave my parts business to LN so I didn't have to field those, or even deal with it.

I do believe that the 996 is the DIY dream right now, and it will remain that way. There is a real need for true step by step guides, compatible parts lists/ parts, and even tools for these engines. We know exactly what people need, and I am sure thats why I am the guy who got the phone call to develop it all... I have a little too much to do with the GT4 engine development, and waiting on the first new turbo 4 cylinder to arrive, so I can get started on it!
Old 01-07-2016, 12:11 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

I agree, there is nothing mystical about assembling the engine. But the DIY'r has to realize that the cylinders and pistons cannot be reused, and sleaving with Iron is not an option. Once the weak parts are replaced I kind of like the design. Off topic, have you found any way to fit a twin scavenge pump on the drivers side of a 996.

Quick Reply: cylinder scoring - can it be solved with a block heater?