Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

cylinder scoring - can it be solved with a block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:52 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Dream Carerra,
How many M96 engines have you disassembled with scored cylinders? How many M96 components have you developed? Where's your data?
Typical response from you...Where is my data??? Where is your data???

There have been almost 200,000 M96 engined cars built by Porsche, many of which have lived and been extensively used in frigid climates with no ill effects. Seriously, if what you profess is true then we would be seeing mass scoring issues with this engine and that is simply not the case.

Post your "freezer" data here. Certainly there are others on here with the same parts that can confirm or deny your figures...after all this isn't rocket science, even though in your own mind you think you are some mechanical genius.

Such a huge number of these cars are regularly driven in freezing temps that if temp was the sole reason for scoring then there would be an overwhelming number of cars exhibiting scoring.

Simple common sense proves you are full of BS...would you really have us believe the top German auto manufacturer built an auto, their flagship model no less, that could not be used in cold weather conditions.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Typical response from you...Where is my data??? Where is your data???

There have been almost 200,000 M96 engined cars built by Porsche, many of which have lived and been extensively used in frigid climates with no ill effects. Seriously, if what you profess is true then we would be seeing mass scoring issues with this engine and that is simply not the case.

Post your "freezer" data here. Certainly there are others on here with the same parts that can confirm or deny your figures...after all this isn't rocket science, even though in your own mind you think you are some mechanical genius.

Such a huge number of these cars are regularly driven in freezing temps that if temp was the sole reason for scoring then there would be an overwhelming number of cars exhibiting scoring.

Simple common sense proves you are full of BS...would you really have us believe the top German auto manufacturer built an auto, their flagship model no less, that could not be used in cold weather conditions.
You haven't answered my questions, sir.

Further, you have not read/ comprehended my posts in this thread, and others on this topic. Cold is the catalyst, as I have stated over and over. The other contributing factors can combine to create the failure without cold operation being in the picture, if given enough time to play out.

Cold operation helps to complete the perfect storm earlier. That's all, and that's why I posted that a block heater won't help.

At the end of the day the biggest factors are cylinder wear surface quality, and the running clearances between the cylinder, and piston.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

What proves that is how many scored cylinders occur in the UK (tons) where the winters are very mild compared to here in the USA.
Where are you getting this data? Hartech?

The same Hartech that basically said IM$B failure is an overblown myth...the same overblown myth that you used to build your biz?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:04 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

And he is not going to nor read/comprehend what you have written (e.g. you clearly stated that you believe cold is a contributing factor an not the source of the problem).

Please turn a new leaf this year and just ignore trolls like this
Old 01-07-2016, 09:04 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

...and you haven't answered mine. I am not attempting to sell anything here. I don't need to supply confirming data...you on the other hand do if you want to receive credibility.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:05 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Where are you getting this data? Hartech?

The same Hartech that basically said IM$B failure is an overblown myth...the same overblown myth that you used to build your biz?
Nope, from our UK customers, and those who inquire with us from the UK and we enter into the failure logs here.

You still have not answered my questions, sir. I have answered yours.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:08 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by gnat
And he is not going to nor read/comprehend what you have written (e.g. you clearly stated that you believe cold is a contributing factor an not the source of the problem).

Please turn a new leaf this year and just ignore trolls like this
HAHA, I am a longtime 996 owner/user just like you. I am in no way a troll.

Contributing factor? JR clearly stated that the "freezer" data would prove his point. This to me sounds like a statement of fact and not a "contributing factor." Well then, let's see the freezer data.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:10 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Nope, from our UK customers, and those who inquire with us from the UK and we enter into the failure logs here.

You answered my question? You provided your proving "freezer" data?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:13 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

You entered UK "inquiries" into your failure log? Sounds quite scientific. Interesting...
Old 01-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,447 Likes on 837 Posts

...and you haven't answered mine. I am not attempting to sell anything here. I don't need to supply confirming data...you on the other hand do if you want to receive credibility.
lol, receive credibility?

From everything I've seen, he has a lot more credibility than Porsche does when it comes to these motors.

As gruff as he can sometimes be, he seems to be the go-to person for m96 motors.

And you...are not. You're some guy who owns the car (hello vested interest) that seems to think every problem these cars have is "fear mongering" because you personally haven't experienced it. Yeah, porsche built a lot of these cars, and not all of them, or even the majority of them have issues. That doesn't mean that the problems presented by Jake are non existent.

YOU, sir, are the one who has no credibility, no experience, no knowledge, and no basis to call BS on anyone, much less Jake.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:17 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I am in no way a troll.
You are being the definition of a troll in this thread.

Contributing factor? JR clearly stated that the "freezer" data would prove his point. This to me sounds like a statement of fact and not a "contributing factor." Well then, let's see the freezer data.
Reading != Comprehending obviously.

Cold is a contributing factor. Cold makes metal contract. Cold makes oil flow less efficiently. Those things make the other issues (tolerances, material issues, etc..) that Jake has described more apparent. Cold doesn't create the issue, but it certainly helps it.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:17 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
lol, receive credibility?

From everything I've seen, he has a lot more credibility than Porsche does when it comes to these motors.

As gruff as he can sometimes be, he seems to be the go-to person for m96 motors.

And you...are not. You're some guy who owns the car (hello vested interest) that seems to think every problem these cars have is "fear mongering" because you personally haven't experienced it. Yeah, porsche built a lot of these cars, and not all of them, or even the majority of them have issues. That doesn't mean that the problems presented by Jake are non existent.

YOU, sir, are the one who has no credibility, no experience, no knowledge, and no basis to call BS on anyone, much less Jake.
You are still an idiot I see who continues to suffer from keyboard tourettes syndrome. As I said to you before, if I need fashion advice I'll send you a PM...
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by gnat
You are being the definition of a troll in this thread.
The troll in this thread is the resident fear mongering vendor who pulls this "freezing" line every winter to scare the crap out of the owners on this site during the winter months. Let me guess, I'll bet JR's engines don't suffer from scoring.

BTW, still waiting for JRs data that proves his cold weather connection...
The following users liked this post:
997Troy (12-15-2019)
Old 01-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The freezer data only illustrates the behavior of the components during thermal changes, and in a different environment than most things would be precisely measured.

Then grab the piston and hold it in your hands for just 60 seconds and re- measure it. compare what happens before and after with the piston sizing and that gives an indication of how fast the piston responds to combustion chamber temps that elevate and soak into the Pistons on the very first power stroke of the engine.

This is just a simple way that anyone with a few tools can do. When I did this in a Cayenne engine class, every jaw in the room dropped.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:32 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

That said, the things I mentioned earlier that go along with this failure, as contributing factors can add up to the problem as well, without the cold factor. What proves that is how many scored cylinders occur in the UK (tons) where the winters are very mild compared to here in the USA.
Thanks for the info, Jake. Ignore the trolls.

So, do UK cars/owners do a lot more idling and pre-driving-warm ups than US owners? Even worse fuel quality??

Quick Reply: cylinder scoring - can it be solved with a block heater?