Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to keep the engine cool / protect it during track days/driver training events

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Foaming
Note 987 tubes supplied- post #67 above.
Oil pickup will be almost 2" lower than OEM -so hopefully well beneath the foam.
A separate thread is required for low-foam oils for the M96.:-). But they are available.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:34 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Vandersmith, does the OEM skid plate work with the slightly lower FVD sump pan?
It does - This isn't a photo of mine. Tomorrow when I put the car on the lift I'll snap some shots. I've heard track debris hit it a few times, has a specific ring to it - which is both reassuring and unsettling
Old 10-29-2015, 04:23 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
@Mikeborden:
Hopefully, this works, because you asked for it.
Thanks!

That's showing them!

Mike
Old 10-29-2015, 05:54 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vandersmith
Mine is the FVD and required another 1.5 quarts of oil. My local Porsche indy shop that typically installs the LN versions thought it was much better designed and reliable than the plastic baffles they see.
Does this mean plastic baffles on the LN version? (Hard to see in pictures if they are plastic.)
Old 10-29-2015, 06:00 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Apologies if this is burried in the thread somewhere, but is there a reputable sump/baffle solution that does not lower the bottom of the oil pan?

And if so, the natural question is: is it enough to improve baffling, pick up points, etc., and not increase oil capacity?

(Yes, I know the OEM skid plate helps. I have one. For a variety of reasons though, I'd prefer not to reduce the space between it and the oil pan.)
Old 10-29-2015, 06:03 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
A separate thread is required for low-foam oils for the M96.:-). But they are available.
I'd agree that "which oil" should be left to seperate threads. But before I go searching for such threads, have you seen convincing arguments or evidence that such oils really are better than the usual suspects (Mobile & Castrol)?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:06 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

"but is there a reputable sump/baffle solution that does not lower the bottom of the oil pan?"
No -I researched this issue carefully.
There is a difference in how deep the replacement sump or spacer is. Some are as much as 2 qts+.Others much less.
The critical issue in my (non-expert)opinion is the effectiveness of the baffles,not so much the depth of the new sump. Some baffles are leaky or too low. So in extreme G the oil pick-up is no longer submerged.
It seems the benchmark is Mantis or FVD ?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Originally Posted by rs10
I'd agree that "which oil" should be left to seperate threads. But before I go searching for such threads, have you seen convincing arguments or evidence that such oils really are better than the usual suspects (Mobile & Castrol)?

Thanks!
According to Jake ,the answer is "Yes".
Old 10-29-2015, 06:56 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
"but is there a reputable sump/baffle solution that does not lower the bottom of the oil pan?"
No -I researched this issue carefully.
There is a difference in how deep the replacement sump or spacer is. Some are as much as 2 qts+.Others much less.
The critical issue in my (non-expert)opinion is the effectiveness of the baffles,not so much the depth of the new sump. Some baffles are leaky or too low. So in extreme G the oil pick-up is no longer submerged.
It seems the benchmark is Mantis or FVD ?
Do you know how much lower the factory X51 pan/baffle kit is? Or how many more quarts? Or is that not a reputable solution? Baffles leaky or too low?

(I followed a link in one of the above posts to Patrick Motorsports description of this, but it didn't mention whether it is lower or increases capacity. They do say this alone is not enough, and one should get an accusump - raising the question whether one also needs an accusump with, for instance FVD or Mantis. Or whether perhaps the Accusump alone is enough.)

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Logically ,I suppose you need input from someone who has tried both Accusump and a deep pan+baffles on the same car,on the same track ?
That person would be Pedro .Perhaps others here?
Lots of useful info to read in the "Chronicals of Sebring"
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/C...g,_part_3.html
Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
Apologies if this is burried in the thread somewhere, but is there a reputable sump/baffle solution that does not lower the bottom of the oil pan?
X51 oil pan
Old 10-29-2015, 08:06 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

X51 Baffle kit:
http://lnengineering.com/products/ot...deep-sump.html

http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...srk-detail.htm

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ump-plate.html
Old 10-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Ernie J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that some are concerned about ground clearance. Not pick to on others deep sumps, but any sump that uses the stock bottom has less ground clearance. The oil pan bottom is 5/8" thick, with the 2L spacers you lose 1" of ground clearance. All 2L sump spacer kits are copy of the Mantissport deep which was designed and produced in 2006.This was developed as we raced the FIRST Cayman S for two years with PCA. Check out Pano issue Sept 2006. With AIM data logging we came up with several versions of Deep Sumps.

None have ever provided as Mantisport does, with race data proving the superior performance of the Mantissport deep sump,posted on another Rennlist thread, built in oil dams,better oil control, which one has yet to be"COPIED", Windage tray,"COPIED" by others, solid bottom design,which gives you 5/8" more ground clearance than the "others", Choice of 1.2L or 2L Deep Sumps. Due to the solid bottom design you have one less joint or possible leak vs the spacer deep sumps. 2L Mantissport solid bottom pan is 1/8" thinner than the 2l spacer pans, plus one less joint that could Leak.

Hope this clears up some history and misconceptions. DFI engine sump coming soon, We use on track data, shaker post, windtunnel testing data to develop product.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Ernie J; 10-30-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:27 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Ernie, thanks for you post! If I may ask a few clarifying questions:
1. How much does ground clearance drop, if at all, with your 1.2 liter sump?
2. DFI? Direct fuel injection, as is 997.2?
3. You wind-tunnel tested the sump? If so, wow! Must be very few in the Porsche modification/tuning business who wind-tunnel test. (Don't suppose you know anything about the lift, drag, and cooling characteristics of the various OEM front and rear bumper, spoiler, wing, and tail options, by the way? :-) )
Old 10-31-2015, 10:01 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

On the bumper question, I went through an old article in Excellence about the C4S. Seems the C4S bumper sends 8% more air to the radiators. Even assuming all that air made it to the smaller radiators on a C2, I guess that does not make a big difference. If one wants to do something about heat issues, one needs to do more. And if one wants to choose the ideal bumper, drag and lift are probably bigger issues (unless one would consider switching to the larger C4S radiators). (And one should be cautious about a bumper designed to send air to different shaped radiators.)

Quick Reply: How to keep the engine cool / protect it during track days/driver training events