996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Where can I buy a X51 oil sump plate ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Where can I buy a X51 oil sump plate ?

I am looking around but nobody has the X51 oil sump plate for sale

Pelican even rejected my order saying they can't get them...

I have not tried suncoast yet.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

LN engineering?

http://www.lnengineering.com/deepsump.html
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

What LN is selling is technically not an X51 pan, but rather a "deep sump" pan with X51 style baffles. I've considered that type of solution, but it does put the bottom of your oil-pan lower. This could lead to you breaking your oil pan if happen to hit something (even a pothole) just right. Personally, I'm not a fan of this solution, but others are.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sunset has a few in stock, they just called me because I had ordered one 7 months ago when I thought ai would replace my cracked oil pan plate with an X51 since I needed to buy something anyway. After much research, though, I found it does nothing for you except replace the plastic baffle and rubber doors with SS and rubber doors, no better at preventing oil pick up starvation at all, unless you have the rest of the X51 system. And I wasn't going to wait 7 months for that. You can buy a SS replacement baffle, w/SS doors aftermarket to bolt in to your existing plate for the price of a new X51. If my baffle had shown any signs at all of any issue, I would replace it, but it looked brand new, so just I went with a new plate.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:16 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maybe

Originally Posted by perryinva
Sunset has a few in stock, they just called me because I had ordered one 7 months ago when I thought ai would replace my cracked oil pan plate with an X51 since I needed to buy something anyway. After much research, though, I found it does nothing for you except replace the plastic baffle and rubber doors with SS and rubber doors, no better at preventing oil pick up starvation at all, unless you have the rest of the X51 system. And I wasn't going to wait 7 months for that. You can buy a SS replacement baffle, w/SS doors aftermarket to bolt in to your existing plate for the price of a new X51. If my baffle had shown any signs at all of any issue, I would replace it, but it looked brand new, so just I went with a new plate.
I have had mine since installing a new crate motor 4 years ago and, along with my shop, highly recommend. I know they have been hard to find. Buy two or three while you can and I am sure someone will thank you for it!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tarett markets this X51 clone made with all stainless parts and no rubber. I use one....

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...srk-detail.htm
Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Tarett markets this X51 clone made with all stainless parts and no rubber. I use one....

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...srk-detail.htm
That is awesome. I chucked my stock piece when upgraded to the X51.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 AM
EBS_Don
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tarett sells the unit we make which takes the X51 design and improves it significantly. They should have good stock on hand as we just shipped them several units. The new deep sump that LN is making features our baffle as well. Feel free to contact me direct with any questions about our products!

Don Weaver-EBS Racing
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 AM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

I really dont see the point of these upgraded baffles. Sure, they remove the rubbet flaps which tend to bend and "stay open". But even so, there is significant leakage around the other sides...they won't keep the oil for more than a second, and the ampunt of ol the engine consumes at high revs means its a short time protection, but in a long 180 sweeper....it won't help. I wonder why there aren't any dry sump systems developed? There are for most other cars, surely there is enough space to fit a pump and tank somewhere in the engine bay?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

You are correct, unless you have a specific reason to go all SS, it is nothing more than a surge baffle and froth eliminator (which is likely more important). There is the Accusump system which is what I would use in a heartbeat if I was a track rat, or go full x51 with one and expanded sump and lengthened pickup if I was a junkie.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
I really dont see the point of these upgraded baffles. Sure, they remove the rubbet flaps which tend to bend and "stay open". But even so, there is significant leakage around the other sides...they won't keep the oil for more than a second, and the ampunt of ol the engine consumes at high revs means its a short time protection, but in a long 180 sweeper....it won't help. I wonder why there aren't any dry sump systems developed? There are for most other cars, surely there is enough space to fit a pump and tank somewhere in the engine bay?
The additional "walls" external to the "primary box" are the most notable improvement besides the superior materials.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
The additional "walls" external to the "primary box" are the most notable improvement besides the superior materials.
What do you mean by "primary box", with this kit, the plastic original is replaced right?

at 1G cornering (not impossible at good street tires, r-tires will do maybe 1.1-1.2G) effectively you can tilt the engine at 45 degrees to the side, the hot oil (near water like viscosity) will run through any gap, these arent fully flush, hence it will just run out of the box.

Convince me, that's all
Old 01-02-2013, 03:45 PM
EBS_Don
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bypro is correct in that the original plastic units allow oil to move all around the baffle without forcing it into the "primary box" where it can be utilized. We have these installed in many cars running R tires with data acquisition to back up the solid performance of our baffle. It does what it is designed to do. Accusumps and additional pumps can help but it's not always in everyone's budget. Also, proper oil cooling is critical, regardless.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

I understand. The shape of the baffles is quite different, does that mean it fits better to the underside of the crankcase than the stock unit? I held the stock up from below and had a look around and it only fits so-so, meaning there are some gaps where oil can escape. This unit must thus be better?

Thanks for spending the time to reply!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

The biggest improvement, that I can tell, is the larger and lower windows of the EBS unit, and the added wings that prevent flow around the baffle. I should have been clearer, if you have the cash for and want to buy an X51, but there is nothing wrong with your plate, then buy the EBS version from LNE. You will get some tangible benefit that the X51 baffe lacks. It does what it is designed to do, which is keep more oil longer where the pickup can get at it, which will reduce starvation incidences, but it can't eliminate stavation without the extra pumps and/or Accusump in all situations. They don't claim it will either. But it does help, whereas I don't see the x51 helping much, if at all.

Quick Reply: Where can I buy a X51 oil sump plate ?